Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 AM

13 posts, read 12,028 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a question on the drug test screening before getting hire. I am currently on medication which "may" cause a false positive on my test for marijuana. My question is that should I inform the lab about the medication that I am taking or HR? Would it be wise to not to inform anyone and wait till results as it "MAY" and not 100% it will flag positive. I do not take any drugs nor any other medications but this.

The drug test will most likely be tomorrow as I am receiving the offer letter today.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
My opinion would be that you should disclose this. I am working on the assumption that the medication you are taking has been prescribed to you and the possibility of false positives has been documented.

If you are taking some sort of supplement on your own, it seems to me that might raise red flags in and of itself.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
My opinion would be that you should disclose this. I am working on the assumption that the medication you are taking has been prescribed to you and the possibility of false positives has been documented.

If you are taking some sort of supplement on your own, it seems to me that might raise red flags in and of itself.
Yes, this has been prescribe by my physician and should I disclose this to the new HR or the LAB prior submitting my sample?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway123 View Post
Yes, this has been prescribe by my physician and should I disclose this to the new HR or the LAB prior submitting my sample?

Thanks.
My guess, and it is only a guess, is to disclose to the lab. HR doesn't want to know about medications. I am not a lab or HR guy though, just a HM.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
My guess, and it is only a guess, is to disclose to the lab. HR doesn't want to know about medications. I am not a lab or HR guy though, just a HM.
Thank you for your info and anything is appreciated as I do not want to mess this up for myself.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:15 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
I have taken many pre-employment drug tests over the past few years because I do contract work and usually each client wants a new test.

Anyway, due to HIPAA regs, you no longer are allowed to give the nurse/person a list of Rx's you are taking at the time the test is administered(when you go there to give your specimen).

IF something comes up in your result that's questionable, you will be contacted by the lab that is doing the actual testing. They would then ask for Rx if that applies or possibly have you take another test in other cases.

I never got contacted by them so I can't explain what happens in those cases.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:46 PM

Update.
Well I have not received a called from [Medical Review Officer] them which is the individual that will contact me if anything appears. I submit my sample on Thursday morning and today is Tuesday ~3PM EST and I haven't gotten a call which leads me to believe no news is good news.

Thanks all.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:49 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,287 times
FYI, I deal with this all the time as I work near our safety office. I would always inform the people ordering the test and giving the test what medication you are taking in case it make come up as positive. Much better to be honest up front than to have to scramble and answer questions later.

I also take a medication for it, and one time it showed up, and they just looked at my script and called it good. They should have mailed it off for further testing, but took my word for it.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:59 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway123 View Post

Thanks.
Both. I was on a medical study a few years ago during which I was taking two drugs well known to be used by drug addicts. The medical group doing the study gave me a business card to carry in my wallet at all times to show anyone who would question why I had the pills or the results of drug testing. It had all the pertinent information about the medical study as well as contact information for the company doing the clinical trial.

You can also obtain a note on letterhead from your physician that details the possible outcomes of drug testing on those who take your prescription in question.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:23 PM

12 posts, read 31,804 times
I would always notify them up front, but like you said it will be the MRO who contacts you if they find anything. All they will do is ask that you provide prescriptions or the doctors info that prescribed them to you. As long as you can do that you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search