Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:13 PM

405 posts, read 573,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
As a hiring manager, thank you letters don't sway me in the least. I interviewed three people last week. The worst candidate was the only one to send a thank-you note and she was still the worst candidate after sending it.

I'm not even sure I would use a thank-you note as a tie breaker to make a hiring decision.
This. I had the worse candidate send a thank you note and the best not send one. Thank you notes do nothing for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 06:01 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
What if you had to spread out your interviews with 1 person interviewing this week and a few others the next 2-3 weeks? If you interviewed someone early in the process, with perhaps 4 other pending interviews, do you still tend to make a decision on that same day? I often hear interviewers say that they still had to interview other people, which makes it seem like they are undecided, but what do I know.
In interviewer language, this means you are a border line applicant, and are being considered, but you have to convince me you are the right one for the job. If you were the perfect candidate, and the interviewer really wants you, you are treated different. You are not being rejected, but you are definitely not a prime candidate and only after some others are inteviewed are you going to be considered if no one else is better.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
In addition to poor spelling on a resume, how about when they don't change the cover letter? I've actually received some that say they were excited to see a job listing for (some job title that doesn't exist here), and then tell me why they want to work at (some other company).

If they cannot get the basics right....

Old 01-12-2015, 06:13 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In addition to poor spelling on a resume, how about when they don't change the cover letter? I've actually received some that say they were excited to see a job listing for (some job title that doesn't exist here), and then tell me why they want to work at (some other company).

If they cannot get the basics right....
Every time I've ever taken the time to write a very high-quality targeted cover letter, I've never gotten a response.

My boss has shoved several resumes under my nose recently and I haven't seen a single cover letter.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Every time I've ever taken the time to write a very high-quality targeted cover letter, I've never gotten a response.

My boss has shoved several resumes under my nose recently and I haven't seen a single cover letter.

Your industry must be different. Between no cover letters and no thank you emails, it's a strange world I'm unfamiliar with.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:35 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-Double check your resume before submitting it!
-Make sure your resume is not too simple; the more details - the better (relevant to the job you apply to)!
-Make sure your skills are listed and relevant to the job position!
-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
-No, we don't care if you learn new tasks quickly or love to learn - not an entry level position!
-No, I don't want to spend my time looking at your 5 page resume when you yourself aren't even sure if you qualify for the job position
-Don't be rude when you get a declined letter - sometimes we may have something else in the future based on your experience for you. You get angry or ignore, guess what... no job for you in the future and you will start from the beginning with the annoying interview process.
-Don't forget a 'thank you letter'... takes a minute to write few sentences. May be easier to remember you as well.
-If it shows you need a type of skill(s) and you have little/no experience, don't ask if it's "ok" or make up any other excuses.
-Be more formal when you write and talk... we're not in middle school or your friends/family member.
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
-Don't talk too much (we did not submit them for an interview solely for this reason unfortunately)
-What else can I think of now?
Your comments don't sound like they come from an actual hiring manager but an inexperienced HR recruiter.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:02 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, me either, in fact the decision is always made before we would even get the thank you. We do all interviews the same day one after another, and discuss/make the decision before even checking email.
Agreed.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In interviewer language, this means you are a border line applicant, and are being considered, but you have to convince me you are the right one for the job. If you were the perfect candidate, and the interviewer really wants you, you are treated different. You are not being rejected, but you are definitely not a prime candidate and only after some others are inteviewed are you going to be considered if no one else is better.
In our interviewer language it means exactly what it says and has nothing to do with how you did in the interview.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:10 PM

When we post minimum qualifications, that's what we mean. If you don't have 'em, don't apply. We are not desperate, we will not accept "almost" or "quick learners," you won't win us over with your charming personality and smile (we will never see you). We want what we want, and we say what we want.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:18 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I no longer send thank you letters for public sector jobs. All I received were responses of confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search