Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 10:39 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I have never questioned the integrity of a poster here before, but this is the craziest thing I've ever heard. OP, you say you applied to law school and grad school and got accepted to both, but never graduated college/university??? Yeah, right!! The law school and the grad school never checked to see if you graduated?? I find all that very hard to believe. Acceptance to law school and grad school is conditional on graduation.

If this is a real post and you are not lying, what you need to do is show your prospective employer your college transcript, your acceptance to grad school, and your enrollment in grad school. That will prove that you have met the graduation requirement, and tell them that the diploma is just held up by you not applying for it. Get that diploma as soon as possible.

Good luck, you'll need it.
I disagree. When I applied to law school (based on rolling admissions and showing my school's effort to lock me down, I was accepted only a week after applying), I was only required to send my transcripts, which at the time didn't indicate I had graduated as I was still in school. Now that I think of it, my law school never requested verification of my having graduated before I registered for law school classes, though they could've asked the school (in such a scenario, I'd imagine that a "he completed all requirements for graduation" would've sufficed).

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 01-13-2015 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 12:33 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
OP, do you owe outstanding tuition, fees, or a graduation fee to the University you didn't want to pay, and figured since you completed the courses, the formality of graduating doesn't matter?

After thinking about your story, I suspect there is an unpaid bill or fee tied to the lack of a degree/diploma. If that's the case, pay the bill and be done with it!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:59 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
One thing I made sure of in my undergraduate and graduate degrees was to make sure all the paperwork was on time and everything was paid. Why? Because bureaucracy can take awhile. For example I transferred a class from another institution. Well the clerk put it in as exactly the same one I already took. Similar subject but not the same content (this was deeper) and a totally different professor. Well the transfer grade actually lowered my gpa because they don't factor that into institution GPA! Needless to say I was pretty ticked off and kept some email records and it was resolved in a week to week and a half. Sometimes classrooms have limits for how many students and sometimes classes have to be in a certain order.

I wouldn't say you are dead to the employer but to go to school for such an amount of time and money and not do that is kinda a leap. I'd argue there's only so long an employer can hold a job if any.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott01 View Post
A relative of mine finished high school and went immediately into the military. He did not go to the graduation ceremony and received his high school diploma. However, when he applied to a nursing program at age 50 he found the school had never recorded his graduation and so they told the nursing school he had not graduated. He spent time on the phone getting it cleared up and they sent a follow up letter to the school for him.

He never in all that time had any idea he had not officially graduated because he held the diploma in his possession.

Good luck getting this settled.
You never get your diploma at the actual graduation ceremony. You get a stunt diploma so your relative wasn't telling the truth.

There usually isn't time between the end of classes and the ceremony to know for sure who is actually graduating and those diplomas aren't cheap to print.

Something is fishy about the OPs story.

The registrar's office AND my counselor AND the department secretary stayed on my ass to make sure everyone had dotted their eyes and crossed their tees.

As a hiring manager, I would have a problem with an employee who was too lazy/busy to follow up with the degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search