Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:44 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Before a human even gets a stack of resumes, a computer program goes and creates that stack based on the query items the HR person used in their search. If you don't have enough of those in your resume, then yours will never get pulled.

I've done some 'reaching' - applying for positions I had basic qualifications for, but not quite there yet. In those cases I wrote a cover letter wherein I responded to each job requirement with how I was either qualified, or how my current qualifications would enable me to learn this skill/responsibility quickly. The path forward may seem obvious to you from your resume, but not necessarily to someone just glancing over it. And yes - it was successful.
Yep. I've done this too. Getting a job is not as easy as clicking "apply". Do some serious research, OP, on how to best get to the 'interview' stage. Yes, all the BS about networking didn't get me a job. I've found every single one on my own (except my very first, through a temp agency). I started getting a lot more interviews when I really did some serious research on how to get to an interview, what to then say at the interviews, how to wow interviewers, etc, and got an offer soon after that. In fact, I still have one last interview (second round!) to go on, even though I have an offer.

In this day and age, it's like pulling teeth. Don't expect it to be as easy as it was in the past. And don't expect your degree to do all the talking for you. You have to be well versed in your skills and apply it to each and every position you are applying for. This means have a detailed cover letter ready to go, and, for jobs you really want, a thank you (or follow up) letter. They may not help, but they certainly don't hurt.

It's work out there getting a job and getting to the interview stage, especially when unemployed. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 12:55 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Try something on freelance, pay is crap but it lets you build a portfolio which is what you need from the lack of experience side
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search