Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times

Advertisements

Which company would look better on your resume in terms of the work/skillset gained and also the company name itself?

Still, I would go with Company B unless the tasks/work at Company B would put your career in a tailspin(for example, if you are working on something at Company B that is going away/old technology and no other company wants people with that skillset)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:51 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Lots of good advice here. I do not disagree with any of it, except for using it to negotiate for a higher salary at the first company. Could definitely create bad vibes and a bad start. (This strategy only sometimes works -- definitely not always -- when you give notice to at a company you've been at for some time because of a better offer.)

However, I will also chime in that you should not feel guilty about leaving a company you just joined for ANY reason. It happens all the time for many different reasons, and as long as you have been there for less than a month, it will not affect YOU at all, so long as the other offer truly is firm. It will probably make your supervisor and the HR department a little put out, but that's business today. Most companies put their business first, why should their employees be any different?

As has probably been said millions and millions of time -- business is BUSINESS.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:02 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Take B's offer and don't waste any more of A's time. Business is business.

In today's climate, there's no need or expectation of loyalty. That's a notion from 50 years ago that no longer applies. Just move on and enjoy the higher salary.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:09 PM

658 posts, read 723,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
HI OP:

Normally I would say , you took the job with "A' , SO DEAL. You rolled the dice and lost. Ethics and integrity would say "Stay with the offer you took" {company "A"}.**

BUT: Everyone is missing an opportunity you MAY have here.

ASk Company "B" if the offer is firm and if it is yours if you decide to take it. DON'T settle for "maybe".

THEN You COULD tell company "A" about the other offer you got and ask "CAN YOU MATCH IT?" {DON'T TELL them with Whom-even if they ask-...just say "I got a firm job offer from another company for $20K more a year, same {style} positon. Can you IMPROVE your offer or MATCH that offer?" and see what they say.**

Then If they say no, THEN leave, but only after, as I {and others} pointed out, you are SURE you have company "B" is actually "locked in" for sure if you want it.

By asking them to match the offer, they will be aware you are contemplating taking it, and if they cannot match or improve their offer, the "2 weeks notice" might be self-understood. If they CAN improve their offer, even if not quite the $20K a year, then consider staying with them {Company "A"} as you 'gave your word and took their {original} offer' so you preserve your integrity and ethics.**

BUt do so ONLY at your assurance Company "B"'s offer is solid and yours without doubt.

The worst woudld be to end up without any job by tom-foolery over a few thousand dollars.

**EVery company/CEO/person/HR person is aware money is a 'high motivator'.

Good Luck

This is too late in the game already. The negotiation process already ended for Company A. He already started working and everything is firmed. Asking for money now is like a raised request and it will backfire pretty quickly. This is not necessarily a good idea at all.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Find out the particulars of Company B, benefits, culture etc. Really ask poignant questions, get details, negotiate! If it sounds good, go for it.

Look out for yourself, I am surprised so many people are shocked you took Company A job.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM

140 posts, read 223,400 times
Read all of the posts and while I think you should just take the company B 20k higher offer I do think if you do karma will come around and bite you at some point. Not meaning to sound negative at all. Just saying you shouldn't have accepted company A's offer if you knew it was in the low range of market salary for your position and you knew you wanted or deserved more, you should have toughed it out and done a few more interviews to get what you actually wanted.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:48 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas185 View Post
Read all of the posts and while I think you should just take the company B 20k higher offer I do think if you do karma will come around and bite you at some point. Not meaning to sound negative at all. Just saying you shouldn't have accepted company A's offer if you knew it was in the low range of market salary for your position and you knew you wanted or deserved more, you should have toughed it out and done a few more interviews to get what you actually wanted.

I disagree.
I think this situation happened due to timing and not out of malice and the employee is beholden only to himself.
You can argue that by offering a below-market rate, Company A is accepting the risk that employees may bolt at anytime for a higher offer.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:53 PM

140 posts, read 223,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I disagree.
I think this situation happened due to timing and not out of malice and the employee is beholden only to himself.
You can argue that by offering a below-market rate, Company A is accepting the risk that employees may bolt at anytime for a higher offer.
True or Company A saw what he/she was making at his current job (which the poster mentions was extremely low) or asked him/her what range they wanted and they gave a ballpark offer within that range. Either way it's speculation. I think if an offer was signed for Company A than to reneg would open the field for bad karma for this person (if you believe in that, I do).

All of that being said it's just a tip. I do still think the OP should take the 20k more offer because otherway they'll be lackluster working at company A.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:23 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
If you do take company B's offer, do make sure it is a firm offer (and you have passed all hoops and such) before you leap.

Also make sure it is truly a $20k bump ... look at benefits and other expenses (it could turn out to be even more, or less). But make it as close to an apples-to-apples comparison as you can.

And look at the work environments and potential growth. As long as you are "making enough" (that is for you to decide), go for what keeps you interested and engaged. Simply chasing money isn't for everyone.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Until it's time for you to put in your official notice at Company A, don't tell anyone at Company A what's going on. Not even a lunch friend that you totally trust. Things like that leak quickly. Only safe way is to tell nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search