Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:06 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

It was actually in the parking lot before my afternoon interview. As I got out of my car, another man, just two cars down from me, also got out and we were the only two people walking towards the building. He was carrying his lunch bag and looked as miserable as can be. Once we both entered the building, I began thinking, "Why do I feel that this guy is headed to the same place I am?"

When the two of us happened to enter the elevator, and its all silence. We get off at the second floor and I find myself walking right behind him all the way do to the same suite where my scheduled interview is. Of course he enters the suite first and heads into the back. One of the workers asks who I am as he's never seen me before. I told him who I was there to see. He tells me, "he'll be right out." A couple minutes later, the same guy who I literally walked into the building and all the way down the halls was the guy who was interviewing me. He was much nicer during the interview, but it was just so weird and something that I'll never forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 08:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I had an interview set up that I walked out on, while sitting in the waiting room. The interviewer was driving to this office and was 20 minutes late, had not called, the office tried to contact her and she was unavailable. I thought, forget this. If you don't have enough respect to call the applicant and explain your lateness, why would I work for you??

Old 02-04-2015, 08:35 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
As soon as I walked through the front door (of a place in Buffalo)

Old 02-07-2015, 11:28 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
It was back in December. I had a phone interview with the company's recruiter for an internship position as a recruiter. We agreed in an e-mail a few days earlier about the time. "Will 3PM work?," she wrote. "Absolutely, I'm looking forward to our conversation," I replied.

I awaited patiently for the phone interview call at 3PM. I'm as ready as can be. Remember, NO phone calls -- only receive a call from the company. 15 minutes pass, I'm still waiting. I become pretty frustrated and feeling let-down, so at 3:40, I e-mailed her. She responds like 10 seconds later, saying "I’m so sorry! I had you down for 4:00 PM. My apologies! Can I call you right now?" I was P----ED! Talk about a negative first impression, and even the audacity to want to speak to me 45 minutes later. I told her that wouldn't work and we eventually set on another time for the interview. The next phone interview and we discussed my qualifications. I met the criteria but I never heard anything back from them. Looking back, I think I dodged a bullet with them!

Employers believe that first impressions are everything. Well, it works both ways. When you can't get an interview time right, I'm guessing the company is pretty dysfunctional.
LOL, that's nothing! Sounds like a possible honest mistake. I've had SEVERAL scheduled phone interviewers where the interviewer never called me, AND didn't send me an email, AND didn't return my calls, AND maybe a week later said they "had something come up".

Old 02-07-2015, 11:43 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
When they left me alone in a windowless room for 20 minutes when the next interviewer did not show up. Then the next pompous fool who walked in said he hadn't even seen my resume yet.

I played polite for the remainder of the interview (you never know when paths will cross again in the future) but ultimately I declined their offer.

If they can't be polite to a candidate, imagine how they treat employees.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:09 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
I interviewed with a state agency and one of the men doing the interview was texting most of the time, would not look at me, and was dressed like a slob. He then asked me the same questions the other man just asked. It was very weird and unprofessional.

I think they already had someone in mind, but were going through the motions because they had to interview a certain number of people.

Needless to say, I didn't get the job and very happy about it.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:39 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
When I am interviewing with the staff from a company, I interview them also. I ask about culture, working environment, benefits, etc. If I get any "red flag" answers, I probe with deeper questions and at that point, I know the place is probably not for me.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
I know within 30 seconds...I am really good at reading situations. It is hard to get into detail because I just have the ability (it a very strong Ti and Se function combination...I am really tuned into my surrounds and read people like a book...I know what you're going to do before you do it.).

When I know I am not going to get the job, I like to bust their balls when it comes to my turn to ask questions. It is fun to watch them squirm. It makes me smirk and feel all giddy to watch these idiots struggle with some of the questions I ask. If they are really incompetent and or I know they are trying to bull**** me I shoot the "ISTP stare of doom" at them because they don't expect it. The reactions are usually priceless. I have had people literally jump up out of their chair and or have a facial expression of terror.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:46 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
You're spooky! LOL

Love it!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:21 AM

125 posts, read 134,330 times
I've walked out before interviews. Many times, because I was driving down and thought the area was unsafe and/or too difficult to get to. I remember starting down a road that was barely able to hold my car and another car almost side swiping me. I imagined that road covered with ice and snow and found the nearest side street and took it back to the main road. Twice, because I had to wait over twenty minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search