Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 10:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The caste system doesn't work here simply because we allow smart people to move up and let incompetent people fall down as opposed to a system that employs everyone but keeps them in a predetermined bracket with no opportunity to move up (or down).
Occasionally.

Quote:
The good thing is that the majority of Indians from metropolitan areas (the vast majority of those in the U.S. are of this type), don't care for the caste system. Yes, with every culture that enters this nation, they bring the good and the bad. As long as they keep the bad to a minimum, it's fine. If this caste thing were to really get out of hand, that would be one thing. But since that's not the case, there's no need to harp on it.
I am not harping on anything. However, I have seen how the culture(s) of India have clashed with the U.S. culture on the job. For just one example, I remember seeing an Indian woman refusing to do work that was part of her job description "becuase I am a Brahmin and my husband would not accept me sweeping a floor." To say the least, that caused a lot of problems on the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 10:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Occasionally.

I am not harping on anything. However, I have seen how the culture(s) of India have clashed with the U.S. culture on the job. For just one example, I remember seeing an Indian woman refusing to do work that was part of her job description "becuase I am a Brahmin and my husband would not accept me sweeping a floor." To say that least, that caused a lot of problems on the site.
And for that she deserves to be fired. She'll learn real quick. Anyways, this is too rare to worry about.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Occasionally.

I am not harping on anything. However, I have seen how the culture(s) of India have clashed with the U.S. culture on the job. For just one example, I remember seeing an Indian woman refusing to do work that was part of her job description "becuase I am a Brahmin and my husband would not accept me sweeping a floor." To say the least, that caused a lot of problems on the site.
I'd have asked her how her husband feels about her being unemployed.

I'd have fired her on the spot. You can't fix stupid.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Most of those nations were part of India. The term is older than the GB division. It simply means "of our nationality" in Hindi (derived from Sanskrit). Sure, Russians can use the term to refer to others as people of Russian descent... but 99.9% of people who speak Hindi are in India.
I understand that, but people are asking how the word is used now in the US by Desis, not about the historical context of the word. That's all I was trying to explain to them.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:36 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
I like to cook Italian, Mexican, American, and Indian foods so we sometimes shop at an Indian grocery store in Cupertino for things I can't get at Safeway. One summer day was very hot and my water bottle was empty so I started to drink from their water faucet, I did not have more then a sip when a large male worker in a turban came over and started to yell at me, but not in English. He then moved a large rack in front of the water faucet to prevent me from using it. I have to watch the cashiers at this store also as many times I have caught them overcharging me and then yelling when I call them out on it. I have not observed that kind of behavior towards the Indians shopping there so it might be discrimination in more than the workplace. We do not shop there very often because of their childish behavior.

Today, I read an article about the Indian rapist who killed the woman on the bus in India, now claiming she was at fault. Yes, women here and in India are discriminated against at work and home. It will only continue until employers and male family member stand up for women, however, as BigD said in the above post, you can't fix stupid.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I like to cook Italian, Mexican, American, and Indian foods so we sometimes shop at an Indian grocery store in Cupertino for things I can't get at Safeway. One summer day was very hot and my water bottle was empty so I started to drink from their water faucet, I did not have more then a sip when a large male worker in a turban came over and started to yell at me, but not in English. He then moved a large rack in front of the water faucet to prevent me from using it. I have to watch the cashiers at this store also as many times I have caught them overcharging me and then yelling when I call them out on it. I have not observed that kind of behavior towards the Indians shopping there so it might be discrimination in more than the workplace. We do not shop there very often because of their childish behavior.

Today, I read an article about the Indian rapist who killed the woman on the bus in India, now claiming she was at fault. Yes, women here and in India are discriminated against at work and home. It will only continue until employers and male family member stand up for women, however, as BigD said in the above post, you can't fix stupid.
There's an Indian market close to my house and I won't go there anymore; they were rude to me too, and regularly overcharged me then got pissy and huffy when I pointed it out.

The final straw was when I went into the store and found not only veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery expired food on the shelves, but evidence of a rodent infestation (droppings and chewed boxes/bags of food). I turned around, walked out, and dropped a dime to the city on them. I tell everyone in my neighborhood about it and now that that shopping center is "buzzing" and revitalizing, I'm hoping that turd of a market will move elsewhere.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:45 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's an Indian market close to my house and I won't go there anymore; they were rude to me too, and regularly overcharged me then got pissy and huffy when I pointed it out.

The final straw was when I went into the store and found not only veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery expired food on the shelves, but evidence of a rodent infestation (droppings and chewed boxes/bags of food). I turned around, walked out, and dropped a dime to the city on them. I tell everyone in my neighborhood about it and now that that shopping center is "buzzing" and revitalizing, I'm hoping that turd of a market will move elsewhere.
You should watch out for the gas stations too (not pertaining to Indians here).

The owner of a gas station near my previous home was arrested because he overcharged every customer a small amount of money. He had kept doing that for years.

Another gas station near my work place had a dubious meter. Every time I went there the meter showed I pumped 15+ gallons, while in other places 15 is pretty much the maximum. I stopped going there after a while and then their manager was replaced later. Not sure whether they were caught or not.

Last edited by Bettafish; 03-03-2015 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
You should watch out for the gas stations too (not pertaining to Indians here).

The owner of a gas station near my previous home was arrested because he overcharged every customer a small amount of money. He had kept doing that for years.

Another gas station near my work place had a dubious meter. Every time I went there the meter showed I pumped 15+ gallons, while in other places 15 is pretty much the maximum. I stopped going there after a while and then their manager was replaced later. Not sure whether they were caught or not.
I reported a gas station here for overcharging, but the State of Texas "investigated" and "found no evidence of wrongdoing." Heh.

Bet your azz I never go to that station anymore. And I told EVERYONE.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
There is much to be said, plenty I would like to but can't, so think before you vote as Americans can't afford to have our jobs sent to India/China or have them come here to displace good Americans.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:45 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's still the olden days. I'm in a hostile work environment right now, but that sort of thing is very difficult to prove.
Sorry to hear that. Hope something changes for the better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search