Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 PM

908 posts, read 961,339 times

Advertisements

well, what do you know, i just got a call from job B and will have a second interview. i did let them know i had another offer so perhaps that's why they expedited it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:54 PM

256 posts, read 462,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
well, what do you know, i just got a call from job B and will have a second interview. i did let them know i had another offer so perhaps that's why they expedited it.
That is the best way! Let the company B know that you got an offer. This will give you more power to negotiate.

It is very unprofessional and I think unethical but you can accept company A offer and still keep interviewing with company B. If company B makes a better offer, you can accept it and tell company A, you will not be able to start with them. Yes, you will never have a chance to work for them again but it will be your call. I seen several people done it.

Good luck

Old 01-05-2015, 05:29 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post
That is the best way! Let the company B know that you got an offer. This will give you more power to negotiate.

It is very unprofessional and I think unethical but you can accept company A offer and still keep interviewing with company B. If company B makes a better offer, you can accept it and tell company A, you will not be able to start with them. Yes, you will never have a chance to work for them again but it will be your call. I seen several people done it.

Good luck

OP...Company A wishes to have an answer. SO, you do the phone interview with Company B tomorrow, and unless it completely blows you away, the salary is twice what you are making, the benefits include half the people in your town, and you get 364 days of vacation each year, you quickly get on the horn to Company A and say thank you for addressing my concerns (salary and benefits, or whatever it was) ; I am pleased to accept your offer of employment.

IF it goes through, and you make it sound like it will, once you have everything signed off with Company A and have met all of their pre-employment criteria, you thank company B for their interest and tell them that you have accepted another position but hope that should things change down the road you could reopen the dialogue with them--they sound like a wonderful group and you have heard great things, blah, blah, blah.

Congrats! Enjoy your new job.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:33 PM

908 posts, read 961,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post

Good luck
I don't consider this as very unprofessional or unethical. You gotta do what you gotta do and sometimes timing is not perfect. Perhaps you are the martyr-ish type who would stick with the first job but most people will realize in the end, company A won't care that much and you will be doing what's best for your professional career.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:18 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Currently employed by company C.

I have a job offer on the table (company A) and a phone interview tomorrow (company B). The job offer with company A is what I had hoped for - salary, great location, smaller company. The phone interview with company B is a larger firm with name recognition.

The catch, company A expressed they would like to know ASAP if I am accepting the position, as it is approaching peak season next week for work volume. I asked for a higher salary and relocation assistance and received both requests.

What order do I handle this? I really want to just sign the offer letter, but I feel like I should still give Company B a look since it originally was my first choice. Company A just came out of no where and impressed me during my interview and visit.

Any advice is much appreciated with regards to the order I should handle this situation. Gut says sign the letter, but you know how these situations can "feel"..
Don't confuse cis_love with the OP.

One think left out of the equation is the comparison of the companies. I assume the OP has done that, first preferring company B but now preferring company A. If you've done your homework, OP, I say take what you've got. It's the preferred job, right? Bird in the hand and all that..

Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Definitely can help with negotiations! As everyone said OP company A! Congrats!

Cis_love best of luck to you as well!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:29 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Yeah, go for the sure thing. I was reluctant to take an offer that required me to move at my own expense, but the other companies ended up not getting back to me on an offer and interview.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:52 PM

405 posts, read 573,344 times
I'm in the same situation sort of. I have an offer, but it's not what I really want as I will need to commute, travel and not the salary I requested. I have a Skype interview with company B, second round phone interview with company C this week and had a phone screen with company D (the company I really want to work for) today. Unfortunately I don't have time to wait for either company as it could be weeks or months and I may not even get them so I'm accepting the job offer and hoping that one of the companies will get back to me before the start date. I'm going to do what's best for me and you should do the same. Accept the offer and have the phone interview.

Last edited by sonyab523; 01-05-2015 at 10:16 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 11:05 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
be truthful.

to company B, tell them that you have an offer in hand and you need a decision from B within a week. if they say that they can't work that quickly, tell them to take a hike. if they say that they will expedite, do it. assuming they will do this...

tell company A that you need another week. they will probably ask why so tell them. they will probably say "is there anything we can do to make you cancel the other interview?" and tell them no. but be nice about it. tell company A that you really do want to work there but you have been interviewing at company B and want to just see it through and will expedite it. you are excited about company A. you want to work there but you feel that you owe it to yourself to see company B through. that's all.

don't do what one of my friends did...he accepted A, worked at A, and a week after he started, he got an offer from B and accepted B and gave notice to A. bridge burned with A. small industry. not good.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:57 PM

191 posts, read 485,842 times
Quote:
I don't consider this as very unprofessional or unethical. You gotta do what you gotta do and sometimes timing is not perfect. Perhaps you are the martyr-ish type who would stick with the first job but most people will realize in the end, company A won't care that much and you will be doing what's best for your professional career.
How is this not unprofessional? Companies can rescind job offers but that usually does not happen once the candidate has accepted the offer. And if a company offered a candidate a job, and s/he accepts, but then later started interviewing another candidate because they would be a "better fit" and rescinds the first offer, wouldn't that be unprofessional?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search