Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:33 AM

347 posts, read 427,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
I really don't agree with this. If you go into the interview already thinking you won't get the job then there is a good chance you won't because the interviewer will pick up on your attitude and body language of already feeling defeated.

You should always go into every interview as if it is your first and thinking that you will get the job. It will make you come across as self confident and having a good attitude. Sometimes you get the job not because you are the most experienced, but because you are the best all around fit for it.

OP your experience with your interview is not typical in my experience. Most interviewers are well versed enough to not "gush" over an interviewee. They should be friendly but non committal. Then when they are completely done with interviews they can express their preference of who to hire by reviewing their discreet notes they took about each candidate. When I used to interview several years ago (I am self employed now) I always went in well prepared, confident and believing I would get the job and 2 out of 3 times I did.

I know it is not easy, but as I said, try to treat each interview as a completely separate event and keep moving forward with a positive attitude. You will be successful soon. Good luck!
I think all of this depends on the type of person who is interviewing. For some people going into an interview really wanting the job makes them come across as desperate and lacking confidence. Which often is a huge turn off for an employer, and so a potential candidate ruins their chances. So for those people, assuming they won't get the job and this is just a practice interview helps them remain calmer and more focused.

For other people if they don't want the job then they don't do any research and they don't have good answers to any of the interview questions, and then end up not doing very well in the interview.

I think it's difficult to strike the middle ground. Where you appear interested and engaged in the potential position and organization, but you don't seem overly eager and desperate to work for that employer. Which, is easier said than done, especially when you really need a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
I think all of this depends on the type of person who is interviewing. For some people going into an interview really wanting the job makes them come across as desperate and lacking confidence. Which often is a huge turn off for an employer, and so a potential candidate ruins their chances. So for those people, assuming they won't get the job and this is just a practice interview helps them remain calmer and more focused.
I get what you're saying, but what do employers expect when 200 people are all applying to the same job, and maybe 20 make it to the interview stage? You have to come off as a bit overhyped and enthusiastic. I went into one of my interviews all laid back, calm and cool. I thought I aced it. We were laughing, I more than beyond proved my skills and he was cracking jokes with me and we clicked. So when I came out with the question, "What are you looking for in a candidate? What would make them successful in this role?" He paused, looked at my resume, then me, leaned back and said, "I need someone who really wants this. Who really has a deep seated passion for HR." And then he tapped my resume and made a face. I realized I came off as too cool and thus, 'detached'. I never made that mistake again and it landed me an offer.

So I dunno. It's like shooting fish in a barrel with what interviewers really want. Are we too excited? Not excited enough?

Old 02-11-2015, 01:23 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
I've had this often where an employer was impressed by my skills, told me I was exactly what they were looking for and would call me again only to be rejected. They may have been lying but more than likely someone else after me got the job. Maybe the person was more skilled, cheaper than me, or was a relative of someone. That's why I never think much of interviewers that say all of this because most of the time I don't get the job.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Is this some kind of sick joke to employers?

I went on an interview awhile ago and for the first time in my life, I was told, "you're what we were looking for". Also for the first time, my prospective bosses (yes, I was interviewed by three people) all made wonderful comments about my resume, loved the interview, thanked me for e-mailing them afterwards (I do thank you e-mails after a good interview), basically they had nothing but good things to say to me. I was what they were looking for plain and simple, out of all the other applicants, I stood out the most.

This was a job in my field, but in an entirely different position, no experience necessary. They said they'll tell me whether or not I got hired the following week. This was on a Thursday so I doubt I was the last one being interviewed, but up until that point, they all said that they had "not-so-good" applicants.

They didn't e-mail me, by Monday I was worried so I e-mailed them back. Apparently they went with someone else. I understand that a better candidate *with* industry experience probably showed up, but for the life of me I don't understand *why* they will hire that candidate. First of all, this was a part-time entry level job, only 20 hours or so a week. Why would a job that advertises "no experience necessary, we will train you" hire someone that *has* experience? Why would they (the bosses) grill me on whether or not I have industry experience and make it seem like they ARE looking for someone that they don't have to train, when their job ad states otherwise?

And why would the bosses talk me up and down, complimenting me exorbitantly, talking about their company and history, saying that the other candidates were sub-par but I was promising.... and *then* poof! "Oh sorry, we went with someone else... tough luck".

