U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 8,346 times

Advertisements

I have been to several of the resume writing/job finding classes that were offered by the unemployment offices in various states. A couple of the particular classes were taught by employees of temp agencies , partnering with workforce (unemployment). In two of those classes, we were able to pin down the trainer and discuss age discrimination. The trainers reluctantly, after much brow beating, caved in and advised us that for the most part, although it is illegal, they are asked at least 80% of the time not to refer anyone who appears to be over the age of 40 to a job.

In my job hunt, I refuse to even consider going to an agency for temp or temp to perm work because of the two times I have been told this, I am 55, it seems I would just be wasting my time, even when I am a perfect fit for the jobs being advertised, if they are in fact real positions to begin with.

Has anyone else had direct experience with this and agencies, or has anyone else had it said to them by an agency (yes I know it is illegal to do it and the trainers told us that we never heard them say it).

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 PM

154 posts, read 209,353 times
Age discrimination in hiring is real

Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 PM

12,717 posts, read 12,335,634 times
Getting old sure sucks!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:03 PM

I know it is real, experience it daily, just reassuring myself it would be a waste of time, especially since they always make you take a bunch of bs tests etc... I don't feel like subjecting myself to that if it is common not to even refer an older candidate.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:23 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,325,372 times
Even if this is the case, I find it very unethical for these temp agency workers to be telling an audience of mature workers something like that. Anyone would second guess themselves after hearing that. I work in the Oil & Gas industry & see people over 50 getting hired everyday. In fact, they are valued for maturity and knowledge. There's hope. So, keep your head up and hang in there. Meanwhile, take advantage of training offered via sites like Lynda.com to refresh your skills and get thru the BS testing that temp agencies are notorious for giving. I refuse to believe that at 55 your washed up. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,602,293 times
Are you unemployed now? If so, there is no such thing as a "waste of time" when applying for a new position.

Age discrimination can be a real obstacle, but it is hardly confined to temp work. All you can do is apply to the jobs you want and hope they are not practicing illegal discrimination.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:58 PM

9,892 posts, read 14,854,946 times
You expect ethical behavior from temp agencies and the slime who use them for disposable workers?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:03 PM

It was unethical for them to tell us, they knew it and they felt sorry for us, knowing one day they could be there themselves. BTW, this was two different occasions, two separate companies, I think they were trying to be helpful and I got the impression that they would rather be able to tell the clients to look elsewhere. Thanks for the info in Lynda.com, there may be some useful info there, I can pass the tests at the agencies, in fact I enjoy taking tests and do very well on them, I don't think I'm washed up but employers seem to, so sad. I have recently gone to an interview right after a great long phone conversation, I got there the guy handed me a description of the job and said ok thanks, fill out name and address only, no work history, no references, no interview, clearly he thought I was much younger on the phone.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:05 PM

17,774 posts, read 14,059,877 times
I'm a 68 year old Manpower temp. Now what age do you say they discriminate? I know many other older people that also work for them. I also get paid a respectable wage - more than most of the young that start.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:12 PM

Fisheye, that is encouraging, maybe I will check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search