Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,918 times

Advertisements

So, I had a summer internship with a top Bank in Investment Management and absolutely loved my experience. Fortunately, I received a full time offer to return next summer in July. I will be returning to the same office location that I worked in this summer, which is only about 10 minutes from my university. I had an excellent summer and I would love to return full-time, however, I have decided to go to school one additional semester next Fall to take 3 night classes because I have extra scholarship money that I want to use up––and then will graduate in the winter, rather than in May. I'm also abroad my whole senior year and given this, there are still a couple courses at my home university that I still want to take and could by returning for one additional semester.

The job is 40 hours a week and rarely ever any overtime––unlike investment banking––and it would definitely be doable to work full time and take evening classes in that final semester. However, the offer states that one of the terms is “successful completion of my degree.” Given that my school is literally 10 minutes away from the job and I would have finished my Economics degree requirements and can prove this by way of my transcript, but would just be choosing to stay an additional semester to take a few extra classes that I never had the opportunity to take earlier––do you think this is something I would lose the offer over? I would just be graduating a semester later––so it wouldn’t be like I got an offer, and then just decided not to finish school. And it wouldn’t interfere with my success at my job.

I am so worried to ask the recruiter because I really loved the job so much this summer and the office that I worked in, and I don’t want to lose the opportunity. It says in the offer letter that the Bank will actually ask for a copy of a diploma to verify that you have graduated within a month of starting the job. This is just such a good offer, and I don't want to lose it. I would think it would be a good thing because I can take more classes I'm interested in that will benefit me in the job....because the semester is completely payed for with scholarship that I would otherwise lose. And I worked in this same office this past summer and loved it––I already know everyone and got along well with co-workers/managers there. Do you think they would be lenient given the fact that all my degree requirements are completed?

Also, I am worried about saying something to the recruiter before I start orientation/training because i'm concerned they will say thats not okay and just give the offer to someone else on their list. For this reason, I was thinking about bringing it up when I start the job, but I am not sure if this is pushing my luck. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Be honest. You don't want to start a job off on the wrong foot!

Old 01-14-2015, 05:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
If you got along with your manager during your time there, why not ask if you can meet with him or her for twenty minutes and have a discussion about it? That will get you further than talking to a recruiter, I would think.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerB1 View Post
So, I had a summer internship with a top Bank in Investment Management and absolutely loved my experience. Fortunately, I received a full time offer to return next summer in July. I will be returning to the same office location that I worked in this summer, which is only about 10 minutes from my university. I had an excellent summer and I would love to return full-time, however, I have decided to go to school one additional semester next Fall to take 3 night classes because I have extra scholarship money that I want to use up––and then will graduate in the winter, rather than in May. I'm also abroad my whole senior year and given this, there are still a couple courses at my home university that I still want to take and could by returning for one additional semester.

The job is 40 hours a week and rarely ever any overtime––unlike investment banking––and it would definitely be doable to work full time and take evening classes in that final semester. However, the offer states that one of the terms is “successful completion of my degree.” Given that my school is literally 10 minutes away from the job and I would have finished my Economics degree requirements and can prove this by way of my transcript, but would just be choosing to stay an additional semester to take a few extra classes that I never had the opportunity to take earlier––do you think this is something I would lose the offer over? I would just be graduating a semester later––so it wouldn’t be like I got an offer, and then just decided not to finish school. And it wouldn’t interfere with my success at my job.

I am so worried to ask the recruiter because I really loved the job so much this summer and the office that I worked in, and I don’t want to lose the opportunity. It says in the offer letter that the Bank will actually ask for a copy of a diploma to verify that you have graduated within a month of starting the job. This is just such a good offer, and I don't want to lose it. I would think it would be a good thing because I can take more classes I'm interested in that will benefit me in the job....because the semester is completely payed for with scholarship that I would otherwise lose. And I worked in this same office this past summer and loved it––I already know everyone and got along well with co-workers/managers there. Do you think they would be lenient given the fact that all my degree requirements are completed?

Also, I am worried about saying something to the recruiter before I start orientation/training because i'm concerned they will say thats not okay and just give the offer to someone else on their list. For this reason, I was thinking about bringing it up when I start the job, but I am not sure if this is pushing my luck. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice!
There will be a wide variety of opinions on this, but I have highlighted several of your statements that indicate to me that you feel you really want the position. You have already established some understanding of corporate culture and developed relationships with coworkers; and jobs (good ones, anyway) are getting harder to find - jobs that you have a good "fit" with will be even more rare!

IMO you should finish the degree, take the job, and accept that you left some scholarship money on the table. I think you do risk losing the job over delaying your graduation.

You could speak to a manager and ask about the option of taking additional classes and graduating a semester later, but I would expect a tepid response unless the classes are very specific to your employment (not sorta...). You are starting a new position with a leg up because of your internship, but you are still starting a new job - that is where I think you should focus all your energies for the next couple of years.

I did do an MBA while employed, but I had 12 years in when I started the program, and with a very good track record, so allowances were made. I doubt I could have sold that at the front end of my employment.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
From my experience, recruiters and HR, for whatever reason, want you to start ASAP, so if you want more time, I probably wouldn't start with them. I've been down that road more than once with asking for a delayed starting date.

If you have the contact info of your manager(s), I would maybe email them if you had a good relationship.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:13 PM

436 posts, read 579,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerB1 View Post

It says in the offer letter that the Bank will actually ask for a copy of a diploma to verify that you have graduated within a month of starting the job.

This is just such a good offer, and I don't want to lose it.

I would think it would be a good thing because I can take more classes I'm interested in that will benefit me in the job....because the semester is completely payed for with scholarship that I would otherwise lose.

Thanks for the advice!
Your answer is in writing in the offer letter.

If it is such a good offer and you don't want to lose it then DON'T! Graduate on time, don't delay your graduation because you have scholarship money. Chances are this company will pay for education expenses once you go to work there and you can take additional classes on their dime. Do what you have to do to qualify for the job.

I work for a company who makes contingent offers. I have seen offers rescinded when the potential recruit didn't live up to their end of the bargain which was to graduate with a degree.

You are on a slippery slope here, I hope you regain your footing quickly.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,240 times
Don't do this.

Not just because it would be difficult--if not impossible--to convince the employer to back off from their degree requirements. That's actually the least problematic part of this whole thing.

Starting a new job is hard. Starting your first (career) job? Exponentially harder than that. There are myriad learning curves. Having prior intern experience at that location will cut down on this slightly, but the expectations for full time employees are going to be very different than what was asked of you as an intern.

You think you can do it all. And honestly you probably could. You seem bright and motivated. However, your work is going to suffer. You can't give 100% to your new job if you are splitting your focus. You only have one chance to make a first impression, and you don't want yours to be "that guy who has promise but always seems distracted/exhausted/stressed."

Take the offer. Get settled in. Enjoy working for a company you admire. You have your entire life to pick up those classes if you still feel they are important.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,918 times
Thanks for the advice everyone. I think quite a few valid points were made. I'm going to contact the recruiter to request an exception for this. If this is not an option, I will graduate in may.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search