Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:16 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I have seen this field on LinkedIn and often see it populated with light-hearted things or organizations that would generate little controversy, like St. Jude's Hospital or the local humane society. You can also put other things in there. I put the Indiana Republican Party on mine. Have you ever filled this field with something partisan or that would generate interest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I have seen this field on LinkedIn and often see it populated with light-hearted things or organizations that would generate little controversy, like St. Jude's Hospital or the local humane society. You can also put other things in there. I put the Indiana Republican Party on mine. Have you ever filled this field with something partisan or that would generate interest?
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllll NO.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:35 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
+1

Couldn't have said it better, or with any more e's and l's. Maybe a few more o's though.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
That's one that can possibly help you at some point but that could also be the kiss of death. Also the reason I don't talk politics at work, if you want to not only keep your job but continue moving up in the organization. I would even consider the humane society to be too controversial for Linked in if you are serious about using it as a networking tool to improve your career. Want to be CEO at the big corporate beef producer? Umm, no, must be an animal lover.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:03 PM

50,785 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I would never have that. It's not relevant and may hurt you. The only reason IMO to mention that is if you hold an officers position and use skills that would help you on the job.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I know someone who worked in the political arena and even he wishes he didn't have to put it on Linkedin, let alone willingly giving out that information.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM

285 posts, read 534,429 times
I volunteered and worked with a political party during the last presidential election. I did note this on LinkedIn, and it actually helped me get my current job, lol. I live in an extremely conservative county though, so this information is more likely to help than hinder you in my area. If I lived anywhere else, I would not have put that information on there. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to work for an employer that discriminated based on my political affiliation, or strongly opposed my beliefs (personal preference). If someone doesn't want to hire me, I probably don't want to work for them anyway. I'm very picky and try to vet out jobs/employers with a similar mindset, but I realize many don't have the luxury of doing that. It's your call and I would say it depends on where you live and the kind of jobs/organizations you are applying to. Generally it's probably better to leave it off, though.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:43 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
How would that be advantageous? If I were politically neutral my thoughts would be that you might disrupt the workplace with political dogma. I would also think you an idiot for being a "true believer" in one of the political crime families. No way in hell I would hire someone that put a political party as a "cause you care about".

Old 01-10-2015, 05:05 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
No, politics & religion do not enter my professional life, at all.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:30 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No kidding.

Would have been better to ask, "would I kiss a spitting cobra, for a hundred dollar dare."

None of that has any place in a professional workplace, in my view, unless it is a specific tenant of the business or organization. Much like churchie malarkey they say still comes up in the South (I wouldn't know): involuntary termination, lawsuit, or similar waiting to happen.

Most of major tech in Seattle either kotows or provides money and resources to at least several political shakedown organizations I find personally despicable. They didn't ask my opinion. Nor will I provide it, ever.

Like most of social media: what you say can, and will, be held against you in a court of (public and private opinion, law, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search