Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 04:45 PM

154 posts, read 261,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarr72285 View Post
The assistant controller had no problem giving me her card. The senior accountant didn't have a card and the corporate recruiter said she wasn't sure if she wanted her email shared but I could send the email to her and she'd forward it. She also said they'd probably have an answer in the next week or 2. If I were out of the running, she probably would have said so. Since I was early in the process, I thought it would be good to send a follow up so they don't forget me if they saw a couple of candidates since they saw me.
You're trying to legitimize horrible behavior. You only wanted to send a thank you note to her professional email address. It should not have been an issue. The fact that it was is a huge red flag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 PM

38 posts, read 42,610 times
All the recruiter said was she wasn't sure the senior accountant was sharing her email address with anyone during the process, but she would be happy to forward the email to her. If I were out of the running, I probably would have gotten an email saying so like the first person did. Or the recruiter wouldn't have responded to my email. The assistant controller had no problem giving me her card.

Last edited by MCarr72285; 02-24-2015 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 PM

154 posts, read 261,433 times
Quote:
All the recruiter said was she wasn't sure the senior accountant was sharing her email address with anyone during the process, but she would be happy to forward the email to her. If I were out of the running, I probably would have gotten an email saying so like the first person did. Or the recruiter wouldn't have responded to my email. The assistant controller had no problem giving me her card.
The first person was a he double hockey sticks no. You're a maybe. Wish you luck but when we want something we all try to make sense of things that are obvious red flags to others. I do it too...

Last edited by FlowerBlossom2015; 02-24-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 05:41 PM

Anyway, I won't follow up with the hiring manager. I would probably just annoy her. Whatever happens happens.

Last edited by MCarr72285; 02-24-2015 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
The follow up you should do is a thank you note and a thank you note only. Being you said the interview was on Wednesday, your thank you note should have been sent whether electronically or physically by now.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The follow up you should do is a thank you note and a thank you note only. Being you said the interview was on Wednesday, your thank you note should have been sent whether electronically or physically by now.

It was. I sent the assistant controller a thank you note Wednesday night and I also asked the corporate recruiter for the senior accountant's email address so I could send her a thank you. She didn't respond until Friday and said she didn't know if the senior accountant wanted her email address shared during the process but I could send her the letter and she'd be happy to forward it to her, which I did.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 AM

One thing I always worry about is if I interview at early in their process, no matter how well I do, by the time they finish the process, they have interviewed several candidates since me, I am not as fresh in their minds,

Old 02-25-2015, 09:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,622,262 times
Quote:
OK. I won't follow up then. Were any of the questions I asked bad questions? I thought it was good to ask if there were any concerns.
I don't think it is a good idea to ask a broad question like you did with "do you have any concerns?". If they have concerns about something let them bring it up, than you address it. But don't put that out there unless they do first.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:52 PM

Seain, Those weren't the only questions I asked. I also asked questions like, "What is the biggest challenge you've ever faced in this department," "What are the most important qualities to doing well in this position and at this company," "what is a typical day like in this department, if there is such a thing," "how is the finance department structured," "are you open to hearing new ideas on how to do things more efficiently or how to improve the process." She seemed to really like that question. She said that's exactly what she wants. I didn't ask any questions about salary or benefits or overtime. I know that is a no-no. I know about what the position pays because the corporate recruiter told me in the initial phone interview. Maybe going forward I shouldn't ask that question about how I compare to other people being considered. I thought it was good to ask if she had any concerns because it's better to address any concerns than not address them and leave and the hiring manager decides it's not going to work out. She said her only concern was I had a lot more experience than most of the other people in the department and was afraid they'd be worried if someone with more experience came on board. She quickly added that was a very small concern. I also asked if she thought I would fit in there chemistry wise. I said the skill set is one thing. The chemistry has to be there too. She said it's a pretty laid back group and it's hard not to fit in there.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,587 times
If her self-imposed deadline was this Friday, I wouldn't email her before then. But nothing wrong with following up next week. These people saying you'll look desperate are foolish. Companies like candidates who show initiative. During my last job search I followed up with the CEO a couple weeks after my last interview with them. They were dealing with legal issues of letting the person they were replacing go but it was taking awhile. I wanted to let them know I was still very interested because I was actively interviewing elsewhere. It couldn't have had too much of a negative effect because I got the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search