Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:58 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
FALSE! An employer can and will ask those types of questions. Unless you have some type of unique skills it is still an employers market and they are in the catbird seat. If you don't like those questions there are hundreds of other people out there with better skills that would love to answer those questions and get a chance for a great job.
Anyone who would answer those questions has no confidence in their abilities. Someone who knows what they bring to the table doesn't have to answer foolish questions to get a job. Which is why I would have ended the interview instantly if they asked that question because there will always be other interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Anyone who would answer those questions has no confidence in their abilities. Someone who knows what they bring to the table doesn't have to answer foolish questions to get a job. Which is why I would have ended the interview instantly if they asked that question because there will always be other interviews.
The irony of this repetitive response from someone who's been laid off several times and last time around was out of work for 11 months. Despite sitting home sending in hundreds of online applications, a total of three interviews were gained in 11 months, the last of which was finally successful. Maybe if you started listening to others who have the experience you apparently lack, you might be able to climb the ladder and get to a better place.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:21 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Wouldn't my experience related to the position be listed on the resume? And if it is then I would think they would ask to elaborate more about my experience instead of something crazy like..."what have you been doing while you were unemployed?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
I didn't read all the replies, but some possible answers could be;

I was caring for a sick parent/brother/sister. Do not say you were sick.

I started a small business that didn't work out. You could temper this by saying something like, I was searching for work during the first few months of my unemployment, but after a few interviews and no offers I opened my own small business. It could be any type of business. You could also add that during your small business operation you used a program like quick books, and interacted with vendors, govt agencies, etc.

I wouldn't say you used quick books though unless you actually know how to use it. That could lead to follow up questions.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:39 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I didn't read all the replies, but some possible answers could be;

I started a small business that didn't work out. You could temper this by saying something like, I was searching for work during the first few months of my unemployment, but after a few interviews and no offers I opened my own small business. It could be any type of business. You could also add that during your small business operation you used a program like quick books, and interacted with vendors, govt agencies, etc.

I wouldn't say you used quick books though unless you actually know how to use it. That could lead to follow up questions.
What's the point of lying? Getting a job isn't so hard that you have to resort to lying like a thief/con-man

Old 03-04-2015, 09:42 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

Some employers will accept that answer, but some won't. A former co worker/friend of mine was on a job interview and she was asked what she had been doing during her period of unemployment, which was 4 years. She had been caring for her ill mother the entire time and the interviewer rudely asked her why didn't she just hire a nurse and work at least part time? That interviewer deserved a smack in the head if you ask me.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Some employers will accept that answer, but some won't. A former co worker/friend of mine was on a job interview and she was asked what she had been doing during her period of unemployment, which was 4 years. She had been caring for her ill mother the entire time and the interviewer rudely asked her why didn't she just hire a nurse and work at least part time? That interviewer deserved a smack in the head if you ask me.
Additionally, some states will actually pay you a wage to take care of a sick/disabled parent, child, or sibling. If this applied - technically you wouldn't have been unemployed.

Northeastern states seem to be more liberal in this regard.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
That interviewer deserved a smack in the head if you ask me.
Just as it's foolish to assume that all job applicants are as good as they think they are, it's equally as foolish to assume that all applicant interviewers are brilliantly competent. Issues arise when a stubborn applicant such as those here who say the question shouldn't be asked meet up with a seasoned and competent interviewer, don't get hired and then badmouth bosses/hirers in general. And such as the interviewer you mentioned with no clue about how to properly interview people, what to say and how to say it.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudmouth View Post
If I were the hiring manager I would assume that if the person had been sending out resumes for a year and had gone to countless interviews and kept being rejected, there is something wrong with them. People want to be around winners and those highly respected and accepted by others.
And yet another clueless, classless statement from you..

Old 03-04-2015, 10:50 AM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Just as it's foolish to assume that all job applicants are as good as they think they are, it's equally as foolish to assume that all applicant interviewers are brilliantly competent. Issues arise when a stubborn applicant such as those here who say the question shouldn't be asked meet up with a seasoned and competent interviewer, don't get hired and then badmouth bosses/hirers in general. And such as the interviewer you mentioned with no clue about how to properly interview people, what to say and how to say it.
You make a good point. It's a two way street but a lot of people like to think it's just a one way street where one party is fully at blame, or is always to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search