Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why do people get offered a job only for them to reject it because pay is laughable? It's not like it's easy to get a job, and millions more Americans wish they were in their position. So if anything they should be grateful they were given an opprotunity to work instead of turning it down and complaining that they can't find work. $7 an hour is better than nothing.
Do you honestly have to ask that question. Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 10:47 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Do you honestly have to ask that question. Really?
If they aren't sure why there's probably a reason they're unemployed.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I find that often times some organizations even with a range might not have any idea what the market is really paying. Just because someone worked for that in the past is no indication of the skills/qualifications and pay of the market today.

I know of a position where they are trying again and apparently no one noticed another organization was advertising the same position for 4K-40K more then their top hiring price! This isn't even that far away we're talking maybe 45 minutes of a drive away.

Everyone is in competition with everyone else. I'm not saying it is easy to change industries but when push comes to shove it is what people can do or do extra on the side. Information is your friend. I've seen business deals that went one way simply because of a lack of communication and realizing what the other party had/didn't have.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:13 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Federal minimum wage rates are indeed a law. States can't set a lower minimum wage. There are lower rates for tipped employees and for "youth training", but the states still can't go below the federal rate on that.
Nope..Check out the minimum rates for each state and see that some are indeed below the federal minimum guidelines

Old 01-04-2015, 12:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Nope..Check out the minimum rates for each state and see that some are indeed below the federal minimum guidelines
There are states with no minimum wage our lower than federal minimum wage, companies would still have to heed to the higher standard. In this case, the federal minimum wage. In cases where states or municipalities have the higher minimum wage, it is the one you follow and not the federal.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Many people aren't honest with them selves about the value that they actually bring. They can't pick out their own flaws, and address them. They don't work hard on improving themselves. You need to create value. Period.

No individual can determine what they're worth, and neither can a company.

The market knows best.

How many of you have ever agreed to pay more for something, just because? 99% of you are trying to cut costs and raise your revenue exactly like the business is.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:13 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:

The cost of living keeps going up. Rent keeps going up. Food prices keep
going up. Tolls keep going up. MTA fares keep going up (if you're in New
York).

People just want decent money to pay for those things. Does it
make sense to have a job and then you're homeless?

No.
Question for you. If the costs are going up for individuals, don't you think it's going up for businesses too?

Does it make sense to pay employees more, despite the fact that they aren't creating any more value, and then the business closes its doors or losses out on investment because it's DESTROYING shareholder value?

No.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is part of the problem. You get lowballed. This happens a lot even if you don't have a job because they expect you for peanuts.

The problem with the bold however is because they thing they can get just above entry level so they don't have to train but still pay as if it was. It's annoying that companies do that and I hope it changes soon because nothing is wrong with training and in fact, by training they don't have to unlearn habits from other companies.
Getting lowballed is fine if it's not too far from what you making since it allows you to re-enter the workforce and set goals from there

Old 01-04-2015, 03:05 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
What I find LAUGHABLE is the fact that almost everyone on here is making light of someone asking about wages and because they are either retired or already in a great job, they have to belittle anyone who isn't..

Instead of looking down at these people how about helping them with advise or information.....
Let me tell you something.

When I was in my 20's I had no sense of responsibility. I felt that I was "owed" a job. As a result I wouldn't stay at any job for longer than a year for one reason or another. Back then I was perfectly satisfied focusing on the hourly rate, and I was perfectly fine making $15/hour as a customer service rep, but complaining when I found it harder and harder to get that amount or even get a job. I would apply over and over only to be rejected outright. I could get telemarketing jobs at the snap of a finger but couldn't stand cold calling.

In 2003 I got wise and applied to a position I was grossly underqualified for, managing contracts which I'd never done before. They wanted a bachelor's degree, years of experience, yada yada. They didn't get many hits because the work was boring to others plus their requirements were too darn high. When I interviewed the director we hit it off right away, because I knew how to sell myself. I was analytical, a high performer in the customer service realm, and I knew technology, all of which were key things they were looking for but hadn't advertised. They offered, I accepted. That was the beginning of my change as a worker; I stayed at that company for 5 years.

The difference? It was an internal position.

