Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 09:54 AM

917 posts, read 1,383,860 times

Advertisements

I have been applying for various jobs in another city & I have already received quite a few requests for interviews. Most of them want it that same day or the next day. Which I cant always do.

I recently made the drive for a job. I had a phone interview and it went well. They told me they offer great benefits and good pay as well. They told me the company pays for my benefits. It sounded promising so I made the drive out there because I felt confident after the phone interview.

I drove out there and my GPS messed up so I got lost and ended up getting there about 20 minutes late. They understood since I was new to the city and they were fine with it. Well my interview was almost 1 hr and a half long. Me and the woman who also did the phone interview had a great conversation. Then she mentioned the pay… It was about 75 cents more than the minimum here in Texas. (8.00 an hr). That alone was a no to me. I cant survive on that with rent, car payment, insurance etc. She said, I know it sounds low but after 2 yrs we’ll move you to 12.00 an hr. I already make more than that at my current job. Anyways, interview was over and she said they still had a few more interviews and she’d be in touch.

Well a few days passed and I heard nothing. Then I got an email that they wanted me to come in because they were interested in hiring me. She also asked if I had already moved to that city (which I haven’t since I don’t want to move without a guaranteed job and I told her this during the interview)

I have a cover letter which states that I have plans on moving and I am seeking employment. Is it odd to request interviews via Skype (do companies even do this?) Im thinking maybe I should just move and look for a job when I get to my new city. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Well here is some advice, don't rely on GPS.

Go online at least the day before and get directions via a site like Yahoo Directions, print it out, and have it next to you in the car.

Being unfamiliar with an area so you're late isn't a valid excuse, it shows a lack of planning on your part.

And when you find out the salary and it is too low and there is no chance of it going high enough for you to live on, than just tell them no thank you.

I wouldn't mention in a cover letter that you would rather Skype, get the interview first and see if they're willing to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search