Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 PM

421 posts, read 3,223,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
"telling me that the prospective company cancelled and that they're no longer hiring."

This DOES happen, the budgets change so quickly when the economy or the stockprice of the companies goes in the tank. Seriously. At some points in my old company, we could not even order office supplies in the month of December it was that tight and they had to make their numbers.
Yes it absolutely happens. There are tons of reasons. For example..another agency fills the job.... The client doesnt like any of the resumes and pulls the job.... they fill it internally....they get an old employee to come pack P/T. they never intended to hire but were just fishing to see whats out there....

Something candidates have to keep in mind is that its a real turn off for a recruiter to be treated with suspicion Bby the candidate. Remember they want to place you in the job so they can get paid! Generally they don't care if they place you or candidate #2 UNLESS you are so nice and so wonderful that they want to tell the client that you are really nice and wonderful! So the lesson is BE NICE AND WONDERFUL!

Also, although no one wants to consider that this may be true of them, cnsider that you may not be 100% perfect! Often times the recruiter doesn't feel comfortable telling a client that they have a bad attitude or bad breath or bad manners or a million other things! so MAKE SURE YOU ARE PUTTING YOUR BEST FOOT FORWARD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I have my current job through an agency. Overall they have been great at paying me even though I make about $5 an hour less than this job should pay. Lately, though, the job has been harder and harder (it's busy season) and the agency has dropped the ball (paying me later and later in the week). Today I found out my check bounced! I have been working 2 weeks for nothing. It's hard enough to be underpaid but not to get paid is very sobering.

I do need to get a new (real) job where I am actually an employee not a temp.

Oh, wait, I guess I have to be a screw up to do that...(most hires are screw ups or goof offs).

No, it was not a good day to be part of this agency today.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:46 AM

77 posts, read 385,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
What do you think of employment agencies and do they really care about you. I have gotten all my jobs from direct ads employers put in the web or newspaper. Agencies send out on one or two interviews and you never hear from them again. I wonder if the ads you see by employment agencies really exist.
It seems that most temporary agencies want you to contact them every week to let them know you are still looking for work otherwise they are going to feel that you already found a job. Call every Monday morning to allow them to know you are still interested in finding a job.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:20 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Thanks, Boof. When people respond to our ads, we tell them that we don't guarantee employment, however, their investment of time visiting our office may lead them to finding work through our service. If they are only interested in the specific job mentioned in the ad, we tell them either A) the job is still available or B) we've already submitted resumes for that job, however, the jobs we have available day to day change and that we're continuously getting new jobs in. If they want to be considered for future opportunities, they have to come to our office to interview and register with us. But we never guarantee them anything - we can't. What we pay them is based on what the client is willing to pay us. We pay the temps and then bill the client more. The difference between the pay and bill rate covers our unemployment insurance costs, the cost that we spend running ads and interviewing candidates and of course, some profit to stay in business. Believe me, we try to get clients to pay more and often can talk them into it, but many times, they stick to their pay rate and we can't convince them otherwise. We ask them what they pay their own employees hourly for the job and then work from there. The downside to our business is that many job seekers prove themselves to be highly unreliable and they make us look really bad. Being in sales, I can't tell you how many clients I've lost due to 1 or 2 "bad" temps. This is really frustrating for me because it can takes months and months of phone calls and appointments to get a client to use our service only to have a couple "bad apples" ruin everything and thus, make my paycheck smaller. The upside to our business is that we've helped countless people find good jobs. We receive thank you letters and gifts from people all of the time. I've had people call me to thank me for finding them a job that has helped them make ends meet and support themselves and their children. I've had people cry with joy - literally. It's these temporary employees that make the job so worth it. The main thing to remember is that we're in business to find people work. Our job is to seek out jobs and to seek out people for those jobs. Sometimes what happens is that we send someone to an interview and then we don't hear back from the client. So the temporary employee looks at us negatively because we haven't gotten back to them with feedback. In the meantime, we're calling and calling the client to try to find out whether or not they want to hire our candidate. It's a natural knee jerk reaction for the candidate to be frustrated with us - but in actuality, we're as frustrated as you. We want you to get that job as badly as you want it. The client is the one with the power in this scenario. Sometimes we have people interview and the client calls us 1 month later - saying we want to move forward and hire Boof. And we tell them, Boof is no longer available! It's been a month~ it's a crazy business but ultimately, a very rewarding one. If you like working with people and have a high tolerance for them, maybe you should look into getting a job at a staffing firm? Believe me, the work day goes by REALLY fast - it's crazy all of the time.
There are never any jobs when you get to the interview. It is a huge scam. It is really bad business when there is a job posted for weeks on end and come to find out -"poof",it's gone when you get there ironically! Not to be rude but are staffing firms busy filing all the apps they get from all the people that come in looking for work?

Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,345,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
They say they have no openings for you because they are waiting for some illegals and drunk bums to come in so they can pay them $4 an hour less then you.
lol. So true!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:19 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,830 times
I personally don't like employment agencies. There are some good ones out there, and I commend them. Way to many of them though post job ad's that truly don't exist, or tend to lead you on about a particular job, then once your in their office interviewing you get the real story that you should have been given either in the job ad, or the invitation to the interview. Sometimes though that doesn't even happen, you get the real story on your first day at the "temp to hire" job.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,649 times
On Monday I applied for a job and found out it was from a staffing agency way after the fact but I of course kept my appt any way with the employer. Once i was there the employer loved me and I was very qualified for the job but and of course they were only going to give me $8 an hr going thru the staffing agency. So..I called the staffing agency and told them i declined the job due to the pay being way to low for what i was applying for (the job will pay $20 an hr typically). I am going to reapply for the job again with the same employer and see if they will give me more money. Will the employer get in trouble or is there a waiting time to reapply with the same employer in the event they will give me more money cause i am not going thru a staffing agency? I am pretty sure they will hire me at approx $18 to $20 an hr cause i am applying on my own...I really want the job and like the people but i want to be sure i wait long enough b4 i reapply (i am sure they are checking with their attorney also but i dont want to reapply to soon and chance not getting the job.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdaisyhurley View Post
On Monday I applied for a job and found out it was from a staffing agency way after the fact but I of course kept my appt any way with the employer. Once i was there the employer loved me and I was very qualified for the job but and of course they were only going to give me $8 an hr going thru the staffing agency. So..I called the staffing agency and told them i declined the job due to the pay being way to low for what i was applying for (the job will pay $20 an hr typically). I am going to reapply for the job again with the same employer and see if they will give me more money. Will the employer get in trouble or is there a waiting time to reapply with the same employer in the event they will give me more money cause i am not going thru a staffing agency? I am pretty sure they will hire me at approx $18 to $20 an hr cause i am applying on my own...I really want the job and like the people but i want to be sure i wait long enough b4 i reapply (i am sure they are checking with their attorney also but i dont want to reapply to soon and chance not getting the job.

Sounds like a fraudulent agency because the one i went to last year offered me $14.00 an hour to start a job.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:42 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
So basically you're looking to shaft the temp agency while complaining agencies can't get decent jobs for people these days - gosh I wonder WHY that would be?

If I was that employer I wouldn't HIRE anyone willing to do what you're suggesting. I'd be wondering how you were planning to shaft ME.
I'm sure you signed something when you signed on at the agency.

fwiw staffing agencies aren't stupid honey - you really think you're the first to think this little deal up?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 AM

143 posts, read 374,524 times
Quote:
The employer is using a temp agency for a reason - money. They pay you less and don't have to give you benefits. Why on earth would they decide to just hire you outside the agency just because *you* want more money? People are desperate these days ... you need them a lot more than they need you. It sucks but what can you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search