Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 01:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

I feel that anyone who accepts a minimum wage job as a full-time job may not have confidence in their abilities or job searching skills. I say that because why would someone feel the need to settle for minimum wage if they making much more than that in their previous job? Now you may have to take a slight pay cut when losing your job but there is never ever any reason to go that low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 02:11 PM

305 posts, read 723,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I feel that anyone who accepts a minimum wage job as a full-time job may not have confidence in their abilities or job searching skills. I say that because why would someone feel the need to settle for minimum wage if they making much more than that in their previous job? Now you may have to take a slight pay cut when losing your job but there is never ever any reason to go that low.
Because the job selection is low and some of us don't have a choice but to take whatever job offered to us. A little wage is better than sitting around being picky with our search while wondering how you're going to feed yourself and your kids.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:22 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,494,397 times
When I was just about homeless and not having any luck with a job I'd've taken anything - $7.25 an hour at McD's is absolutely better than $0.00 living in my car. I could at least rent a room in someone else's apartment or house for $400 a month all utilities included. It's absolutely workable. Luckily I found a job makiing $11.25 an hour, which is more than I've ever made in my life, and I am beyond grateful for it. I'm still just renting a room so I can save money. It's working, and I'm totally happy. Obviously I'd like to make more, which is indeed what I'm working toward. Once I complete my 2 yr degree this summer I will be qualified for a better position in the same company, which starts off at $21 an hour. I am really hoping I will be able to make that happen by thwe time October rolls around. I'd be totally satisfied with $21 an hour for awhile.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Not true.. Each state sets their minimum wage rates..Some states $7 is ABOVE their minimum wage..

Federal minimum wage rates are a guideline not a law
No... the federal minimum wage is a law.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
Because the job selection is low and some of us don't have a choice but to take whatever job offered to us. A little wage is better than sitting around being picky with our search while wondering how you're going to feed yourself and your kids.
By focusing on a job that is paying atleast $8.00 or more and telling myself that minimum wage jobs are not the only job openings in my area.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:42 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
By focusing on a job that is paying atleast $8.00 or more and telling myself that minimum wage jobs are not the only job openings in my area.
Anyway, I'd lose the house on $8/hour as surely as I'd lose it on $0/hour.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:59 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
There's a lot of reasons, but it depends on the individual too. For someone with a college degree and solid work experience, taking a $10 an hour "professional" job is downright insulting and creates a vicious cycle of the skills needed to perform that job being terribly undervalued. Imagine for examples if lawyers started accepting less, and less, and less from clients because THEY NEEDED THE CLIENTS (compared to "needing a job"). Over time, the value of lawyers falls and falls and falls, till next thing you know lawyers are making $12 an hour after going to college for 6 years and taking the BAR. If lawyers are making $12 an hour, what the hell will fast food workers be making? Pennies?

That's an extreme example though. All and all, it's hard to have one position that pays you $40 an hour, to get laid off, and have similar positions only offering $15-20 for the same level position. It happens a lot. Now, on the flip side, if you don't have much work experience, are jobless, no degree, these lowball pay positions are better than nothing.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:06 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Anyway, I'd lose the house on $8/hour as surely as I'd lose it on $0/hour.

And I would get evicted on $8.00 LOL

Old 01-03-2015, 04:34 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Theres a reason why you don't lose your unemployment compensation if you end up getting a offered a job that paid less than your last job

Old 01-03-2015, 04:45 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Theres a reason why you don't lose your unemployment compensation if you end up getting a offered a job that paid less than your last job

Yes the purpose of UC is to get a job paying

1. Slightly below what you were making before

2. The same

3. Or More
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search