Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 09:32 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
Are you sure it not just 2 people with the same name?
The sexual offenders database has descriptions (physical, racial) , home addresses, etc of the people, so the OP probably made sure. Has no one ever looked at this database?

Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
The OP is talking about a hiring manager, whom decides who to interview, screens people, conducts interviews and reference checks, etc... also being a sexual offender whom managed to get such a prestigious title in a multinational corporation. This might be because the OP thought people with convictions could not get positions like this, or wonders what background checks really pull up, etc.

No one said sexual offenders can't work ever again or be a part of society ever again or live their life ever again. I love all the assumptions that are going on, though. Says a lot about those who are assuming.
He's probably a good worker and good manager and that's probably why he is in that position.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
That's why I italicized the fair bit. Fairness seems to be based on personal expectations, so you can't really judge what's fair and what's not.

Edit: Also, as an employee if I learned this, I am entitled to feel iffy about our company hiring a sexual offender.

You're the one who called it unfair, but here you're doing doublespeak.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You're the one who called it unfair, but here you're doing doublespeak.
Doublespeak? I did call it unfair, and I used italics to show my sarcasm. I was talking about italicizing that part and then I proceeded to explain.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,713 times
I'm sure because offender website has profile pictures.

I was just surprised because i didn't know that offenders can be promoted all the way to management. I have an officemate who had a really difficult time getting a job because of dui. Companies do background and criminal check before you get hired.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:11 PM

672 posts, read 810,957 times
Besides what others have mentioned there are a few other things to consider.

One would be where the company is located. Not all states are equal on discriminating on convictions.

Example would be, If you were convicted of a felony in the state of Washington the background check can only go back 7 years for employment by law.

You can't ask if the potential employee was ever convicted of a crime.

In many states you are allowed to ask if they have been ever convicted. In some, there is a statue of limitation on asking that question.

Some companies also have internal polices where they limit themselves. Even in states that don't have a cap many employers hire outside companies that cap their look back at court records at 10 or 20 years. Anything older doesn't get reported back to the employer.

So you could have found someone with the same name, something like what I described above or a company who made the decision to hire him anyway with full disclosure.

Quote:
How could this guy be a manager of a multinational corporation considering he has a criminal conviction.
As others have stated a criminal conviction doesn't bar anyone from being hired in a
Quote:
white collar, 6-figure job

Old 02-21-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Besides what others have mentioned there are a few other things to consider.

One would be where the company is located. Not all states are equal on discriminating on convictions.

Example would be, If you were convicted of a felony in the state of Washington the background check can only go back 7 years for employment by law.

You can't ask if the potential employee was ever convicted of a crime.

In many states you are allowed to ask if they have been ever convicted. In some, there is a statue of limitation on asking that question.

Some companies also have internal polices where they limit themselves. Even in states that don't have a cap many employers hire outside companies that cap their look back at court records at 10 or 20 years. Anything older doesn't get reported back to the employer.

So you could have found someone with the same name, something like what I described above or a company who made the decision to hire him anyway with full disclosure.

As others have stated a criminal conviction doesn't bar anyone from being hired in a
It doesn't?

Old 02-21-2015, 10:19 PM

170 posts, read 235,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
I'm sure because offender website has profile pictures.

I was just surprised because i didn't know that offenders can be promoted all the way to management. I have an officemate who had a really difficult time getting a job because of dui. Companies do background and criminal check before you get hired.
It depends on the company. Most places can and do discriminate against those who have a criminal record, no matter how old that record is. It doesn't mean that this discrimination is ok. It's often very counter productive.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Sorry, but eeewwww

Old 02-21-2015, 10:32 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sorry, but eeewwww
I guess it's better I found out after. I might have acted weird during the interview and he might have sensed it. I could have hesitated shaking his hands also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search