Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:02 AM

795 posts, read 4,541,053 times

Advertisements

Quick question: What would you think (and how would you feel) if you found out after a phone interview that a second interviewer had been present? That person did not introduce themselves and never spoke. You only found out by accident later that that person was present. That person's feedback was used to evaluate your performance. (If it matters, both interviewers were impressed with your performance.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,308,060 times
If the prospective employer wants a second opinion on an interviewee to be the desired candidate, it would not be uncommon for someone else to listen in on the interview. If both interviewers were positive with your interview, count that as a positive.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,024,941 times
They also may have been evaluating the interviewer you were speaking to and they didn't want to affect the dynamic.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:31 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,563,439 times
I would think nothing of it as it would have not influenced my interview in any way. Would you have interviewed differently if you knew a 2nd unknown person was there?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:36 AM

Mr. Geek -- I may or may not have interviewed differently depending upon the person's role and skill set. For example, if I knew they were more technical or less technical, I may have adjusted my language so that they could more easily understand what I saying. If I knew they were skilled in my service area, I would definitely have amped up my answers around methodology and theoretical concepts. The way I speak to an SVP is entirely different than the way I speak to a technical expert who is a peer.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:38 AM

Carolina Knight and Timberline -- Thanks for your perspectives! I don't know anything about the second interviewer beyond first name and that their feedback about me was positive.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,156,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
Mr. Geek -- I may or may not have interviewed differently depending upon the person's role and skill set. For example, if I knew they were more technical or less technical, I may have adjusted my language so that they could more easily understand what I saying. If I knew they were skilled in my service area, I would definitely have amped up my answers around methodology and theoretical concepts. The way I speak to an SVP is entirely different than the way I speak to a technical expert who is a peer.

That's true except the 2nd person is not interviewing you.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,563,439 times
Quote:
I would not worry about it too much. If the person is silent and you have no way of knowing they are there then you interview as you would to the person you do know is there. If they fault you for not being technical enough to a SVP (with a hidden techy in the corner) then they are not someone I'd necessarily want to work for.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:49 AM

Jaypee -- I am going to disagree with you. The second person is most certainly interviewing you if their feedback is essential to determining whether you move forward in the interview process. They may be silent, but they are participating in the interview.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Quote:
Jaypee -- I am going to disagree with you. The second person is most certainly interviewing you if their feedback is essential to determining whether you move forward in the interview process. They may be silent, but they are participating in the interview.
No, they're not. They're participating in the decision making, but not in the interview.

Either the second interviewer was guiding/assessing the skills of the person who interviewed you, as Mr_Geek stated, or the interviewer likes the input of someone else when making a decision. My managers ask me to speak to people they're considering because they're not quite confident enough yet to make these decisions without my input. And my input is generally nothing more than an agreement of their assessment.

You're making too much of this, I think. Relax and remember that both found you to be a good candidate. In the end, that's all that matters.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search