Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 08:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I got stood up for an interview a few months ago. I was shocked.

I wasn't sold on the job to begin with and certainly not after that kind of behavior. They emailed me the next day apologizing and asking to set up another interview. I simply didn't respond.
There will be occasions when an emergency comes up, that will keep a HM from holding an interview. Example: Something may have happened that shut down an assembly line, and getting it going again, would be much more important to the company at that time, than an interview and must take preference over doing an interview. Example: This happened to me one time when I was in the corporate world. I was to get back to town on a 10 am flight. There was a problem due to weather at the departure air port, and my plane could not take off. I did not get back to town till 3 pm and an hour later to the office. The interview had been at 1 pm.

Remember the HM has other duties, and responsibilities and sometimes an emergency situation comes up that makes interviewing someone take a back seat through no fault of the HM who was to hold the interview. If it is for a real junior position, they will usually assign someone else to hold the interview. But if it is for a responsible position they may want to hold the interview personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 10:16 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That's all very well. But I guess in the hiring process these days, what goes around comes around.
I totally get that. And I agree with you. If candidates were more professional, employers wouldn't get so frustrated with them and start giving them the same treatment. But that doesn't make it right.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:55 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
I totally get that. And I agree with you. If candidates were more professional, employers wouldn't get so frustrated with them and start giving them the same treatment. But that doesn't make it right.
Employers set the tone, candidates follow it.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:25 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,213 times
The reason people cant find a job is because they set their sights too high.
Listen, the US has shipped millions of good jobs overseas the past several years.
There are fewer good jobs than applicants.
Most college grads take up waitressing, bartendering or the such today if they are realistic.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:28 AM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,213 times
Applicants today are superior to those years ago. Several years ago
You could land a nice job
with relative ease. Not true today as the number of applicants exceeds the number of good paying jobs.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
pappjohn
Applicants today are superior to those years ago. Several years ago
You could land a nice job
with relative ease. Not true today as the number of applicants exceeds the number of good paying jobs.
We had the same problem years ago, when we were hiring. We would get a lot of people that applied for jobs they were not qualified for, educated for, or experienced just as today.

The problem, is many of today's applicants thing because they have college degree, and they like the sound of the job, feel they are qualified for the job. The majority of the applicants are not qualified in the eyes of the HM. They will interview the ones that sound like they may qualify for the job. Again the majority of the applicants will at the interview be found not qualified, and a large percentage of them will show they lied to get the interview, and when this is discovered they are gone as far as the HM is concerned. Some will appear to have the education and experience, but will blow the interview with their attitude, and answers to questions.

I remember about 40 years ago, we had just moved to an area due to family health problems. I had left the corporate world to be able to make the move. I needed a job. I saw an add for a furniture salesman at one of the finest department stores in the nation. I mailed in an application. The following afternoon I was called for an interview for the next day at 10 am. I got to the interview, and instead of the HR interview I was sent to see the Division Manager who took over the interview. We met and he asked me to sit down. He pointed to a stack of papers about 4 inches thick. He said those are the other applications. We just visited about 10 minutes to get to know one another. He said lets not fool around. What we would like is for you to take over the furniture department as manager. I asked how much extra it paid, and when he told me I turned it down. It would cost me money to be the manager. I asked what the three in the department made. He told me, which was in today's dollars between $125,000 to $150,000 in commission. I said I will take the job. Took me out to meet the department head, and the other salesman. The department head asked, "Are you going to be our new manager". The HM told him I was too smart to take the position, and the department head said, "We now knows he knows the business. I went down to personal and filled out the paperwork, went back to go to work.

Some will say they don't hire on the spot anymore. They rarely did back then either, but when the perfect candidate comes along which is rare, they still do.

I know a young women, that placed an add on Dice, as a full charge manager over one specialized business system, that was covering 123 different locations the company had around the country. She did her interview on the phone, and they hired her on the spot, in the town she wanted not only live in now, but where she wanted to retire. She had 43 trying to hire her from all over the country, within a week of placing her name in Dice. The woman I used as an example was one that was known, as she had spoken at national conferences, and people that had never met her, knew who she was. All would be large companies, and in lots of different fields. Some tried to get her to go with them, by offering her a lot more money such as go to the Silicon Valley where she was raised. All had been looking for that manager for 1 to 3 years. When you are one with rare qualifications you very often will be hired on the spot. If you do not have exactly what they want, and they will have to take border line applicants they will be very selective and may require numerous interviews. The woman I used as an example was one that was known, as she had spoken at national conferences, and people that had never met her, knew who she was.

