Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:30 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This ^^^^^^. Of course there is a need to interview, companies don't just do it for kicks. They ARE looking to fill a position and this is the most logical way to do it.

What most people fail to realize is that the interview is not one sided. Sure, they are interviewing you, but you are also interviewing them. It should be an exchange of information that gives you some idea of if this is a company you want to work for as well as if they want you to be their employee. When I was doing interviews, I did not want a sheep sitting on the other side of the desk, I wanted an active participant who was also asking questions about the position and showing me they had drive and a real interest in THAT position.

I realize it is a grueling process, especially if you have been out of work for a while, but all you need is for that one company to say "Welcome aboard" to change things for the better. Good luck, the right job will come along if you just keep trying.

Don
Not really for me. I don't need an interview to know I want the job. I wouldn't be applying if I didn't know I wanted it. It *might* be different if I was looking for a career and so was really picky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:19 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
I don't agree with this and I don't work in HR.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:25 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Not really for me. I don't need an interview to know I want the job. I wouldn't be applying if I didn't know I wanted it. It *might* be different if I was looking for a career and so was really picky.
so why aren't you looking for a career? I've turned down jobs because I didn't like how the work area was setup before, other times because I didn't like how it "felt". I've turned down just as many offers as I've been turned down by companies. Or I have a few offers at once and I have to pick the best and turn down the rest.

Just applying for a job doesn't mean you will end up working there even if they like you. Which is why interviews should be two way and not just them selecting someone, you should do your job in deciding if you want to work there

Old 03-15-2015, 10:38 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
hiring managers usually don't know who they are going to hire. but there are many people who are just bad interviewers and bad interviewees. this results in many people getting hired simply because they have good "rapport" and the hiring manager feels a good connection. this is not the best way to hire but it's probably the most common way to hire.

however, i don't really know of any alternate ways. should companies hire blindly (solely based on resume + writing samples + test of some sort)?

there is a team dynamic that can be important (usually a team suffers if there is one bad apple (jerk) that nobody gets along with).
What companies SHOULD do, is hire the person that best fits the true need.

Note, I said TRUE need. Not assumptive need, or what "feels right".

I have seen job openings for customer service representatives where candidates were turned down that had over 10 years working call centers, over someone fresh out of high school, never worked phones, because they were cute, smiled a lot and were nice to talk to.

I've seen instances where people were hired as managers for a networking team where that manager didn't have any idea about when and why to do backups (backup because there's something you want to retain and be able to recover, not just because). All because the person was able to say the right buzzwords in the interview process. Nobody ever questioned his methodology.

I've been on the other side where a guy came in and I literally drilled him about concepts of the job to make sure he was able to think outside of buzzwords and he passed with flying colors; there was no way he could have practiced the answers. That's the kind of person that you want to hire. He got overlooked, and I was overriden. They ended up hiring a guy who was quiet, smiling and polite but couldn't really answer concept questions. They paid over $4,000 to send him to training...and he gave notice right when he got back AND took a week of vacation because he "wanted to be manager". This is literally a month after he started. I'm like, "that's what you get for not hiring the RIGHT person!"

If you're looking for a specific type of role, it is critical that the person going into the role is able to go beyond what's on paper, beyond the buzzwords. It's hard. But it simply means you need to understand what you really need and be sure to drill into the person to identify that they fill the need. So many hiring people don't understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
so why aren't you looking for a career? I've turned down jobs because I didn't like how the work area was setup before, other times because I didn't like how it "felt". I've turned down just as many offers as I've been turned down by companies. Or I have a few offers at once and I have to pick the best and turn down the rest.

Just applying for a job doesn't mean you will end up working there even if they like you. Which is why interviews should be two way and not just them selecting someone, you should do your job in deciding if you want to work there
I agree. IN 2003 when I went for a Customer Service position, I actually asked to tour the floor where I'd be working, which surprised them. They did accommodate but they said I was the first to ever ask that. Not sure why - I want to know whether the work environment is acceptable.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:57 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,740 times
I feel many interviews are about getting to know each and every applicant's personality. Of course they will likely discuss what work experience you put on an application/resume but you can tell that oftentimes they just want to get to know you to see if you would get along with everyone who works at the company.

