Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 PM

405 posts, read 569,086 times

Advertisements

I had an interview on Monday, Tuesday they called and left a voicemail to see if I could come back on Wednesday or Thursday for the second round to meet with the Director of Operations. I thought this was ridiculous as it was only one person and to come back on such short notice wasn't ideal. So I was going to call back the next day (Wednesday) on my lunch and tell them I like to inform my employer a week in advance when I take days off. So HR called again this morning (Wednesday), left a voicemail, and then sent an email stating they would like to add me to the team. I was confused so I called them, they made me an offer and sent over the letter.

This is confusing because:

1. When I interviewed with my potential boss he stated he was still interviewing candidates so to have an offer a few days later doesn't make sense if they were still interviewing.
2. They just decided to cancel the interview with the DO?

I did tell HR that I was interviewing with 4 other companies in the interview and he explained the team felt I was what they were looking for, didn't want to get in a bidding war and made an aggressive offer well over my current salary, but still I never heard of canceling the second round, and what happened to the other interviews?

Last edited by sonyab523; 02-18-2015 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,052,085 times
I've also had interviews skipped. It happens all the time to make things fit peoples' schedules; knowing when to buck the established procedure is part of a good HR manager's job. I didn't actually get those jobs, but it's normal.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:45 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,269,693 times
It happens. The Director probably was tied up, and said, "Go ahead and make the offer. I trust your opinions.". It's actually a good sign of a manager that's willing to let his underlings make decisions and not feel the need to micro-manage them.

Congratulations!

Old 02-18-2015, 05:24 PM

148 posts, read 407,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I had an interview on Monday, Tuesday they called and left a voicemail to see if I could come back on Wednesday or Thursday for the second round to meet with the Director of Operations. I thought this was ridiculous as it was only one person and to come back on such short notice wasn't ideal. So I was going to call back the next day (Wednesday) on my lunch and tell them I like to inform my employer a week in advance when I take days off. So HR called again this morning (Wednesday), left a voicemail, and then sent an email stating they would like to add me to the team. I was confused so I called them, they made me an offer and sent over the letter.

This is confusing because:

1. When I interviewed with my potential boss he stated he was still interviewing candidates so to have an offer a few days later doesn't make sense if they were still interviewing.
2. They just decided to cancel the interview with the DO?

I did tell HR that I was interviewing with 4 other companies in the interview and he explained the team felt I was what they were looking for, didn't want to get in a bidding war and made an aggressive offer well over my current salary, but still I never heard of canceling the second round, and what happened to the other interviews?
First Congratulations.
Secondly, it may be that someone else on the team left and they need more help sooner than expected. Do your research on the company. Find out how stable they are and look at reviews on Glassdoor, Indeed, etc. to see what current and former employers have to say about the company and their interview experiences.

When do you have to give your answer?

Old 02-18-2015, 06:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,455,039 times
I don't get why this is confusing. You interviewed with them on Monday and they said they had more interviews to do. They probably had them scheduled throughout Monday and Tuesday and decided you were the one they wanted to hire. And it's not uncommon for someone higher up to get so bogged down that they must bow out of the process.

Kind of shaking my head that when people don't get an offer they're perplexed and when they do get one they're perplexed.

Congratulations at any rate.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myDeliverance View Post
First Congratulations.
Secondly, it may be that someone else on the team left and they need more help sooner than expected. Do your research on the company. Find out how stable they are and look at reviews on Glassdoor, Indeed, etc. to see what current and former employers have to say about the company and their interview experiences.

When do you have to give your answer?

The person moved into a different department, they are still there so there wouldn't me be any reason to cancel the other interview and rush me through other than the fact that I told them I was actively interviewing but still. Unfortunately there is no information on Glassdoor other than an interview review for an internship. I do know my potential boss has been there for 15 years and it did seem like the company was making changes for the better and growing from what HR told me. But the "We are super excited and anxious to have you join" attitude is a bit alarming when combined with the canceling of other interviewees and skipping rounds. I told them I would let them know by the end of next week as I have an interview next week and want to see how that goes before making a decision.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't get why this is confusing. You interviewed with them on Monday and they said they had more interviews to do. They probably had them scheduled throughout Monday and Tuesday and decided you were the one they wanted to hire. And it's not uncommon for someone higher up to get so bogged down that they must bow out of the process.

Kind of shaking my head that when people don't get an offer they're perplexed and when they do get one they're perplexed.

Congratulations at any rate.
I interviewed at the end of the day on Monday and they called Tuesday morning for the second round. So this would mean they interviewed the last group of candidates on Tuesday, and no one would have made it to the second round or they decided against moving forward if I got an offer Wednesday morning which is causing the concern.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:49 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,533,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I interviewed at the end of the day on Monday and they called Tuesday morning for the second round. So this would mean they interviewed the last group of candidates on Tuesday, and no one would have made it to the second round or they decided against moving forward if I got an offer Wednesday morning which is causing the concern.
Still not getting the concern. Should be all elation, I would think. Don't overthink.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:11 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,020,768 times
It's alarming that they want to hire you?? You obviously made a great impression and they want to hire you before someone else does. if you aren't interested, then say no, but if you want the job, then it's a great opportunity to join a company that is so interested in hiring you.

But negotiate for more money than they offered, even if it's well above your current salary. Most women don't negotiate and leave money on the table. Don't go crazy but they probably have enough room for one more counter beyond their initial offer.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:57 PM

587 posts, read 910,837 times
I don't think this is that unusual. If you make such a good first impression that they know they want to hire you, it's natural that they would cancel the rest of the interviews.

The downside is that it gives you less opportunity to scope the place out and decide whether or not it's a good fit for you. Do you think that's why you're a bit hesitant about this? Do you know whether or not you really want to be there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search