Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 11:15 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Popularity has replaced competency in today's workplace.
So that explains why, when I say Im here to show up on time and do my job rather than laugh and carry on with the other employees, the interviewer tells me basically that im not the kind of employee theyre looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I steer clear of any of those 4 except for FB which is for games only; I dont see how playing them is going to get me an interview.

As for the "networking face to face" isnt that just what we used to call "word of mouth" or "talk around town"?

My hairdresser will only talk about me going to beauty school, i have no friends, my family lives in different cities/states, the neighbors i actually do talk to are retired, and the local cashiers cant get me hired much less get me an interview.

Facebook has Job Groups

Linkedin has advertisements of open positions in the newsfeed not advertised to the public

Also I sense you don't have a positive attitude and that's the first step to finding a job. If you don't approach each day with a positive attitude you may not stand a chance of succeeding. How do you know who the cashier knows? A cashier at my local pharmacy developed friendships with customers over time and ended up getting them hired.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Facebook has Job Groups

Linkedin has advertisements of open positions in the newsfeed not advertised to the public

Also I sense you don't have a positive attitude and that's the first step to finding a job. If you don't approach each day with a positive attitude you may not stand a chance of succeeding. How do you know who the cashier knows? A cashier at my local pharmacy developed friendships with customers over time and ended up getting them hired.
LOL cashiers here dont get a chance to talk to anyone before the person next in line yells "Hurry the hell up!"

Linkedin is for doctors and other suit types, far as im concerned. Even if it would help get a fast food job id still have to fight, claw, step, and stomp on others to get the job. If i have to do all that to beat someone out of a job they must need it more than me and they can have it.

I do approach day positively; i say "im not going to kill myself today and im going to go to sleep tonight in my own bed with 4 walls and a roof over my head". I have succeeded in life, too....just not monetarily. Money doesnt mean everything to all of us.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:30 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-Double check your resume before submitting it!
-Make sure your resume is not too simple; the more details - the better (relevant to the job you apply to)!
-Make sure your skills are listed and relevant to the job position!
-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
-No, we don't care if you learn new tasks quickly or love to learn - not an entry level position!
-No, I don't want to spend my time looking at your 5 page resume when you yourself aren't even sure if you qualify for the job position
-Don't be rude when you get a declined letter - sometimes we may have something else in the future based on your experience for you. You get angry or ignore, guess what... no job for you in the future and you will start from the beginning with the annoying interview process.
-Don't forget a 'thank you letter'... takes a minute to write few sentences. May be easier to remember you as well.
-If it shows you need a type of skill(s) and you have little/no experience, don't ask if it's "ok" or make up any other excuses.
-Be more formal when you write and talk... we're not in middle school or your friends/family member.
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
-Don't talk too much (we did not submit them for an interview solely for this reason unfortunately)
-What else can I think of now?
and also:
- Dress appropriately. The stuff you wear to the beach isn't appropriate for a job interview.
- Wear long sleeves if you have tattoos- and take the piercings out of your face.
- If your hair is pink, blue, purple, or striped, you might want to change it before going to job interviews.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 PM

736 posts, read 353,500 times
I been trying to get a job for the last four months as a chemical engineer. Initially, I was asking too much, but now I know the price range of an entry chemical engineer. I asked classmates and talked to an agency. I only have one interview and two phone calls as chemical engineer, but that was after I changed my asking salary. Recently, I started looking for both chemical and software engineering positions. I have one certificate in programming and know various programming languages. I only need to learn SQL and a simple script language like Perl or Javascript and I will be able to apply to the majority of entry level software engineering jobs. Ironically, I managed to gain a lot of experience in programming as a chemical engineer working on chemical engineering programming applications and research that involved a lot of programming. The only problem I found is with chemical engineering usually requires specialized cover letters when I am applying compared to a software engineer. I'm currently, learning Perl and SQL. They are rather simple languages compare to high level languages or assembly language. From what I seen, there appears to be more demand for software engineers than chemical engineers.