I'll admit, the compliments on my resume and some of my job experiences are new to me. I've never received compliments like that before.....ever. It actually made me feel confident that I "got it in the bag", but I definitely learned my lesson not to get my hopes up anymore. I just wondered what kind of sick, twisted person one has to be, to do something like that to a prospective employee? Even *I* know that is a no-no when it comes to hiring practices (I've been taught by my professors who actually did the hiring at companies like IBM for example, that stringing prospective employees along and snubbing them is a huge professional misstep and can backfire on the company.... that's why companies keep it professional and just state what they (prospective employees) need to know)!

I've had things come up out of my control since that interview so it has slowed down my job hunt, however, I'm back to trying again. I don't know why I am still angry at them but it just really really bothered me. To be perfectly honest, it's not so much that I didn't get the job at that company that made me angry, it's the act of the whole bait and switch that bothers me. And I'm not the only one, I've seen and heard of employers doing so much baiting and switching, even my husband was victim to it. Why do employers do this? Do they get off on doing such a sick, twisted practice?

Nothing they have done is sick and twisted. This is normal business. While the position may have advertised no experience required...... if someone else came along after you with experience, it is in the company's best interest to hire that person. From the business side of things, it saves cost on training and time to spool someone up to be self sufficient. They may have been impressed with your resume at the time.

At the time of the interview, you may have been the best fit. However, that could quickly change and you answered a lot of your own questions. There is a pattern here though. You seem to have a mindset that these companies are all out to do you harm (based on previous threads). My recommendation, is to always go in expecting that you may not get the job. No job is ever set in stone until you receive an official letter and report to work on your first day. You can't read much into what they say because it gets your hopes up. Take what is said with a grain of salt until you get that letter.

Unfortunately you strung yourself along. They told you they were interested at the time, which they probably were, and then found a more suitable option. Don't take it personally as I doubt they get their jollies by making people feel terrible.

Look at it this way. You find that you need a new washing machine. You find one that has basic functions that will get the job done. At the time, you're happy with that one but have a few more to go look at before you make your decision. Then you find one on sale that also has these extra features that while weren't a requirement, make washing your clothes much easier and the cost is barely any more than the base model. Which will you choose?

You may not like the comparison but it is valid.... companies are looking to get the best bang for the buck just like we as consumers do when we purchase things.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Don't put all of your eggs into one basket and don't get too emotionally involved into an interview.
This may be hard to do especially if you've been looking for a long time. I think many of us have had a similar experience. I've had a first round peer coding test where the interviewer said I came up with the best answer he has seen. And yet I didn't get called for the second round. And in your case, they may have been honest. Perhaps you were the best candidate they interviewed so far but someone came after you who impressed them even more. Unless you have insight over the entire field of interviewees, it's impossible to say you are the best candidate.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 AM

17 posts, read 22,266 times
This has happened to me dozens of times--the buttering up, telling me how wonderful my credentials are, etc. I was even hired in one place with a looonnngggg nearly 2 hr commute and fired after 3 weeks with no warning, no nothing. And a few days before the boss had gushed how happy he was that he hired me. People are just totally full of sh*t. That's the truth! Sorry it happened to you.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsklmn View Post
This has happened to me dozens of times--the buttering up, telling me how wonderful my credentials are, etc. I was even hired in one place with a looonnngggg nearly 2 hr commute and fired after 3 weeks with no warning, no nothing. And a few days before the boss had gushed how happy he was that he hired me. People are just totally full of sh*t. That's the truth! Sorry it happened to you.

Re-read what you said.....

Dozens of times people like your interviews and hire you. Then they find out something about you that they didn't like and you get the axe.

That tells me a few things:

1. Your resume' wasn't truthful and you got caught when hired
2. You could be difficult to deal with
3. You didn't live up to the expectations you set in the interview.

Don't blame this on all employers. If it's one or two that's one thing, but if you're having issues with dozens of employers I think you may be looking to the wrong place for some answers.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Happens to the best of us.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:11 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
what do you think about prospective employees who don't even bother to tailor their resumes or cover letters for the specific position?

Old 02-13-2015, 11:16 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
what do you think about prospective employees who don't even bother to tailor their resumes or cover letters for the specific position?

That isn't what this thread is about. That is a totally different topic and one which should be in it's own thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search