Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:46 PM

154 posts, read 261,460 times

Advertisements

So I interviewed for a role a week ago and the company asked for my references before the final in person interview. Thank God I've been able to secure good solid references from a volunteer assignment but it seems like employers are only interested in speaking to my former hiring managers. I hated them and they hated me which is why I would not list them as a reference but applications ask for managers name. To not lie I put down my former managers name. I'm wondering why after two rounds of phone interviews and a great in person interview has this company not called my references? I sent the hiring managers a good follow up thank you email and they responded and asked me for a follow up lunch. while I gave a list of references before the final interview I sent the application by PDF after they asked for lunch. Why ask for my references if they're not going to call. I tempted to ask them what's going on before I met them for lunch which is a hour drive away. This llunch was not part of the original plan. If they've gotten my former hiring managers opinion I feel like I'm going to be wasting time and gas which can be saved for the next opportunity. Should I ask or follow up about the lunch (i.s. - Just wanted to make sure you were able to speak to my references and still want to meet for lunch) I don't want to waste gas time or money to meet for lunch if I'm not going to be offered this job. I can't take to many more interview processes that end up being a waste due to my former employers Blackballing antics. #PrayForMe

Last edited by FlowerBlossom2015; 02-17-2015 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 08:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We check references only after making a selection and when ready to make an offer, as the last step. We do not call them for the others, but all are required to give the names/numbers so we have them when/if needed. That's not to y you haven't gotten the job, it my just be that they haven't gotten to it yet. Things happen, people call in sick, or have something urgent come up.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:17 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I can't imagine canceling a lunch with a prospective employer because they haven't checked references. They're not going to waste their time meeting you for lunch if they aren't considering you. Seriously, you don't have time or gas to waste on a job interview? Sounds like you're not serious about the job, and that's what you'll clearly convey if you contact them to say you won't meet with them until they check your references.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:33 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
What Capschick said. And not saying this will be the case, but if I was going to suggest a lunch with a prospective employee, I would pay for it. So you're likely going to be getting a free lunch. Even if that wasn't the case, look at it as a business cost to you.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:37 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Many companies don't bother checking references, even if they ask for them. I have gotten two jobs where my references weren't called.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Many companies don't bother checking references, even if they ask for them. I have gotten two jobs where my references weren't called.
I'm hoping this is the case. I hope there not leading me on. I know my former managers are badmouthing me to anyone who'll listen so I hope they haven't gotten to this company too as I really want this job.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Some companies ask for them just to know the option exists to contact them. If someone can't provide any references it would be a bit of a red flag.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 PM

My intuition was right. I just got an email from the company that they're cancelling the scheduled lunch. She voluntarily mentioned that they're still checking references etc. I don't believe her as my references have all stated that they have yet to be contacted at all. Plus it only takes twenty minutes or so to pull a criminal record/ background credit check. I feel like I've been blackballed for life and will never find another job.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:30 PM

405 posts, read 572,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
My intuition was right. I just got an email from the company that they're cancelling the scheduled lunch. She voluntarily mentioned that they're still checking references etc. I don't believe her as my references have all stated that they have yet to be contacted at all. Plus it only takes twenty minutes or so to pull a criminal record/ background credit check. I feel like I've been blackballed for life and will never find another job.
Wait so you gave them references of people who don't like you?

Old 02-19-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
Wait so you gave them references of people who don't like you?
No I gave them references of people I do like and vice versa. But I had to list my former managers names on the applications. I did. So I'm sure the former managers have bad mouthed me. Unfortunately the reference section and employment history section are both on the application
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search