Sometimes companies will call for interview people who don't exactly qualify for a job position just to give people a chance to prove themselves and so more emphasis would be placed on the individual's character. Because of this, you would probably need to have an outstanding personality in order to get hired.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:34 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
A question I would like to pose to certain people is, "How is all of that anger working out for you?"

When your core beliefs are that companies are evil, hiring managers are sociopaths or psychopaths, that in order to get ahead you have to be a corporate slave and kiss behinds, that you're just a victim, it comes across during interviews.

I know some of you don't believe that, but the seasoned among us know how to look for tells. We know which questions to ask and if we push a hot button, the right words may be coming out of your mouth, but your face and body language will be saying something else. As clever as you think you are, you cannot hide the truth about how you truly feel. And we hate people who try to save themselves or be hired by butt kissing.

This is the kind of toxic thinking no hiring manager will ever say yes to, unless they're so green, they don't recognize it.

So again, it's not that we know ahead of time who we want to hire, but we're positive about who we're not going to hire.
Makes some great points.

Though I do have a question: Those who sometimes vet interviewees aren't the most experienced. Once I was being prescreened by a woman straight out of college and she asked me the dumbest questions and didn't seem to know where to go with the interview. I get this is why there are multiple interviews, but what if you can't get past that ONE inexperienced interviewer who is sometimes the first person you meet? I think that is one road block that angers a lot of people. The JR HR person they throw at interviewees to prescreen them... what do you do about that level of inexperience?

From my experience, they tend to not know what they're really looking for, which ends up wasting valuable time down the road because of their lack of experience.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:15 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
If you don't ask questions during the interview process, how will you know if this is the RIGHT job for you ? We see threads on here every day with someone moaning about how they took a job and now hate it. By you asking some key questions during the interview, it not only shows them you want a position with the company, but also that you intend on staying for the long haul.

I have interviewed a bunch of people over the years who sat there and simply answered my questions, without asking me anything. It left me with the impression that this was just someone looking for ANY job and that as soon as something better came along they would be gone.

Nope, the interview is for them and for you.

Don

Old 03-15-2015, 05:18 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Why beat around the bush?? Just say there will be no interviews, we already have our candidate Oh there is some "law" some damn "rule" requiring that jobs be posted and interviews be done (bull**** formalities) even if they already have the candidate they want for the position.

What the purpose of laws or rules when companies essentially have free reign to do essentially do WHATEVER they want to do anyways and never face any type of punishment. Where is the policing of these out on control unscrupulous corporations?

Quit wasting everyone's time you jerks
You sound like a bitter job seeker who isn't getting jobs. Maybe the common denominator is you?

I hire people and when I start the process I usually have no idea who I am hiring. 100% of my hires come from outside the company.

But how would you remedy the companies hiring who they want? What law are they violating by hiring the person they want to fill a spot? How would you punish a company for not hiring who YOU want them to hire?

Old 03-15-2015, 05:47 PM

347 posts, read 427,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

I've turn down a couple of jobs after the interview because I had reservations about the hiring manager and their management style and competence. Those are things I wouldn't have figured out without the interview.

Where I am now we don't know we are going to hire. I do think one of our biggest issues, is that the HR department vets all the resumes and often they screen out potentially good applicants. My boss in particular requires industry experience (I'm in a niche industry and so industry experience isn't common), which also tends to eliminate potentially good candidates. So often I am adovocating for someone who has good transferable skills. I think every organization has issues related to their hiring process. The hiring process is never perfect, but I think most organizations try to do their best. When there is an opening most of time it doesn't serve the organization or the potential employee to play games.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
It's sickening. It basically implies if you aren't someone who makes friends you can't have a job.

That does make sense about new companies. The problem is I haven't seen any new companies in my area. I think I've seen some on Craigslist but I can't tell what is legit.
It isn't that you have to be able to make friends to have a job. You do have to be able to interact with other people effectively. It is very difficult to work with someone who cannot do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search