Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 05:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
No we don't. Castes are only in the Indian culture and caste discrimination is huge in India. Your just not educated on the subject.
Yes it is. I'd started reading the Bhagavad Gita many years ago, and I gave up disgusted. The caste system is related to skin color...so it is Kind of like racism...but it is ingrained in their religion and all parts of their society. Indian people can give a plain vanilla racist lessons about how to really discriminate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 05:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
No we don't. Castes are only in the Indian culture and caste discrimination is huge in India.
Caste systems reach far outside of India. You don't know what you're talking about.

It's not as huge as you think in India when you compare the prevalence of such discrimination to the size of the population. The highly populated metropolitan areas don't recognize castes and are very much westernized (British influence). The North East and South where the British had least reach are more traditional culturally, and with that comes the good and bad (castes).

I had the opportunity to spend several months in India as a member of the Red Cross response team after the Indian Ocean earthquake. The cultures vary state to state just like they do in the United States. Southern states and northern states in India actually mimic what we see in the United States. East and West coast is full of economic oriented, western influenced, educated, liberal people while the South is full of culturally rooted, less productive, agriculture oriented, conservative people. With that comes a discriminatory attitude that rivals our Yankee vs Southerner attitude.

Quote:
Your just not educated on the subject.
Everyone is learning all the time... even you. It's "you're", not "your".

Last edited by NJBest; 03-01-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 05:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yes it is. I'd started reading the Bhagavad Gita many years ago, and I gave up disgusted. The caste system is related to skin color...so it is Kind of like racism...but it is ingrained in their religion and all parts of their society. Indian people can give a plain vanilla racist lessons about how to really discriminate.
It's not ingrained in their religions (the Indian religions are Hinduism and Buddhism). There's a difference between culture and religion.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 PM

34 posts, read 76,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The problem is, once one Indian gets power, the company will soon be full of Indians.

I think sometimes they are forced to help their folks too, because it is their culture. Also, too few Americans work in this field and there is not enough supervision.
I see it on the east coast also, and they are trying to penetrate a number of businesses.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:53 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
No we don't. Castes are only in the Indian culture and caste discrimination is huge in India. Your just not educated on the subject.
White people hire other white people, at the expense of qualified minorities...all the time. Like I said.

You all are the reason we have anti-discrimination laws.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yes, I worked in the Microsoft Research Lab and still consult there sometimes. The people in power are largely white.
No doubt of that, but it's not what I'm talking about. My point is Indian recruiters may discriminate people of other castes or nationalities. If a high ranking Indian does not make decisions about hiring, it is irrelevant.

Do you know in recent years, Indian nationals got more H1b visas than the next four countries (including China) combined? Did that prove something?

Old 03-02-2015, 12:55 AM

817 posts, read 922,556 times
Another thread with PC police trying to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.

I work for a US based tech company and employees in one of our India locations have posted discrimination complaints on our company intranet. Rather than keep trying to divert the thread to stuff that bad white people have done, which we all know is illegal and immoral discrimination, maybe give to OP and others the opportunity to sound off about current day discrimination which is affecting non-whites and females.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:38 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Lower caste lives matter.

Last edited by Fifty Seven; 03-02-2015 at 06:24 AM..

Old 03-02-2015, 05:52 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
Another thread with PC police trying to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.

I work for a US based tech company and employees in one of our India locations have posted discrimination complaints on our company intranet. Rather than keep trying to divert the thread to stuff that bad white people have done, which we all know is illegal and immoral discrimination, maybe give to OP and others the opportunity to sound off about current day discrimination which is affecting non-whites and females.
This is a discussion thread. You all cannot control the direction of the discussion because you don't like what's being mentioned. Want to know how to squash conversations you don't like? Ignore them.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:52 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Not to mention candidates of other nationalities. Can anyone do something about it?
---

If you take a count of the total people hired in US in IT, you will find that 90 to 95% of them are from Andhra Pradesh in India. I have worked for several companies in the bay area and other states and inspite of my experience and skills was always threatened by a incapable Telugu manager, Lead or candidate who only wanted to hire people of his caste. As if this was not enough, most of the Indian recruiting companies in the Bay Area are run by Telugu people who prefer to hire people from their region/caste and also work hand in hand with hiring managers to give a commission off the rates they make. This is very well known and widely practiced in companies such as CISCO and many others in the bay area. There are instances when my recruiting company told me that my resume didnt stand a chance, because the other recruting company that was working with this client was bribing managers to get their folks in. The result you see is incompetent inexperienced people who get hired for low rates, the cuts off salary goes to the recruiting company and hiring manager. No guessing how this has affected the IT job market. Really surprising this crap has been going on for the last 10 years or so and nothing has been done about it.

Is there any bias among Indians of hiring other Indian workers in the IT industry? - Quora
The reason majority of IT workers are telugu is because of the number of engineering colleges in the state. It used to be very difficult to get a seat in engineering & I had to give eamcet (entrance exam for medical, engineering) twice to get into engineering. But in the late 90s, after they started building the hi-tech city, the state started to give license to thousands of engineering schools. You didn't even have to qualify eamcet to get into engineering, resulting in poor quality engineers. Eventually that spilled over to usa with ratio of engineers from AP vs. rest of India to be extremely high. They have a big network of friends & family in usa who help them with their job so its difficult for a person from another state to be accepted in that network. I do know some north Indians who were placed by telugu consultants in high paying IT jobs. I wont be surprised if there is discrimination involved. The whole consultant route is a fraud practice so don't expect them to be honest & fair. They are criminals who are adding fake experience on the resumes & cheating americans out of their jobs so discrimination based on caste is a very minor offense for them. Complain to the cops, immigration, labor dept for unfair practices & end their criminal activities in usa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search