Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 PM

60 posts, read 140,195 times

Advertisements

The Acceptance letter was attached in an email from the HR lady (This was sent Jan. 8); the last sentence of the email (not the letter) was "Once I receive your signed letter I can proceed with the hiring process."

The letter starts off, "I am excited to inform you that you are being offered the full time position of XYZ. We are offering you a wage of XYZ which will be subject to deductions for taxes and other withholdings as required by law or the policies of the company." Then it talked about the benefit package. "If the above is satisfactory, please sign and date this letter and return it to me by January 8th, 2015. Your signature allows me to continue with the hiring process." And then what I signed said, "Acceptance of Employment: I accept this recommendation of employment with XYZ as specified in this letter."

Now, the wording is wonky. Clearly it's a job offer, an Acceptance of Employment, but wording about continuing with the hiring process is weird, right?

So, Back to NE, nope, the letter said nothing about the background check, although I know that that was part of getting a job with the company (the only negative thing on my background check would be one 5mph-over-the-limit speeding ticket from years ago!).

STT Resident, I had texted that woman that day, and then she left me a voicemail. I'm not sure if she even got the text; the voicemail started with, "Hi, I've been thinking about you," and then saying what I wrote in my post.

It could be the HR lady and this lady weren't in contact. I don't know why HR didn't interview me.

Thank you, FlowerBlossom2015- it would be awkward going back to my old job, especially because my bosses and everyone knows now that I have been looking for work elsewhere, that I think I'm "above" that job.

Thomas185, I have thought what you thought in your last sentence; since she said "positions" and I only applied for one position...maybe they had hired many people in case some people couldn't do the job or something.

MPowering, I had texted her (name is in her phone- like I wrote above, maybe she didn't get my text- maybe she has an old phone without texting, or maybe she just didn't mention the text in her voicemail)...in my text, I wrote, "Hi {name}, it's Amy {last name}. I hope you're doing well! I had emailed {HR lady} last week and she said that she would contact me once my hiring packet is approved. I was just wondering if you know how long that usually takes and if there are any steps I should be helping you all with. Thank you!"

Now, obviously it's a company with something fishy going on, so I probably don't want the job, but when my boyfriend's stepmother contacts the President, it'll be interesting to see if she plays detective.

It still sucks, though. I'm searching for jobs today, but not applying- I don't know if on my resume/applications I need to put that I worked or do work at my last job!

The letter did not include a start date. I thought that everything was completed, due to being hired... I know that background checks take a while. Basically, there was not much communication; every week I contacted either the HR lady (the past 2 weeks) or the other lady (via text, Friday). So, maybe boo on me, but they could have said what the government told you, eyeb, telling me not to quit yet.

a) I don't like that job and was super-excited to be able to put my 2-week notice in, but b) I never would have imagined that this would happen. Live and learn, I guess.

Last edited by t1nkerbell24; 02-02-2015 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: add-on to new posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 12:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
I would try calling again, and talk to the person who gave you the offer letter. It sounds as if there is a lot of mis-communication going on. Best of luck, absolutely awful.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:22 PM

140 posts, read 223,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I would try calling again, and talk to the person who gave you the offer letter. It sounds as if there is a lot of mis-communication going on. Best of luck, absolutely awful.
Agreed. Call them again confirm that you're the person who received the offer letter and make sure they official say they are resending it. It sounds like someone is very confused on their end.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the advice, you two. I just emailed the HR lady this:

{HR Lady},

I hadn't heard from you in a while, and I texted {lady I interviewed with} on Friday. That night, I received a voicemail from her; she said that she thinks that all of the positions have been filled, but could I write her a letter about my experience.

I'm not sure if she is aware that I signed the letter that said, "I am excited to inform you that you are being offered the full time position," "Acceptance of Employment." I know that the Craigslist ad on which I found the job posting said that I would be responsible for writing {the organization} a check for my background check, but I was never asked for that, so I'm hoping that that wasn't the issue. I'm unsure why you never contacted me back, saying that the job had indeed been filled by someone else, or if {other lady} just was unaware of the letter that I signed.

I am very confused, and possibly without a job now.

Thank you,

Amy

(It's a non-profit, so asking for a check for the background check and then paying it back after 90 days isn't totally crazy, I think. I do know from my bf's stepmom that the agency has been going through a lot of changes lately.)

Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Hmmm...I would have called the HR person. All this emailing and texting (!) leaves room for confusion (and in fact the above email you just sent is very unclear). I have never and would never text someone with whom I was interviewing for a job. It's very unprofessional.

It's definitely an unsual situation, and I don't believe the hiring manager wouldn't remember your name.

I have worked for several non-profits and have never been asked to pay for a background check.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:46 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Hmmm...I would have called the HR person. All this emailing and texting (!) leaves room for confusion (and in fact the above email you just sent is very unclear). I have never and would never text someone with whom I was interviewing for a job. It's very unprofessional.

It's definitely an unsual situation, and I don't believe the hiring manager wouldn't remember your name.

I have worked for several non-profits and have never been asked to pay for a background check.
Exactly. Pick up the phone and call. Now.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:50 PM

140 posts, read 223,477 times
I definitely would have called instead of writing. Your email although it has purpose is a bit confusing at the moment. Also the check thing and fact that it was found on craigslist seems a tad sketchy. Could be a bait and switch deal, they get checks from people and then con them (I know you haven't given a check yet).

As it is currently wait for them to reply or call directly. If they don't, then move on and find something better preferably not on craiglist (just a tip).

Old 02-02-2015, 12:52 PM

334 posts, read 585,214 times
Could it be a scam to get the $ for "background checks" and there isn't really any job? That would be horrible. But it's horrible, anyway, what an awful experience.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
wait wait, you said you found this job on craigslist? Is this a "hiring" company that posts on craigslist by chance? I'm not entirely sure but you did check out the company right? As in, you made sure it was legit, interviewed with them at their campus, etc? Not that there are no real jobs are on craigslist, but a big company normally don't use it. And with a small company, anything goes with communication errors. And there isn't much you can do, you won't get far "suing" for a job either. Nor will you get much/any "lost" salary either since you weren't under a contract of employment yet if the hiring process wasn't actually completed.

At this point, you could hold out hope that the job comes through but there's little chance of it it seems. And try not to text HR, it doesn't leave much of a paper trail/and it looks plain unprofessional (to me anyways). Then trying to find another job? Maybe explain situation with current job's manager and see if they don't know of any job openings in same field somewhere else, if you didn't burn bridges there and get along with the manager. Manager may not be able to save your job at current place, but might help finding a new one for you, they tend to hear about openings at the competition, for future jobs or through grape vine.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:17 PM

It's actually a legit nonprofit (they've been around since 1969); like I said, my boyfriend's stepmom does work through her agency with them, and they've even done work with my former employer (I just got word that I don't have my last job anymore). I use many sources to apply to jobs; a lot of people have had success finding work on Craigslist; I'm very aware about fake postings and whatnot.

I didn't text HR, I texted the non-HR lady; emailed with the HR lady. I figure emailing leaves more of a "paper trail" than phone calls do.

My dad said try to apply to other jobs where I was working (at a hospital), (and like I wrote, I just found out that my old job has been terminated), but I'm not sure that HR would hire me again knowing that I quit (even though I gave notice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search