Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:19 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Dear Boosane:

Thank you for your interest in Wayne Industries, and the time you spent speaking with us in regards to the Associate I position in our Gotham office.

Unfortunately, though your qualifications are good, we have selected another candidate whose experience more closely matches the requirements for the position.

Again, we sincerely appreciate your time and effort in this matter, and wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

The bolded is probably the most irritating set of words I've come across in my job search.
It shouldnt because it's nothing but creative rejection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 AM

66 posts, read 95,235 times
I rather not receive a rejection letter. If I never hear from a company before or after an interview, I KNOW they won't hire me. I don't need a slap-in-the-face letter full of lies.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeniusGirl800 View Post
I rather not receive a rejection letter. If I never hear from a company before or after an interview, I KNOW they won't hire me. I don't need a slap-in-the-face letter full of lies.
I think it's useful to get a rejection letter in the kind of scenario where you've made it to the final round of interviews. Nice to know you should stop holding your breath for that job, especially if you're offered a different job.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:36 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,482 times
I'm more surprised that I received a personalized rejection letter once, after getting dozens of robot emails. It was for a job at a company that I was laid off from. I'm not sure if I was close to receiving the job, or there was guilt from my former hiring manager for leaving me struggling with employment.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:45 AM
FBJ

[ QUOTE=GeniusGirl800;38127623]I rather not receive a rejection letter. If I never hear from a company before or after an interview, I KNOW they won't hire me. I don't need a slap-in-the-face letter full of lies.[/quote]

Me either, I was cool with coming up with my own conclusions after no contact for 3 weeks

Old 01-22-2015, 12:11 PM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,875 times
I always prefer a rejection for closure. I don't really need all the other canned fluff. Just a 'yes' or 'no'. I've had companies get back to me after weeks of no contact. That's just the way some of them work. Still, after a while, I will automatically move to 'no', and I am applying to other positions at the same time. I do, however, appreciate the rare personalized rejection email.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I don't think it's that complicated. Most people, even employers, are pretty nice people. They know that a rejection will be bad news for the person getting it, and they have no desire to cause needless suffering. Therefore, although sending a rejection is unavoidable, phrasing it in a way that gives some kind of pleasant or positive nod to the dignity and self-worth of the applicant is just a humane way of treating people.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM
FBJ

I never wanted a rejection letter clogging up my mailbox. If I was to receive a rejection send it through email.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Put me in the "I prefer to receive a rejection letter" camp, pleasant or otherwise. I want to keep track of who I shouldn't be trying to follow up with.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:30 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Would you rather get one that tells you that your interview demeanor was a complete joke and won't even be able to work at McDonald's?

They're being polite and non-committal. One of the complaints about business a couple decades ago was that many managers/HR departments had no people skills (or ethics, but that's another discussion). The pleasant letter is a result of that.
I don't know about the OP but I sure as hell would 100 percent. Honesty is always the best policy. If they can't tell me what I did wrong with them how am I going to know what to improve? I need to hear from the actual source or I'm never going to know for sure. I know that every employer is different but it would still help to hear from someone who was actually there.
People think "you can't handle the truth" but if I could I would go on X Factor just to have Simon Cowell insult me. As much as I don't like rude people I would rather them be rude than pretend they liked what I did. This is one reason why I'm screwed forever. I'm always going to keep making mistakes that will keep me from getting the job because I'm not getting the answers I need. If it's something with them then alright I'm not going to sue them. I'm just going to move on or maybe just maybe I can fix that too. Whatever prejudice they have against me I will take the steps to hide it. Maybe I will succeed with this maybe I won't but it'd be nice if I could know what they're all seeing. Otherwise I'm going to assume I always did wrong because to me I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
If you were not interviewed and it's just a notice saying the position has been filled most likely the job was never open to begin with so you should never take those types of rejection seriously. Lots of companies have to give outsiders an equal chance of applying to jobs so they usually make it seem like the position is open when it's really not.

I worked at a company for 6 years that did this all the time
That's another thing. It's really messed up that they would even act like they're hiring when they're not. In this case like someone else said then I'd know for sure who to avoid.

I know that they send so many of these but it's bogus that it has to be this way. I have no control over the situation because I'm left in the dark. People will tell you it's this or that but how do I know what to believe?

Last edited by Nickchick; 01-22-2015 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search