Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 03:12 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,202,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Its youre job as an interviewer to try to figure out what they really know, and yes, I'd say at least 50% of the people pretty clearly embellish.

It sounds like the people interviewing you didn't do their jobs well. Most places I've worked don't rely on HR to do their screening, or even to check recommendations. The interview is largely about the candidate skillset and their articulation of this skillset, and relevant experience, the rest is fit and culture.
That's what I thought as well but its usually personality and/or greatest strength/weakness crap. Which proves nothing of value but apparently makes the interviewer feel sagacious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 02:15 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Point View Post
Here are some examples of the behavior of these job applicants that may add some clarity to my concerns:

Appears incoherent or unfocused - offers incomplete thoughts, jumps between ideas, loses track of the conversation

Inarticulate - poor speech or grammar; uses jargon or slang when speaking Incomplete answers - offers simply 'yes' or 'no' to questions requiring thought

Evasive - when asked about background, moves to another topic

Talks too much - probably a sign of a gossip or someone who waists time talking instead of working

Fails to discuss accomplishments - simply reviews job duties Poor listening skills - doesn't pay attention to questions

Never asks questions - shows no interest in the job or the company
For someone who professes to have just recently become part of the interview process, you seem to have quite the laundry list of complaints about prospective employees. No wonder you retired!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
That's what I thought as well but its usually personality and/or greatest strength/weakness crap. Which proves nothing of value but apparently makes the interviewer feel sagacious.
The thing it's you are told to pick on a weakness that you already turned into a strength or plan to. None the less, it is a silly trap question to ask. I one answered a weakness that I plan to work on and later said it was also important on the job and the interviewer asked why I listed a weakness as a important trait to the job. I responded, I was looking to improve. I guess he trapped me with that one...

Old 02-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The thing it's you are told to pick on a weakness that you already turned into a strength or plan to. None the less, it is a silly trap question to ask. I one answered a weakness that I plan to work on and later said it was also important on the job and the interviewer asked why I listed a weakness as a important trait to the job. I responded, I was looking to improve. I guess he trapped me with that one...
I hate those questions because there is no correct answer and whatever you respond with will be held against you. I deduced that if you are asked this question you are not going to be hired and that the interviewer is just screwing with your head for kicks.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I hate those questions because there is no correct answer and whatever you respond with will be held against you. I deduced that if you are asked this question you are not going to be hired and that the interviewer is just screwing with your head for kicks.
The problem isn't the question but the shifting of the goal posts, it is one thing to be saying it is a weakness all along, it's anther to say an area that you want to work on and then frame it as a weakness after the fact.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,446 times
Quote:
Choose a weakness irrelevant to the job. A good one is "math". But express how you've used it and how you're stronger at it now. Another good one? Current events. "I'm bad with keeping up with the news, but in my last position I made sure to keep up with trends in the industry and so I got more used to watching the news and now I find it interesting to keep up with current events. It's a weakness of mine, non-the-less!" Whatever. BS it, per usual.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Choose a weakness irrelevant to the job. A good one is "math". But express how you've used it and how you're stronger at it now. Another good one? Current events. "I'm bad with keeping up with the news, but in my last position I made sure to keep up with trends in the industry and so I got more used to watching the news and now I find it interesting to keep up with current events. It's a weakness of mine, non-the-less!" Whatever. BS it, per usual.
If they ask you this question they are not even considering hiring you.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 PM

6 posts, read 8,215 times
LOL that's not true at all. It's a cliche question, but if it's a cliche question then you should be prepared for it and I'd expect you to have a good answer. Some people answer it honestly to a fault, some give valid action items they're working on, and it might sound rehearsed but it's nice to know they at least put an effort into preparing for the interview.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catatone11 View Post
LOL that's not true at all. It's a cliche question, but if it's a cliche question then you should be prepared for it and I'd expect you to have a good answer. Some people answer it honestly to a fault, some give valid action items they're working on, and it might sound rehearsed but it's nice to know they at least put an effort into preparing for the interview.
I think the problem is fracking the question as what is a weakness or an area you want to improve on and shifting the goal posts to it can only be a weakness. Then you have the responses that are canned like I don't have a weakness or I care too much.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:35 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
No job interview is ever the same.

I am an engineer. I have only interviewed 3 times since getting out of the military.

I smiled when meeting the panel, but did not smile the rest of the time.

One interview with an Fortune 500 aerospace firm I ended early when they talked about being on call. High paying Plant engineer position.. not worth it. After that I simply told the interview panel that that was not divulged in the job description and had it been I would not have applied so at this point I am wasting your time, thank you for the opportunity, best of luck.

The second interview was with Boeing.... they have a panel of 3 people asking idiotic canned SOAR questions.
"tell me about a time you had an issue using Dassault CATIA software and what you did to solve and prevent the problem."

"One time I couldn't figure out why a poly wasn't matching up so I deleted everything attached to it and rebuilt that section and then it was fine."

They looked at me like "and...?" I responded "that's it."

Now I have scripted generic statements where it's like. One time when I was supervising a team of X on a project worth X dollars it was behind by X weeks or months because <insert software here> had an issue with <random impressive thing software can do but is rarely used> so I worked on my team to come up with a comprehensive solution and we created a macro that can shave of x hours off of x process during the design phase process. The company implemented use of the macro saving x dollars over x time and the project was completed x days a head of schedule and under budget.

I helped a friend with the interview at Boeing and I guess they ate that up, even tough it was completely fabricated.

The job I work at now, there were some tests and the interview was a comprehensive interview which included me sitting at a computer and modeling and controlling the machines it wasn't scripted we just had a conversation. I was never asked anything idiotic about weaknesses and where I wanted to be in 5 years. At the end of the interview he asked when I could start.

In manufacturing, it's best to bring people to the floor and see how they interact with other people and the machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search