Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 PM

431 posts, read 597,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
Do you feel that this should be enough to earn you an interview? Why/why not?
If numerology shows your name to be unlucky, I know of at least one place around here that you won't get an interview at, regardless of how great your resume is. I also know of another place that won't consider non-US born (legal) applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 04:33 PM

34,852 posts, read 30,947,424 times
Should you? Probably. Will you? Likely, but there are no guarantees, virtually anything can come up.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:45 PM

685 posts, read 716,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
No one is going to meet the exact requirements, well maybe 1%.
When I was in my field and unemployed, my recruiter sent me a posting for Coach in NYC.
I read it and told the recruiter I didn't meet all the requirements. Joe said, they can't possibly want
all that (the "exact reqs." from someone and to rewrite my resume to stress those reqs. I met and then some. It was rejected (not a surprise from me) and Joe couldn't believe it. (I always sent what I believed to be an appropriate cover letter.)

It's the way things went for me.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,051,772 times
Quote:
I was thinking the opposite. Wouldn't a lot of candidates be local, and the bulk of them qualified? I was going to tell the OP if hundreds of applications are received, the employer can't be obligated to interview all of them.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,850,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHiker1 View Post
Curious as to what some people think on here.

If you have the following working in your favor when applying for a job:

1. You are a local candidate in the same town/city you are applying for.
2. You are fully qualified for the position (not just their basic requirements, but the preferred ones as well).
3. You have an impeccable resume, tailored impressively to the job and free of any grammar/spelling/formatting errors.

Do you feel that this should be enough to earn you an interview? Why/why not?

What percentage of candidates that a job opening looks at do you think meet these three requirements?
Those things you listed are essential to getting an interview, but may not guarantee an interview. You just have to wait and see and keep trying.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:34 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,439,098 times
Who knows what the others who are: local, meet or exceed the qualifications, AND have that same "perfect tailored resume" received when their resume was reviewed, IF it was reviewed.
Not all "paper" {or online} applications stand out, and unfortunately, if they all "look the same" one is even more less likely to stand out, and local doesn't always translate to job offer, either.

MOH's current job offer came after a face-to-face "mini-interview" on the spot at a job fair. They took MOH's resume ONLY FOR THE name and email addy to know WHO it was amongst all those online resumes MOH really was. Then Told MOH to post the resume and file an online application. Both finally netted MOH a *quick* in person interview in which they co-interviewed another party, and MOH out shined the other applicant in the in-person dual interview!

Had it NOT been for the face-to-face first impression MOH's resume would have looked like so many others who applied also,and may never have been brought to the surface, so to speak.

And the strange thing is, this job relies heavily on a person's interpersonal abilities, and a piece of paper or online resume doesn't always show those characteristics. NOR does one of those "dreaded personality tests" some employers are so fond of.

Ultimately I {or others here} don't know as I am{we are} not the interviewer!
Good LUck!

Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 PM

948 posts, read 912,631 times
As others have said, there may have been a lot of other applicants that are perfect for the job, or they may already have a hand-picked candidate (or relative).

Also, there could be other things about a candidate that turned them off. If you've been unemployed for a long time, many employers will automatically discriminate against you. It seems unethical, but it's true. In fact, books about hiring actually recommend giving preference to people who are currently employed, over people who need a job. The longer you are unemployed, the more employers will discriminate against you.

Another problem is that many companies are using software programs to screen resumes lately, and those programs can miss perfect candidates.

Here's an article you might find interesting:
5 Insider Secrets for Beating Applicant Tracking Systems | CIO

Old 03-05-2015, 07:43 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,307,816 times
It takes a supernatural occurrence to get an interview in this day and age.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:49 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,455,912 times
"Earning" an interview is an outmoded concept in this day and age. It was maybe always that way.
Getting a job is who you know and being in the right place at the right time.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,356,362 times
Quote:
Not 1%. Employers are dreaming for that 1%. But they'd probably prefer to import people than hire local.

Hunting for Purple Squirrels: Why Your Fantasy Job Applicant Doesn’t Exist | Hawaii Business Magazine

Employees are burned by previous bad jobs, and reluctant to stay if it follows the same pattern. Employers are burned by bad hires, and reluctant to take people who they think might be a risk. So basically, neither side really wants to hire the other.

Here's a hint. You can get the best team for the job. You will probably have to spend extra money because they know what they are worth. Or you can train the best team for the job.

In short, nobody should need to "earn" an interview. An interview is like an audition, or should be, a test of personal traits and ideally also a test of job skill. At the interview, they should do some mock work so the hirer can tell if they are a fancy suit, or actually willing/able to do the job. Especially since there are people who are bad at interviews (fielding questions is actually a specialized skill that has little to do with social behavior in general. There are charming psychopaths who don't connect with people at all but can get the job if all it takes is an interview, and there are people like me, who flub interviews but can do most jobs because I'm a haptic learner).

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 03-05-2015 at 11:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search