Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 12:24 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times

Advertisements

I recently read an article online about things one shouldn't do whenever a company is footing the bill for travel expenses (in regards to things like traveling for job interview).

Some of the things mentioned include extraneous items on the bill such as extra hotel charges (movies, food, etc.). The reason being, regardless if you pay or not for those extraneous items, it doesn't give a good impression to those at the company if they see those items on the bill.

The reason why I mention this is because of a job interview I had 4 years ago. It was a job on the Maryland east coast (I was living in California). A good friend of mine's was working at the company as a manager, and thought it would be a good opportunity for me. This guy is well liked at the company, so as a reference he was as golden as it gets.

The company paid for all my travel expenses, the plane flight as well as taxi to the job site. I thought I did pretty well for the interview panels, and one person even mentioned that since I was referred by my friend, that was good enough for him. Overall, I thought I did good, and would be getting a job offer.

Well, after one week, then 2 weeks, I heard nothing. After 3 weeks, I wrote it off, and assumed they were no longer interested. I wasn't that upset because deep inside I really didn't want to move to the east coast. It was more that I was tired of where I was working at than anything. But I was curious because solid references, especially one that's working with the company you're applying for, are valuable. I never did ask my friend why I never got an offer, and just let it go at that.

Anyways, after reading that article, I thought back and I did upgrade the flight to first class seats both to and from the east coast. I upgraded at my cost using my credit card, but it might have shown up on their end as an upgrade. I'm not saying that's the reason why, but might have been one factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:31 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I doubt if that had anything to do with it. In my experience, the people making the hiring decisions don't even see those bills.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
What Joe said.

And I think it just has more to do with the impression you're making. Using an extreme example, let's say you were expensing it later, and you were submitting your CC statement for the airfare, having a dinner charge at Hooter's or an adult PPV on your statement may not be desirable.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:13 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
If the company didn't pay for the upgrade, I highly doubt that was a factor. If you had put a ton of stuff on your hotel room and billed the company, well that is an entire other story.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
You are thinking way too much into this. Most companies only care what you do with their money. It was four years ago and probably had nothing to do with your first class upgrade that you paid for.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:56 AM

388 posts, read 536,026 times
I pretty much concur with the replies

If you paid for it... not an issue
If you racked up charges on the company card, then it's an issue

Old 02-13-2015, 07:59 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Ok thanks, just wondering. Not trying to make think too much into it, but was just curious after reading that article.

It could very well have been I just put off some of the interviewees though I thought I did really good.

I never did ask my friend what the reason was because I didn't care really, and didn't want to put him on the spot.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
They did all that and you never got any kind of response from the company or friend? I think that seems realllly weird they would do all that and not even follow up, even with a rejection.

When I travel for work I obviously put travel related expenses on there, not leisure, I.e. Movies lol. I put about 50% of my meals on there because I eat very well, and when you can't cook it is not cheap. If I was getting $5 meals I'd put them all on there, but not all of my $15 meals. I also check a bag on my company card which I would not normally do as well.

My uncle is a vp at a big company and we put over $2000 in one night at a strip club on his work credit card. I'm pretty sure he paid it back though haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search