Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 07:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,965 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in a bit of a quandary right now in regards to software summer internships. My dad, who works for Company X, helped get me an initial interview at the company he works at. Two weeks after I finished the initial and on-site interviews, I was given a job offer that I was more than ready to accept. I had to make a decision within a week and decided to just call them back in 5-6 days to accept it. However, when I woke up the next morning, I was contacted by Company Y in regards to interviewing with them. I decided why not, and I just took their interview yesterday, Monday, and got an email today asking if I'd be interested in doing on-site interviews for their company when I'm back in the bay. They are aware that I have to make a decision regarding Company X within a couple days. That being said, I'm really confused on what to reply back right now. I know that I will be unable to receive an offer from Company Y before I have to make my decision, meaning that I will end up accepting Company X's offer regardless. When it comes to comparing the two companies, they are both established companies but company Y is is more established in the software industry while company X is making great advances and kind of has that start-up feel as it is starting to become more prominent in the software industry. I am getting paid $20/hr for company X, and as a second year student in college with no internship experience, I Feel like this is an appropriate amount of money. I will also be doing relatively the same stuff that I'd be doing with Company Y for the most part. Should I just tell Company Y that I will be accepting Company X's offer as they wont be able to give me an offer in enough time? I also don't want to be in a situation where I have to call Company X and tell them I went with a different internship, given my dad works for Company X and helped me get the internship at his company. Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks for reading!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 08:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,492,369 times
X is a sure thing, is in your field, and you already have a connection there which may mean landing a job coming out of college. I wouldn't turn my back on those just because there is a possibility of a similar offer.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 PM

Would you have any suggestions on how I should email Company Y?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 PM

813 posts, read 1,266,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopatsgo View Post
Would you have any suggestions on how I should email Company Y?
Thank you for the opportunity to meet with you and learn more about your company. I have decided to accept another position, but I wish you well in your search for the right candidate for your company.

Thank you,
gopatsgo

Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 PM

5,122 posts, read 4,455,156 times
You have a job offer with X. You don't know if you will get one with Y.

I'd go with the sure and thing take the job with X.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,492,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
Thank you for the opportunity to meet with you and learn more about your company. I have decided to accept another position, but I wish you well in your search for the right candidate for your company.

Thank you,
gopatsgo
I would have suggested something very similar to this.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,574,988 times
It is a great position to be in having competing job opportunities. Having a firm offer in this economy is a substantial plus factor for company x. I would take the interview just for the experience since they know you have an offer in hand and the deadline for it's acceptance. If they beat the deadline and make an offer, then you have a tougher decision to make.

Until they make an offer, you have only one to consider. IF they do make an offer, please consider how it will reflect upon your dad who recommended you for the internship before you make your decision. Then consider the factors that affect you such as compensation, experience toward your career path and potential networking opportunities.

I agree that money is not the ultimate consideration for you at this stage in life. Family relationships and future business relationships are much more important.

If they do not make an offer before the deadline, it would be an easy choice for me. I would take the existing offer for this summer. If they make an offer after the deadline, thank them for the offer and "reluctantly" refuse the offer because you have already accepted a competing offer and feel obligated to fulfill that promise. Tell them you hope they will still consider you for future positions once your present obligations are completed.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:05 AM

Thank you all for the feedback! Definitely really enlightening.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:30 AM

140 posts, read 222,767 times
No brainer, take company X. They have given you a solid offer which pays extremely well! Also your dad helped you get the in for it so show him and them some loyalty.

Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM

So does something like this sound good?

Hi ______,

Thank you for the opportunity to meet with you and learn more about Company Y. I have decided to accept the Company X position , but I wish you well in your search for the right candidate for your company. I look forward to applying to Company Y next year and hope I will still be considered for future positions once my present obligations are completed.

Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search