Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 PM

34,864 posts, read 30,962,553 times

Advertisements

Our office had something very interesting happen this week. We have new business coming in and have been looking to staff up. The office found a perfect candidate and he came in for an interview last week. The interview went well and an offer was extended this week.

The position he was interviewing for was at the office I work at and that was made abundantly clear to the candidate. He flew in on his own dime. When the offer came in, the candidate refused it unless he gets to work at another office. The hiring manager and recruiter are furious, but as the company needs qualified candidates in this position, they're probably going to give in as he's such a good fit otherwise, but he won't be starting off on a good note.

There doesn't seem to be much justification for this other than him saying he wants to be in a major metro. Needless to say, I've not seen anything like this, when someone comes in for an interview at one location, the job is at the same location, then they want to go somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM

262 posts, read 1,022,184 times
Maybe he saw your location and changed his mind about wanting to live and work there. A candidate flying in for an interview doesn't automatically mean they will accept the job if it's offered. Interviews are a two way street and he obviously didn't like something about your location.

And this must not be such an outlandish request if your company is willing to go along with it. The guy probably knows they need qualified candidates and he has leverage to negotiate for what he wants. I'm not sure why anybody would be "furious" over this....the company didn't even pay for his airfare! If they are truly "furious" over this, then they have every right not to hire him. But, apparently you need him more than he needs you, and he realizes this. I can't fault anyone for acting in their own best interest and being picky about where they work...it's a major life-impacting choice.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:22 PM

34,864 posts, read 30,962,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighusker View Post
Maybe he saw your location and changed his mind about wanting to live and work there. A candidate flying in for an interview doesn't automatically mean they will accept the job if it's offered. Interviews are a two way street and he obviously didn't like something about your location.

And this must not be such an outlandish request if your company still wants him. The guy probably knows they need qualified candidates and he has leverage to negotiate for what he wants. I'm not sure why anybody would be "furious" over this....you didn't even pay for his airfare. If they are truly "furious" over this, then don't hire him. But, apparently they need him more than he needs them. I can't fault anyone for acting in their own best interest and being picky about where they work...it's a major life-impacting choice.
I think he got the vibe that the team was stressed and that he held the chips. Since July, they've hired one and lost two. Just seems like a total prick move to me.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 PM

908 posts, read 956,045 times
no one is forcing your company to hire the guy. if the company hires him, then he did the right thing by insisting on being at another location. good for him.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:25 AM

262 posts, read 1,022,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I think he got the vibe that the team was stressed and that he held the chips. Since July, they've hired one and lost two. Just seems like a total prick move to me.
Honestly, the "prick moves" are usually the right ones when it comes to business negotiations. This isn't about being friendly, it's about getting the best possible deal for yourself.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,537,936 times
Quote:
Our office had something very interesting happen this week. We have new business coming in and have been looking to staff up. The office found a perfect candidate and he came in for an interview last week. The interview went well and an offer was extended this week.

The position he was interviewing for was at the office I work at and that was made abundantly clear to the candidate. He flew in on his own dime. When the offer came in, the candidate refused it unless he gets to work at another office. The hiring manager and recruiter are furious, but as the company needs qualified candidates in this position, they're probably going to give in as he's such a good fit otherwise, but he won't be starting off on a good note.

There doesn't seem to be much justification for this other than him saying he wants to be in a major metro. Needless to say, I've not seen anything like this, when someone comes in for an interview at one location, the job is at the same location, then they want to go somewhere else.
You said he flew in on his own dime, so why would they be so furious?

Now if they paid his airfare, provided a hotel and meals, than they have something to be furious about as someone in your company could be held accountable for bringing him in for an interview.

As another poster said, he could have come and looked around and thought "I don't want to live here" and made up that excuse about the location.

But it doesn't sound like it cost your company much at all other than some of their time.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:29 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,661,210 times
I agree. As others said, it's business not personal, and he'd be justified in making the best decision for himself (and his family, if applicable) even if the prospective employer paid to fly him in for the interview, but they didn't so there is truly nothing to be upset about as far as I can see.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:44 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,073,389 times
Quote:

I had a buddy apply for jobs all around the country for the full intention of staying in Dallas. He got an offer for a job, 1000 miles north. During the interview, he insisted on no relocation. His qualifications were so much better than local candidates, that they gave him the job and set him with his own office in Dallas.

That's one thing I learned from my career mentors, apply everywhere. Many companies will hire the candidate, if he can make them more money than the local guys. They can allow you to work in a different office or work remote. All they can say is no.

It's business, not personal . It goes both ways. It's like the oil industry laying off people in ND, because they can't make enough money to cover the cost of drilling. They aren't doing it, because it's personal.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:24 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,357,672 times
They wouldn't even spring to pay for his flight. Did they at least reimburse him upon hiring, or will they?

Sounds like he didn't care for the area, or maybe he was less impressed by the company that he wanted to change the location to make it worth it.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:33 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,271,647 times
Quote:

People often forget that the interview is as much for the interviewee to scope you out as for you to decide if you want to hire them. Perhaps this individual did not like the feel of your office or location. It happens, move on to the next one.

As to justified? Well, the guy flew in on his dime, so what the heck are you complaining about? Your needs are not his problem, he paid his own way and probably had a better offer come his way. If he's the perfect candidate for you, he's probably also the perfect candidate for others too. I would guess that the "another office" condition is a dodge. The guy doesn't want to work for your outfit, simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search