Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 08:22 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
There are several places I've worked where they had a policy of not re-hiring people who had left, regardless of how good you were at the job. The reasoning being that if you upped and left once, then you'll probably do it again. That's certainly the policy of my current employer. They do make a point of explaining that to anyone who asks the "re-hire" question at least.
I think this is industry specific. My guess is that may be true in some older-line companies. It most certainly is not true in high tech. In fact, if you don't change employers every 2-3 years or so, people will start to whisper, "What's wrong with Bob? Why can't he find a new job? Maybe he's not very good."

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule - a startup was hiring a lot of engineers for a project that was in hindsight not technically feasible (and many people at the time thought not technically feasible), and some Silicon Valley companies would tell exiting engineers that joining XYZ startup was evidence of poor technical judgment on the part of the engineer & hence would flag them to prevent re-hire. That start-up burned through a lot of cash and folded, because they could never deliver on the new technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Sometimes rehearsed answers backfire, especially with New College Grads (I'm interviewing engineering students for a job as a Product Marketing Engineer in a Fortune 50 high tech company)

Me: "What are you looking for in your Employer? What type of job environment do you seek?"

Candidate: "I really like working with people." <=== canned answer

Me: (bored with this candidate's trite answer) "Have you considered a career in Mortuary Science?"

Candidate: (clearly stumped - takes a few moments for them to get it) "Well, I prefer working with live people"

Me: "Mortuaries work with lots of live people."
It may not the best answer for the questions you asked but not a bad one. The person might have been being genuine but it came off as canned to you too. However judging by posts you've made, it seems more like your character than it actually being canned.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It may not the best answer for the questions you asked but not a bad one. The person might have been being genuine but it came off as canned to you too. However judging by posts you've made, it seems more like your character than it actually being canned.
Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue with the applicant here. If you don't like their answer, why not ask to clarify a bit?

If someone started toying with me when I spent my time and effort to be at that interview, they'd get a big piece of my mind and a complaint to corporate.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:54 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
Yeah, I'm not seeing the issue with the applicant here. If you don't like their answer, why not ask to clarify a bit?

If someone started toying with me when I spent my time and effort to be at that interview, they'd get a big piece of my mind and a complaint to corporate.
When people are interviewing, it's like we are so desperate to get the job we don't realize we are interviewing them, too. We should hold them just as accountable to what they do as they would do for us.

If they toy with you during the interview, they'll do it when you're there, too! I agree.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Sum timez I be want'n to holler at HR n see if dey iz hirin. U kno, fo like a job n ****

If u cn rd ths u cn bcm a sec & gt gd pa.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:45 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post

I don't see spotyandmisty's question as toying with the candidate. A bit sarcastic or humorous perhaps, but not offensive.

As an applicant you can always complain to corporate/HR. I have had that happen a couple of times to me in my career. Once my boss mentioned it in an off hand manner several months later, as a piece of minor trivia that wasn't important enough to discuss until we were having drinks at a corporate meeting. The other time HR called me and told me to keep up the good work in screening out troublesome applicants.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:47 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Here's a situation not that far from me for a local government job.

Back in October a job was posted with 12 applicants. Six were interviewed in November, three were supposed to move to a second interview but for some reason only two did. Job offered in December to #1...turned it down (allegedly due to the pay..keep in mind it's government and the range is known at application)so it was offered to #2 who has been retired for awhile. Had cold feet and rejected it.

In January it was reposted and seven were interviewed last week. The board said that only one stood out among the seven. But they were asked to send three. Why they did not is beyond me. As a result it was voted by the board above them to not interview this person as to not embarrass the government and the person. This will be reposted AGAIN. More then likely the interviews won't occur until early April.

Is this a huge mission critical position? Hard to say. But it is not one that should take six months to fill. That top candidate probably will not reapply because it will not be disclosed who it was.

Meanwhile there are months of meetings and projects that are just being passed off because no one is in that position. The way I see it there has to be planning and no rule of thumbs. Sometimes it is better to put someone in even if they are not perfect to expect they'll grow into the job. Emptiness shows a lack of respect if not outright neglect.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:56 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
This has come up in here numerous times, but it’s not all the applicants fault. The so-called gatekeepers at numerous companies need to be taken in the back 40 and beat with a rubber hose as a severance package. When I was looking for a career level job I’m surprised at the amount of inept people that get parked in a gatekeeper position. If you want to talk about people who couldn’t string two sentences together, look you in the eye or shoot straight. Those people are the gatekeepers of today’s employment environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search