Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 07:51 AM

312 posts, read 481,501 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I would. Because I would go into the interview anxious, restless and irritable if I didnt. I would take a mint or something so I didnt offend his senses if they were a non smoker. I don't see a reason to lie, firstly it's a completely legal habit and it's not like my Pall Mall unfiltereds are going to intoxicate me like a beer or a joint..If I'm spending 40 hours a week at the office they are going to find out when I leave the office 40 times a week for 5 minutes. If they don't want to work with a smoker I would rather get it out of the way early, don't see why it's part of a pee test, because it's not like you can get high, never heard someone say not to operate machinery under influence of nicotine.

Yes, I've tried e-cigs, yes I know it is not healthy. We all have to die from something, and everyone in my family dies of cancer anyways..smoking or not. I've been smoking for 17 years, 1 to 2 packs a day. I'm 30 in a week. Yes my parents allowed me to smoke at home, not the best choice but it is what it is. If my kids were gonna do it anyways I would allow it, they will be exposed regardless as my home and car are both smoked in by me, my fiancé as well and my brother and his gf who live in the basement apartment...I dislike having to put on shoes every 15 minutes and go outside so I smoke inside.

The good thing is, I haven't had to go for an interview in years, I work for myself

Old 03-02-2015, 01:02 PM

659 posts, read 940,220 times
What if you smell like smoke and it's in your clothes BUT you don't smoke, someone that lives with you does?

Back in NYC, my parents were heavy smokers, they smoked indoors in the living room. Sometimes the windows would be open must most times, there'd be a mini-fog in the living room. They also smoked in the car but usually have the windows open, still, it didn't matter because the smell of smoke and the ashes caked the car's roof and I always got carsick and had to vomit when it came to long trips.

My brother had asthma, but I didn't. Years later I realized that my brother and I were heavily exposed to second hand smoke. My parents since quit smoking about 11 years ago. My mother quit first, then my step-dad, the only one that didn't quit is my grandma but she smokes a lot less (2-3 cigs a day). My brother still has asthma but it's not as bad, he stopped needing the inhaler. I no longer get car sick, and despite my parents gaining weight since they quit smoking, they look so much healthier. Best of all, no one stunk (my grandma smokes outside), the smoke smell was gone.

The reason why I said this story is because even non-smokers can smell like they are a heavy smoker. What if the person is telling the truth that they do not smoke, but sadly live with a room-mate or partner that smokes heavily? One cannot always assume that just because you smell like a smoker, you are a smoker.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:46 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Thread temporarily closed for review and cleanup.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:19 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Play nice...everyone has their vices and if you claim you have no vices that I already know at least one of your vices is pathologically lying....I would take a smoker over a liar anyday of the week.
What 3littlebirdies said: play nice. If you can't do that, then find another playground.

This thread has been cleaned up and off-topic posts, personal attacks and orphaned posts have been deleted. People, the opening post did not ask for a discussion on the evils of smoking. That is a topic better discussed in the Great Debates forum. Since we can't seem to stay on topic here, the thread will remain closed.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search