Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Overdressing = too old in some industries and corporate culture

I've lost a few opportunities due to overdressing.

When they notified you that you didn't get the job, did they come out and say it was due to the way you were dressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 PM

260 posts, read 675,811 times
As the others are saying, wear a suit. Wishing you the best of luck!

Old 03-03-2015, 09:19 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
I think you should wear a lab coat and bow tie, like Bill Nye. He somehow manages to get jobs. (and despite his lousy personality)

Old 03-03-2015, 09:48 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
In my field (I.T.), it is possible to overdress and it is possible for some employers to hold that against you. Unfair, but it happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Where I work, people who show up for interviews in a suit are usually laughed at behind their back and deemed 'out of touch' and not a cultural fit.

I think it's super petty, but it goes to show that in some cases, overdressing can be considered bad.
My experience has been similar. I work in both an industry and a geographic location where the dress code is so casual that if someone showed up in a suit, they'd be viewed as out of touch, a poor fit for the company culture, etc. Hopefully not laughed at, although I have heard the occasional sarcastic remark about it.

I've always just checked with the recruiter or H.R. to verify if a suit is necessary or if business casual is acceptable for the interview.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Wear the suit. The only time it may have hurt me was interviewing with a hipster company.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:01 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Be careful when wearing suits to entry-level positions as well. Although you mean well, the hiring manager may view you as a potential threat to the stability of their internal structure, especially if you insinuate that you hope to advance and grow with the organization. Depending on the nature of the position and even the salary offered, some companies want entry-level candidates to stay at the bottom.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So it's the people who would be peers of those being interviewed. There are childish people everywhere, so no surprise.
Pretty much. If I think the candidate is a good match for the open position, I'll say so. Whether they're wearing a suit is irrelevant. I'm personally pretty laid back about dress styles, but it's hard to fault someone for going the extra mile to look their best.

Alas, I'm only one person out of the 10-15 of us who are in the office at any given time.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:28 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,453 times
In tis fay and age this question should not even be asked. Maybe there is a correlation between wearing jeans to interviews and your history of blue collar entry level jobs. Think about it.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:51 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
As a long time HM, I would wear the suit if I was you. You don't want to look like you consider it just an entry level position, and let someone that looked a little more professional get the job. Go in in a suit, and look like you are a professional. In a large company, the suit sets you off as someone that may have a future with the company and not always be in the entry level job. Go in jeans and a polo shirt, and you are saying you really are just an entry level type person and large companies like to get people that want to hang around and look for future advancement.

When in doubt always go the better dressed route. A lot of people lose the job at the interview, by looking too casual and not professional. Wear the suit, and hope everyone else wears jeans and a polo shirt or it's equivalent. That way you will stand out from the other applicants, and this is what helps get jobs.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
Huh? I have been working in IT for 17 years and never heard overdressing works against you.

Some of the new "hip" and "cool" internet companies where people wear ripped shorts and skateboard to the office have been reported to look down on people who even dress business casual + tie to an interview. Pretty silly if true as you can always tell them on the first interview that you don't dress like that here and see what they do on the second one.

I would think that for something like the OP is describing a suit would be fine or at the least button down shirt and tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search