Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:11 PM

84 posts, read 119,949 times

Advertisements

I understand your frustration very well as I had very similar stages in my life.
Now, I am a green card holder through employment and things are much easier as you may predict.
Also, I currently hire people so I know how the things are going on the other side of the process.

A couple things you need to understand:
First, you will not be preferred over citizens or permanent residents for any job.
That is for sure. So, for any job that will have tens or hundreds of applications, your chances for even getting an interview is very slim.
That means any job that is "less specialized" is definitely not worth spending your energy and time.
I would suggest trying to look for job descriptions that is at least 90% match with your qualifications. Being very aggressive with applications (applying anywhere that sounds like a partial match) will not get you anything but more frustration.

In my experience, I was just like that for the first year or so. It made me very depressed and hopeless. Then I found a temporary solution just to extend my visa and slowed down my job-hunt for a while. Interestingly enough, the company which hired me found me online through my skills, because I had almost a perfect match with the qualifications. I haven't even applied the job!
I am not saying not to apply anywhere but just wait, but use your energy economically. Focus more on customizing your resume/cover letter for the jobs that look more specialized and appropriate to your skills. Try to reach inside those companies with any networking possibility. It is really how people get hired really, especially in the O&G. Can you use networking opportunities in the Indian community for example? Don't seem very desperate and frustrated but try to talk to as many people as possible. You will never know where the opportunity will come from. Most positions are not even posted online for public but filled out through referrals.

I know these may sound like useless but it is the way it works. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 13,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
I'm sorry, does my family and I paying into to tax system, which pays into the education system which EXPECTS foreign students to pay more because they didn't pay into it bother you?

Aren't these the jobs that expect slave labor that works 80-90 hours per week? Have fun selling your sole.

I'm glad your acknowledge your slave labor. But, why should I compete with slave labor?

Good luck with that. Because, we all know companies don't lie or screw over their employees. NOT.
I guess I'll have to agree with that

actually no they aren't. the only downside is that for me it'll be a completely different field. software coding after 7 years in chem engg. i've been shaping up a big chunk of my life to be a process engg. I actually like that stuff and am passionate about it. i believe i can be good at it, so i haven't replied to any of those emails. also your career stagnates i'll be 45 and still making something close to what i started off making.

Well we were talking about the sense of entitlement. which you seem to have more than me.
and whats with all these ad hominen remarks?

it has nothing to do with how you deserve $70,000 etc etc and how i am a slave. i was trying to say that, for now i m going to focus on building a skill set and not on how much i get paid.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magni View Post
I understand your frustration very well as I had very similar stages in my life.
Now, I am a green card holder through employment and things are much easier as you may predict.
Also, I currently hire people so I know how the things are going on the other side of the process.

A couple things you need to understand:
First, you will not be preferred over citizens or permanent residents for any job.
That is for sure. So, for any job that will have tens or hundreds of applications, your chances for even getting an interview is very slim.
That means any job that is "less specialized" is definitely not worth spending your energy and time.
I would suggest trying to look for job descriptions that is at least 90% match with your qualifications. Being very aggressive with applications (applying anywhere that sounds like a partial match) will not get you anything but more frustration.

In my experience, I was just like that for the first year or so. It made me very depressed and hopeless. Then I found a temporary solution just to extend my visa and slowed down my job-hunt for a while. Interestingly enough, the company which hired me found me online through my skills, because I had almost a perfect match with the qualifications. I haven't even applied the job!
I am not saying not to apply anywhere but just wait, but use your energy economically. Focus more on customizing your resume/cover letter for the jobs that look more specialized and appropriate to your skills. Try to reach inside those companies with any networking possibility. It is really how people get hired really, especially in the O&G. Can you use networking opportunities in the Indian community for example? Don't seem very desperate and frustrated but try to talk to as many people as possible. You will never know where the opportunity will come from. Most positions are not even posted online for public but filled out through referrals.

I know these may sound like useless but it is the way it works. Good luck!
Dude what you've given me is absolutely not useless. i got to say this is the first ever forum I've ever written in/been a part of (I haven't even tried figuring out how to reply to someone quote by quote). I'll keep that in mind to select job profiles that come closest to my qualifications. will probably attend one of those O&G professional's meet-up group one of these coming weeks.

Thanks for taking the time.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Not fair, eh? I mean what is happening to those who obey the law and follow the rules, vs those who break the rules and do things illegally. Such a paradox.

Anyway, I've been to Doha and Muscat... hot as hell there. I can see why you'd want to stick around a bit more in the US. You might check into one of the service companies like Halliburton, who often hire people abroad, and bring them into the US for a few years. I've known many who have hit the ground running in the US in regards to obtaining a permanent visa, and did it and stayed. Good luck (again).
haha, well you know what i m talking abt...thanks!

Old 01-08-2015, 06:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,260,188 times
Become a US citizen. I hear it's getting easier these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search