That's when it struck me. It didn't matter what position I got to get into the company. It didn't matter whether I was qualified for the internal position or not. All that mattered was that I took a risk and learned how to handle interviews and sell my strengths without focusing on my weaknesses. Since that job, I've only ever gone to three other companies, staying at two of them for at least 3 years (this one I just started in December), and it's been the same strategy.

The interview was always the ticket. I haven't been rejected for a job in over 11 years. Once I figured out how to handle the interview it didn't matter what they claimed they wanted. It only mattered that I had the best pitch. That's what people lack: the ability to sell themselves. They get turned down because they're not worth the company's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I'm guessing this was at least partially targeted at what I posted since you mention bench jewelers specifically. Of course, my research on the position was similar to what you posted (I expected an hourly rate closer to $15). I don't understand why a company would even bother to interview someone who listed a salary requirement of $40k when they are only offering $20. That just doesn't make sense and wastes everyone's time.
I can answer this: Due diligence.

A company that doesn't bother interviewing applicants especially if they don't have a lot of applicants is wasting money. They have HR reps whose job is to screen people, if they screen nobody, they might miss the right person.

Some companies will waste a lot of time screening. Some will waste time not screening. You can always tell the difference because if you get all the way to an interview with the people you would work with and then don't get a call, it means HR liked you but the peers had something picky they didn't like.

The key is to not only respond when they ask for the interview but to sell yourself. Frankly, if you feel you're worth $40k, you simply need to sell that fact but in a position like this one where the market doesn't bear out such a salary, you also have to sell the company on the concept of demand. Is there a demand for bench jewelers in your area? If not, it's a harder sell.

Sounds like you found something more lucrative and you realized that what you want to do is better reserved for hobby. That's the right approach. Never give up on what you want to do, but accept that sometimes, what you want to do and what makes you a reasonable salary are almost always going to be mutually exclusive unless it's in the IT field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I feel that anyone who accepts a minimum wage job as a full-time job may not have confidence in their abilities or job searching skills. I say that because why would someone feel the need to settle for minimum wage if they making much more than that in their previous job? Now you may have to take a slight pay cut when losing your job but there is never ever any reason to go that low.
I disagree.

Some employers look negatively on the absence of work experience. It's identified to some as being ineligible for hiring for some reason. Likewise, other employers look negatively on "job hopping" - too many different jobs and not enough longevity at each. In other words it's better to take a $8/hour job for 3 years and then apply at some other place than to skip the lesser job altogether and collect unemployment - unless you're in college.

Either way, you have to explain to the recruiter why you did or didn't take the lesser job. If you took one, you explain that you accepted temporary work while you searched for more appropriate work, but while working at the lesser position, you continued studying and improving your skillsets (which is exactly what you should be doing). That will impress 8 out of 10 recruiters. The other 2 aren't worth your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
To me an employer's salary offer is the indication of your worth to that employer. Being low balled means that employer doesn't value your time or job skills, and it can be a signal that the employer who doesn't value their employees by offering them crap pay, treat those employees like crap as well.
You've got things backwards.

The bold part is inaccurate. A salary offer in today's world has NOTHING to do with your worth to the employer and everything to do with the least amount of money they're willing to pay based on the specific position's value to them. It's almost always negotiable, and it is this negotiation that either will or won't bear fruit based on your perceived worth to them. But the initial offer is always going to be the lowest amount they will pay for that position, period. If you don't believe that, Google it. It has nothing to do with you personally, it's what the company tries to do to save money where they can.

The second part is accurate, because if you see that a position's market value is significantly higher, even on the low end, than what is being offered, then you're likely going to encounter disgruntled employees. But that's based on the region. A .NET developer will make substantially more in California or Washington than they would in Louisiana or Arkansas simply because of companies in the region and what competition there is. You can't complain about not getting $150k in Hangem, Montana when the market in that region doesn't bear that salary out. If you move to Seattle, you'll probably make that easy.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:34 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
So if anything they should be grateful they were given an opprotunity to work instead of turning it down and complaining that they can't find work. $7 an hour is better than nothing.
The federal minimum wage of $7.25, so you asking people to work for less than minimum wage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search