Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,136,170 times

Advertisements

Last week I went on another interview. It went really well. The manager asked if I wanted to shadow the unit, and I said yes. Fast forward yesterday, I shadow the unit and interviewed a second time. After the shadow experience, the manager told me that tomorrow I would hear back regarding a decision and that it would give me enough time to put my two week notice in.

Get a call from HR today saying they are interviewing another candidate and now an internal candidate has expressed interest in the position plus they are still trying to get in touch with references.

I am furious. I am so ****ing sick of these mind games that HR and these managers play, and I'm ready to quit and just be done with it all. I don't have time to wait weeks on end waiting for these managers to make up their minds.

I hate wishy-washy person, and I can't stand dishonesty. If you knew you were still interviewing other people, you should have TOLD me instead of making me believe that I have the job and to get ready to put my two-week notice in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 03:45 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
They WERE being honest with you, or you would not know what you do, which you are ranting about here.

If I read your report right, He asked if you'd LIKE to SHADOW the department, he did NOT OFFER YOU A JOB {yet}.They are very well entitled to interview ALL potential candidates for the job. And he told you so today.

If you are still interested, calm down before you burn that bridge.

AND be expecting to not get picked at all, especially if the interviewer gets wind of your attitude here.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
After the shadow experience, the manager told me that tomorrow I would hear back regarding a decision and that it would give me enough time to put my two week notice in.

Okay, and they told you the truth, didn't they? You heard back today regarding their decision - that they're still seeing people.

I don't get the rage. If you honestly thought this meant you were being fast-tracked into the job, get mad at yourself for jumping the gun.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
They WERE being honest with you, or you would not know what you do, which you are ranting about here.

If I read your report right, He asked if you'd LIKE to SHADOW the department, he did NOT OFFER YOU A JOB {yet}.They are very well entitled to interview ALL potential candidates for the job. And he told you so today.

AND be expecting to not get picked at all, especially if the interviewer gets wind of your attitude here.

She.

Yes, they are well entitled to interview, but don't tell me to get prepared to put my two-week notice in and then turn around and continue to interview other candidates as well. They were NOT honest with me.

She insisted that I shadow the unit. She told me that I would hear back tomorrow "which should give you enough to put your two-week notice in for orientation." Honestly, that sounds like playing games to me.

No attitude here. I just am tired of people playing games.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:11 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Until you have a formal offer, you have nothing to be upset about.

I understand the frustration, but they're not offering a position to make TiltheEndofTime happy. They're offering a position because they need work to be done, and they have every right to fill that position in any way they see fit. If you don't like their hiring process, you can withdraw your application.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjpitZx5lZI

Old 03-13-2015, 04:29 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
Always assume you're not getting the job until the offer comes in. By having little to no expectations, you'll be pleasantly surprised when you finally do get a job offer.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:50 PM

469 posts, read 637,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
She.

Yes, they are well entitled to interview, but don't tell me to get prepared to put my two-week notice in and then turn around and continue to interview other candidates as well. They were NOT honest with me.

She insisted that I shadow the unit. She told me that I would hear back tomorrow "which should give you enough to put your two-week notice in for orientation." Honestly, that sounds like playing games to me.

No attitude here. I just am tired of people playing games.
Maybe after you shadowed another manager or employee felt you weren't a fit. I am not saying this happened but you never know. Did shadowing go well? Was anything odd or uncomfortable that day?

Old 03-13-2015, 05:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

It's always easy to tell someone to calm down isn't it, that is when it doesn't happen to you?

The OP being told about giving you enough time to give your two weeks notice certainly would make most people feel like a job offer is coming.

The OP also had to take time off from their current job to shadow and do a second onsite interview, clearly they took a day off from work by taking a vacation day or calling in sick. I can understand their frustration at this point.

Because when you're currently employed and have to make excuses to not be at work, you can only do it for so long before start wondering why you have so many Dr. appts. , than having to take off a day to shadow, OP feels like they wasted their time.

Time that could have been saved for another opportunity.

When you're job hunting, the idea is not get fired from your current position.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Maybe after you shadowed another manager or employee felt you weren't a fit. I am not saying this happened but you never know. Did shadowing go well? Was anything odd or uncomfortable that day?
I thought it went really well, but nowadays, you can't tell. Managers say one thing and do another, things seem like they went great, but then you don't get the job.

I am just frustrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search