When you take numerous interviews etc., before they will make a decision, it almost always an indication that you are considered a possibility, and if they cannot find a better applicant they will consider hiring you.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:32 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
I always find it interesting how we use to have no underemployment with college grads and companies never complained about not being able to hire, and this is when we didn't have enough applicants, now we have 50% underemployment in college grads, 20% in STEM, and all companies do is complain when we have more than enough candidates.

I think the biggest issue is that before, companies hired college grads with no experience and developed their workforce on the job, today, every single company out there wants 2-5 years experience or they aren't willing to hire at all. Entry level pay, but not entry level experience.

Well, if every single company is not willing to hire no experience grads, it is only a matter of time (like now) where there will just not be any more people to hire except for those already working.

Biggest mistake companies are making is not developing their workforce from the ground up. What companies do today is simply not sustainable.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:04 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Biggest mistake companies are making is not developing their workforce from the ground up. What companies do today is simply not sustainable.
I totally agree and in fact support the apprentice system in lieu of college in some cases. But I think employers are afraid that they may invest valuable human resources in training people and then the person skedaddles elsewhere after the valuable training. Ben Franklin is Exhibit "a" on that; he was apprenticed by his older brother in printing and then literally sneaked out of Boston to Philadelphia to use his talents. All else is history.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:57 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I always find it interesting how we use to have no underemployment with college grads and companies never complained about not being able to hire, and this is when we didn't have enough applicants, now we have 50% underemployment in college grads, 20% in STEM, and all companies do is complain when we have more than enough candidates.
Here is my perspective on this.

(1) We can't find enough good young engineers willing to take that extra step for a good career path. Right now, we have a huge project starting up soon that happens to be a little farther west from the main population center. This is construction engineering. You go where the construction happens. The construction site itself is about an hour and a half from the city. For those of us who are experienced engineers, going that far out is not a problem. The younger ones (the millenials) do nothing but whine whine whine. We're looking to hire half a dozen fresh-out-of-college guys for this project. They'll get higher than average pay, company car, gas and toll all paid for, etc. So far, I've only got 1 about-to-graduate qualified engineer that is genuinely interested. And she's foreign.

For the intern positions, it's even worse. I sent out an email to my old professors asking them to forward to their students of internship openings. The interns will get paid $20/hour, full time for the summer, company cars, company gas cards, reimbursement for equipments, etc. I even said in the email that we're looking to train interns for permanent hire after they graduate.

So far, I've only got applications coming in from foreign students. You saw that right. Not a single student that isn't foreign has applied.

American students are too spoiled these days. The work site is over an hour from where they live, and they don't want to take the opportunity. How many internship positions out there that pays $20/hour with a company car?

I'm beginning to think younger American workers are spoiled. They want to be coddled. They want high salary but don't want to drive very far.

Quote:
I think the biggest issue is that before, companies hired college grads with no experience and developed their workforce on the job, today, every single company out there wants 2-5 years experience or they aren't willing to hire at all. Entry level pay, but not entry level experience.
My company is about 10,000 engineers strong. We have branches all over the world. We pay engineers higher than average wages. I'm telling you now. We have trouble finding enough qualified entry level engineers that don't suck.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Here is my perspective on this.

(1) We can't find enough good young engineers willing to take that extra step for a good career path. Right now, we have a huge project starting up soon that happens to be a little farther west from the main population center. This is construction engineering. You go where the construction happens. The construction site itself is about an hour and a half from the city. For those of us who are experienced engineers, going that far out is not a problem. The younger ones (the millenials) do nothing but whine whine whine. We're looking to hire half a dozen fresh-out-of-college guys for this project. They'll get higher than average pay, company car, gas and toll all paid for, etc. So far, I've only got 1 about-to-graduate qualified engineer that is genuinely interested. And she's foreign.

For the intern positions, it's even worse. I sent out an email to my old professors asking them to forward to their students of internship openings. The interns will get paid $20/hour, full time for the summer, company cars, company gas cards, reimbursement for equipments, etc. I even said in the email that we're looking to train interns for permanent hire after they graduate.

So far, I've only got applications coming in from foreign students. You saw that right. Not a single student that isn't foreign has applied.

American students are too spoiled these days. The work site is over an hour from where they live, and they don't want to take the opportunity. How many internship positions out there that pays $20/hour with a company car?

I'm beginning to think younger American workers are spoiled. They want to be coddled. They want high salary but don't want to drive very far.

My company is about 10,000 engineers strong. We have branches all over the world. We pay engineers higher than average wages. I'm telling you now. We have trouble finding enough qualified entry level engineers that don't suck.
Really none applied and engineering of all degrees, a degree where countless threads of American kids complaining about freelancing not finding anything if Masters worth it? Or better yet one of the highly coveted high paying degrees?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search