Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:13 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks for the advice! Sorry for the late reply, been busy.

So the consensus is for me to leave it in my resume. My worries here is that if I apply for a job, I wouldn't have the chance to explain to the hiring manager why I am leaving and the recruiter may just ignore my resume (job hopper they think).

Also, one thing that I've never done before: leaving the job after 1-2 months. I feel truly bad for the current employer, but one of my friend told me: so what? He said that ff the situation is reversed, any company won't think twice about letting me go in a heartbeat. He also told me that I will be in the "do-not-rehire list" for that company.

Well, it's like you're hired as a developer to build the product, but then you're also managing the infrastructure. Or, you're hired as an accountant, but you're doing sales too. And I don't like sales / managing infrastructure... just not my cup of tea.

There is definitely a disconnect with what Joe (the one that got let go) and Bob (Joe's boss) wanted in this role. Oh, and Joe has been in the company for years and Bob been in the company... 3 months. Without giving more details, there are some political BS going on and I am in the middle of it.
I can certainly relate to your first example more than the 2nd. That said - you need to do what feels right. If this place doesn't, then move on. Or at the very least - see what's out there.

As for your resume being ignored - I see that as a potential risk either way. It's either leaving after just a month or two, or you've been unemployed for a month or two. Personally - I rather be leaving (which is also the truth...). And yea, what your friend said is pretty much par for the course. But it is a business decision - so look at it from that stand point. Your employer will survive. This happens all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
I would not leave it on the resume, here's why. If I were to interview you for a similar role I would be cautioned to ask what your role was there, usually 1 and 1/2 months is not long enough to understand the company. It is a rush of judgement, and would make me think if I hired you, you might do the same thing to me. If you leave it off it's a wash, it's a restart button.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:40 PM

9 posts, read 17,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I would not leave it on the resume, here's why. If I were to interview you for a similar role I would be cautioned to ask what your role was there, usually 1 and 1/2 months is not long enough to understand the company. It is a rush of judgement, and would make me think if I hired you, you might do the same thing to me. If you leave it off it's a wash, it's a restart button.
That's what I am concerned about. You said you would be cautioned - would you look further to see if there's a pattern (2-3 jobs in short stint) or 1 is enough for you?

Just curious...

Old 01-18-2015, 05:25 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
I agree with MJ7. Resolve the missing time by putting your time on job dates in the following format on your resume:
Company A 2007-2010
Company B 2010-2014
I've done this because I had so many lay-offs due to the economy that it looked like ''job hopping''.
With this format no gaps show and no one has ever questioned it.
Leave it off.
You could also say you took time to travel, cared for an ailing family member, etc..
Why put doubt in their mind and lose an opportunity over a 6 week fiasco?
I wouldn't.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
You said you would be cautioned - would you look further to see if there's a pattern (2-3 jobs in short stint) or 1 is enough for you?

Just curious...
Job hopping for most hiring managers is a red flag, for me it can be, it depends on various variables. It would make me explore more of your past and the in-person interview (if you made it to one) would hold more weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I agree with MJ7. Resolve the missing time by putting your time on job dates in the following format on your resume:
Company A 2007-2010
Company B 2010-2014

I wouldn't.
This is a great suggestion. However, it should be noted that upon an HR investigation they will learn the months you worked for Company A, B, C, etc.

Leave it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search