Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:37 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,307 times

Advertisements

My school gave me a certified "Letter of Degree Completion" because I "graduated" a semester before the actual graduation date/ceremony (they only did one per year for the MBA program). The letter stated I had completed all requirements for the degree, that I had no additional requirements to complete, and would Graduate with the degree during the May Graduation ceremony.

I would talk to the someone in the school's administrative offices and see if they can generate something like that for your prospective employer.

Submit the letter, and your complete transcripts, and if that doesn't suffice, then I would think they are rescinding the offer for some other reason they don't want to disclose.

Last edited by Tuck's Dad; 01-12-2015 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,176 times
If an employee told me they "forgot to apply for graduation" and never really followed through, after completing all the degree work, I would be pretty skeptical about them as an employee. That's the EASIEST part of graduation! Something seems odd..

Old 01-12-2015, 02:21 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,272,272 times
I agree.. Now dispell my concerns quickly or leave..Face Value ? You look like you lied.. That sucks so fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It seems that you "fudged" your credentials and in the eyes of a prospective employer, that is usually the "kiss of death".

Old 01-12-2015, 02:37 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
If an employee told me they "forgot to apply for graduation" and never really followed through, after completing all the degree work, I would be pretty skeptical about them as an employee. That's the EASIEST part of graduation! Something seems odd..
Ditto. Short of the sudden and unexpected death of a loved one, or your own illness that required hospitalization, NOTHING will make a student to forget to apply for graduation after all that hard work put into studies. I hope you are legit and follow the advice given in this thread so that the job offer is not rescinded.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
It seems that you "fudged" your credentials and in the eyes of a prospective employer, that is usually the "kiss of death".
This. Sorry, but unless it would be heinously expensive or detrimental to my business to resume my hiring process, I'd rescind the offer immediately.

There are plenty of other people out there who are A.) honest about their credentials and B.) sharp enough to know whether they actually graduated from college or not.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:01 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
Sometimes we learn very good lessons when we mess up. You just got more education. Welcome to the real world. Hope you find something you like next time you try.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
When a background check is done for education, they usually verify the number of credits you completed, with the school. Often they also check how many credits are required to complete the degree.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-12-2015 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 04:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,075 times
What's stopping you from applying for graduation now?

Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,100,265 times
I have never questioned the integrity of a poster here before, but this is the craziest thing I've ever heard. OP, you say you applied to law school and grad school and got accepted to both, but never graduated college/university??? Yeah, right!! The law school and the grad school never checked to see if you graduated?? I find all that very hard to believe. Acceptance to law school and grad school is conditional on graduation.

If this is a real post and you are not lying, what you need to do is show your prospective employer your college transcript, your acceptance to grad school, and your enrollment in grad school. That will prove that you have met the graduation requirement, and tell them that the diploma is just held up by you not applying for it. Get that diploma as soon as possible.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,118 times
There is no way I would ever buy a story that you completed your degree but simply forgot that you didn't apply for graduation. This is something you know you did or you didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search