Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 04:19 AM

560 posts, read 1,129,632 times

Advertisements

I honestly can only see the benefit of online applicants for jobs that welcome people with very specific skills that may not be present in the area the company is looking. But on the other hand, so many jobs that actually benefited from face to face and actually talking to applicants, seeing their appearance, learning bonus things about them, and actually being able to weed out bad eggs. I mean why would companies give that up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 06:11 AM

771 posts, read 1,458,743 times
Well, the company where I work definitely accepts online applications. We obviously interview them tthough, generally via phone/Skype, but if the candidate is local we'll ask him or her to stop by our office. Generally, if the candidate can interview in person, he/she already has an advantage.

But the online application itself is just the first step.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:57 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
I honestly can only see the benefit of online applicants for jobs that welcome people with very specific skills that may not be present in the area the company is looking. But on the other hand, so many jobs that actually benefited from face to face and actually talking to applicants, seeing their appearance, learning bonus things about them, and actually being able to weed out bad eggs. I mean why would companies give that up?
Seems like you're comparing the initial application submission (which is what the online applications do) with the subsequent steps. They aren't using online applications in place of interviews etc.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Seems like you're comparing the initial application submission (which is what the online applications do) with the subsequent steps. They aren't using online applications in place of interviews etc.
Back in the 70s-80s when people applied by filling out an application at the HR (or "Personnel") Department, the hiring manager would never have seen the applicant or talked to them until the interview, anyway. HR would not be making any kind of decision on who was to be interviewed based on appearance or personality. They would simply accept the application, say "Thank You" and move on.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesky View Post
Well, the company where I work definitely accepts online applications. We obviously interview them tthough, generally via phone/Skype, but if the candidate is local we'll ask him or her to stop by our office. Generally, if the candidate can interview in person, he/she already has an advantage.

But the online application itself is just the first step.
Not really a good idea because you spend a lot of time completing the application and only a 5% chance you will get a call back. So it's better to focus on job postings that gives you the opportunity to email your resume directly like careerbuilder, idealist.org or indeed. Plus those types of applications doesn't take much time and you have a 50% chance of getting a call back

Old 01-01-2015, 05:51 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,665,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Not really a good idea because you spend a lot of time completing the application and only a 5% chance you will get a call back. So it's better to focus on job postings that gives you the opportunity to email your resume directly like careerbuilder, idealist.org or indeed. Plus those types of applications doesn't take much time and you have a 50% chance of getting a call back
It doesn't take much time so tons of people are shotgunning their resume to 10 companies a day, and those adds are getting thousand of applications for each posting so yea for those people aren't reading cover letters.
On company websites that are harder to find postings and that take more time to fill out applications, people are more likely to read them. So I strongly disagree with this advice.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
It doesn't take much time so tons of people are shotgunning their resume to 10 companies a day, and those adds are getting thousand of applications for each posting so yea for those people aren't reading cover letters.
On company websites that are harder to find postings and that take more time to fill out applications, people are more likely to read them. So I strongly disagree with this advice.
If you are qualified for the position it would not matter if other people are applying for the job. And that would be because they are probably shotgunning resumes and not qualified for the job at all which makes a qualified stand out even more.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:16 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post

80% of all statistics are made up 35% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ
If you are qualified for the position it would not matter if other people are applying for the job. And that would be because they are probably shotgunning resumes and not qualified for the job at all which makes a qualified stand out even more.
You are assuming there's only one qualified candidate per job opening?

Old 01-01-2015, 07:36 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
I did actually get a call-back from a long and ponderous Taleo app, and one from Northrup Grummann, too, so people do read them. But to me, I can never express what I want to and feel if a real resume sent in paper or PDF form is a much better indicator of the person applying for the position. My real or PDF version of a resume usually get response because it is very unique. So no, I don't think they are a good idea, but this is what we are stuck with, so I guess we all (oldies ) better get used to the new world.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
From the employer's perspective, it saves time and money to minimize the paper in the application process. It also makes it easier for management to make big-picture decisions about the recruitment and hiring process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search