Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 02:58 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
That's not what happened, but I suspect you already know that. You just can't resist making strawman arguments, I guess.

Yet you have the audacity to claim that OP wouldn't be a good employee?

It is written:

In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
Luke 12:1

It is exactly what happened, most of us here told you that it wasn't a real offer, and you were in denial. I can see you are still on that same river, and without a paddle.

*shrugs*

Old 12-30-2014, 05:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Really? Then who selects the candidates hmm? And why was he subjected to four interviews? Its your argument that is invalid.
Well, in my 25+ years experience as a HM, I look at resumes and have HR screen the ones I like. Then I select the top 3-4 to bring in to interview and decide who advances to the next round. Then I decide who to hire.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:13 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Applied for an adjuster trainee position in early November. Did not hear back from them until December and then had to complete over a 150 question personality test (the ones you have to lie on so you aren't kicked out of consideration).

I then went through four total interviews back to back. They obviously knew within the 2nd or 3rd whether they would hire me or not. Despite that, they waited over 2 weeks after the final fourth interview to send a generic rejection email with zero details.

This had me fired up! After this much time invested from me, they could not even provide a single detail or a formal letter/phone call to inform me? Isn't that the least amount of respect to be offered?

They lied about the "competitive pay" that was well below 5k average, required a 2 year contract or you owed them thousands back, offered minimal gas reimbursement and no company vehicle in a position that has you on the road daily with possibly 300 miles plus per day.

Maybe I dodged a bullet if their HR is that rude and their pay/benefits are that dismal.

Trying to see the silver lining here... This honestly seems about the norm these days. What happened to respect and ethics?
Look them up on glassdoor.com. See if that confirms what you suspect.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:35 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Red herring.
The issue at question is whether or not he was treated like garbage. The issue at question was NOT who owns the business.
Fine. In which case, he was not treated like garbage.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:39 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Really? Then who selects the candidates hmm? And why was he subjected to four interviews? Its your argument that is invalid.
Where I work, HR doesn't select or interview candidates; they make sure the collective we comply with hiring policy.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
This post ^^^ is a perfect example of what will keep you from success.

You don't have enough experience to know what the "typical office culture" even looks like.

You worked for ONE SMALL COMPANY, yet you're now able to write off the entire work world because you had a bad boss???

If you keep thinking like that, you will end up misinformed and cynical like a couple of the academics who post here.

It is funny that some posters immediately judge companies and those working in them based on their brief encounter, yet nobody should judge them for their numerous posts dripping with complaints and negativity.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Where I work, HR doesn't select or interview candidates; they make sure the collective we comply with hiring policy.
Ditto.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Ditto.
Likewise. I set the requirements and minimum qualifications for the positions I need to fill and HR deals with the details of posting positions, placing ads, collecting resumes, etc. Any resume screening they do is based upon my criteria.

HR doesn't do phone screens, and they aren't involved in the actual interviews except in a record keeping role.

They do a lot of things that I find valuable, but they do not make decisions on my potential staff, as they do not have the subject area expertise necessary to make informed decisions.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:39 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Likewise. I set the requirements and minimum qualifications for the positions I need to fill and HR deals with the details of posting positions, placing ads, collecting resumes, etc. Any resume screening they do is based upon my criteria.

HR doesn't do phone screens, and they aren't involved in the actual interviews except in a record keeping role.

They do a lot of things that I find valuable, but they do not make decisions on my potential staff, as they do not have the subject area expertise necessary to make informed decisions.
Exactly the same situation for me, in a Fortune 100 company.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 AM

743 posts, read 832,088 times
Let me clear this up for some of you, the personality test had NOTHING to do with the hiring process as I passed it a month before interviews even happened. Although, it was a major waste of time since it didn't accomplish anything and likely turns off some candidates from even applying.

If it takes a company four separate interviews to decide on an entry level, low paying, crap benefits position, then someone or all of them are clearly not competent enough to effectively serve their current role. They're being paid to twiddle their thumbs all day and say "hmmm idk better ask him the same questions over and over again for the fourth time". Along with calling me out of the blue while I was at work and wanting to conduct two of the interviews on the spot!

As a hiring manager, you should know whether you want someone on your team the first or second time speaking with them. They didn't even ask new info, it was like each person asked the same mess because none of them communicated with eachother. None of them were on the same page with details about the job. I had to ask at least 3 times about the gas deal to find out the truth (I'm sure they were trying to dodge it seeing how terrible it is).

One man blatantly lied about how they're this special company that offers entry training and no one else does (everyone else does, at a higher pay too!).

It was just a complete waste of time that dragged on far longer than it should have, and they certainly weren't very courteous, educated about the position, open, and honest during this process. The icing on the cake was the generic rejection email the day after Christmas.

All of this obviously left a very bad taste in my mouth, and looking back I am glad I avoided employment with this company. I just wanted to share my experience.

Some of you have made assumptions about my personality and character because of how I interact with people on an internet forum, and that is obviously quite silly and foolish. Thanks to those who seem to understand how I am feeling.

Last edited by JobSeeker101; 12-31-2014 at 02:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search