Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2015, 08:08 PM

92 posts, read 229,920 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated with a MS degree and am working as an intern (it has been extended twice) in a very small (4 person + me) office. Recently, one of the other employees left to take a different position and the new position has been revamped into something that my education & experience are a great fit for, and that my boss has encouraged me to apply for.

Here's the question: how do I go about writing the cover letter to accompany the resume? I feel like I should be approaching the application like it was any other open position, rather than slacking and assuming that since I've worked there the boss already knows my accomplishments and therefore I don't have to mention them. But, at the same time, the boss does know what I have done, so do I need to mention it all like I would for any other letter?

Any advice on how to approach this is greatly appreciated - there is going to be some stiff competition for this job, so I'll need all the advantages I can get - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 08:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
You apply professionally like it is any other position. Assume nothing. Slack on nothing. State your case why you are the candidate of choice.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:28 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You apply professionally like it is any other position. Assume nothing. Slack on nothing. State your case why you are the candidate of choice.
While I agree with this, you have the luxury of knowing the people. Cover letters are for introducing yourself. You've already done that. Personally, in your situation, when I was ready to submit my resume, I would schedule a 15 minute meeting with the boss. In that meeting I would basically speak to what you would write in the cover letter. Points to cover would include:

1) Appreciation for the internship and extensions and the opportunity to apply
2) Highlight of your background that your boss may have perhaps forgotten
3) Specific reason why you are interested in this position and why you would be the best candidate
4) A specific accomplishment you achieved while in the internship that he has knowledge about

Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
In most cases cover letters and resumes are initially screened by HR, who may not be very familiar with you at all. Apply convincingly, like no one knows you. Whether you are well regarded as an intern or not, you are still going to compete with others, either from the outside, or possibly an internal candidate trying to move up.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:44 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Good advice.

Nobody keeps better track of your accomplishments than you.
Nobody is a bigger champion of you than you.
Nobody can highlight the important things you've done and why they are important better than you.

Don't make your boss work to justify you.

I've been at this work career thing for some time now. Every year employees undergo a review with their supervisor. Part of the process is rating yourself and indicating your accomplishments. I don't leave that section blank. I don't expect my boss to just know what they are even though she is my boss. I highlight the mofo out of them, make them appear larger than life, thump my chest with my words.

So yeah, don't expect your boss to recall everything you did or the most important and good things you did. Hand it to him/her and approach it in a serious, humble, and confident way. Assume nothing.

Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search