I'm start networking soon to help my job searching. That was some thing I didn't do while in school. It's probably best to start out in places you know like church and various other places I'm familiar. Any one have suggestions for networking? I read that most jobs are acquired by networking. I guess it's just another skill to acquire. Otherwise, I will continue to fill out applications and hope for the best.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:44 PM

9 posts, read 23,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post

Please before applying for any job...

-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
If someone is not a LinkedIn user, would you automatically exclude him even if he's a qualified candidate according to his resume?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
I been trying to get a job for the last four months as a chemical engineer. Initially, I was asking too much, but now I know the price range of an entry chemical engineer. I asked classmates and talked to an agency. I only have one interview and two phone calls as chemical engineer, but that was after I changed my asking salary. Recently, I started looking for both chemical and software engineering positions. I have one certificate in programming and know various programming languages. I only need to learn SQL and a simple script language like Perl or Javascript and I will be able to apply to the majority of entry level software engineering jobs. Ironically, I managed to gain a lot of experience in programming as a chemical engineer working on chemical engineering programming applications and research that involved a lot of programming. The only problem I found is with chemical engineering usually requires specialized cover letters when I am applying compared to a software engineer. I'm currently, learning Perl and SQL. They are rather simple languages compare to high level languages or assembly language. From what I seen, there appears to be more demand for software engineers than chemical engineers.

I'm start networking soon to help my job searching. That was some thing I didn't do while in school. It's probably best to start out in places you know like church and various other places I'm familiar. Any one have suggestions for networking? I read that most jobs are acquired by networking. I guess it's just another skill to acquire. Otherwise, I will continue to fill out applications and hope for the best.
You may have to take on a new challenge because that 4 months can quickly turn into 12 months. I wanted to stay in my field too but realized that eating and paying bills was more important and had to take on a different type of job.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
and also:
- Dress appropriately. The stuff you wear to the beach isn't appropriate for a job interview.
- Wear long sleeves if you have tattoos- and take the piercings out of your face.
- If your hair is pink, blue, purple, or striped, you might want to change it before going to job interviews.
What if youre applying for a job at the beach?
What if youre applying for a job as a tattoo artist?
What if youre applying for a job as a hairstylist/beautician?

Reminds me of all the jobs I wasnt hired for because I wore "good" clothes to the interview instead of "ready to go to work right now" clothes. Of course, that was back in the good old days when hiring meant hiring now, not after an exhaustive search for the perfect employee.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
What if youre applying for a job at the beach?
What if youre applying for a job as a tattoo artist?
What if youre applying for a job as a hairstylist/beautician?

Reminds me of all the jobs I wasnt hired for because I wore "good" clothes to the interview instead of "ready to go to work right now" clothes. Of course, that was back in the good old days when hiring meant hiring now, not after an exhaustive search for the perfect employee.
That was kind of an afterthought after I posted last night- and you're right, it's suitable to match the clothes/etc. to the job you're applying for.
But when I posted, I was thinking of people who go all-out odd with their clothes and personal appearance, and then complain they didn't get hired in stores, business offices, etc.

I also agree with you re: the change in hiring practices.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:56 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawafan View Post
If someone is not a LinkedIn user, would you automatically exclude him even if he's a qualified candidate according to his resume?
LinkedIn is just a way for a prospective employer to see what you look like and what kind of connections (i.e. popularity) you have. They'll know for sure whether you're white or black, skinny or fat, and even attractive or a bit on the duller side. The main point is that the company wants to see how you fit in with their current culture even before they decide to interview you, appearance is key.

I personally don't use LinkedIn after trying it for a while. I use Facebook but employers don't know how to search for me on there, and since they can't find me they assume I don't have one. So since employers have no way of forming a preconceived bias about me, whether it be good or bad, I've made sure to include a professional picture of myself in my Gmail account. That way when I submit applications and employers e-mail me for interview appointments, they already have some sort of image about me in their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search