Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:28 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
I think it's rude not to at least thank the people who met with you for their time.
Can't you thank them when you wrap up the interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:41 AM

194 posts, read 221,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Thank you and MY time is just as valuable. Like I said reeks of desperation.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:43 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Yes. But how much effort is it to just write a thank you note saying you enjoyed the conversation and reiterating your interest/skills?

Can you overdo it? Absolutely. But keep in mind that even if you scored an interview, so did 3-5 others. So sending a thank you note may differentiate you. Of course, if you bombed the interview or if another candidate is head and shoulder above you, then yea, your effort will be in vain. But again, it's a 2 min. effort.

In the end, whether or not there's any benefit will depend on the situation and recipient. But it is a courtesy.

I don't buy the angle that simply by following-up, you are showing desperation. How you follow-up can certainly do that. On the flip side, one can also say that not following-up can show lack of interest.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Why is following up so controversial? Either do it or don't.

As far as showing desperation, what's wrong with someone really wanting the job they applied for and took the time to interview for? If that's viewed as desperation, then so be it.

I see following up as simply another opportunity to keep my name in front of the decision makers after they may have seen a slew of different people.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:36 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I started my current job 3 years ago. I ended up following up multiple times. I was surprised that I had to but it was apparently positive since I got the job! I was getting good feedback from the hiring manager all along, or I might not have felt as comfortable following up. I wasn't being pushy and calling/emailing too often - the process ended up taking a few months. But if I had been expecting to hear back about a next step that the mgr had already told me was going to happen, I'd follow up every couple of weeks or so. I think that she was just very busy and the follow up acted as a true reminder for her so it worked out. But like I said, if the ongoing feedback wasn't positive to start with, I might not have. Things like being told "I want you to talk to the EVP, and I'll go ahead and set that up and let you know" vs. a more generic "I'll be in touch." So I knew I had made it to the next stage in the process and it was just the logistics that were hung up.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
As a hiring manager, I'm not a fan. (I realize that there are others who love seeing follow-up and love getting thank you notes. Too bad there's not a way to tell which of us are interviewing you!)

Picture this: You post a req. 100+ people apply. You phone screen the best 25, and bring in 5-10 for in-person interviews. And they're all following up, via phone/email/etc. Talk about distractions and disruptions!

Old 03-19-2015, 12:14 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times
I had a phone interview yesterday (we were supposed to do it via Skype but had issues so they settled for a phone interview) this is out of town btw... Anyways, after the interview (few hours later) i sent an email thanking them for their time. Today I got an email with a job offer

Old 03-19-2015, 08:16 PM

405 posts, read 572,908 times
I used to send thank you notes. Then I realized they were pointless when I was on the receiving end of a thank you note. The worse candidate sent one, didn't improve their chances one bit. IMO they do nothing and are pointless, I want to hire you because of your skill set, not because of a thank you note.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:20 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
I used to send thank you notes. Then I realized they were pointless when I was on the receiving end of a thank you note. The worse candidate sent one, didn't improve their chances one bit. IMO they do nothing and are pointless, I want to hire you because of your skill set, not because of a thank you note.
Ask a Manager lady states it's not a good idea to send a silly note just saying "Thanks for your time!" A follow up email is a much smarter idea.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:25 PM

405 posts, read 572,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Ask a Manager lady states it's not a good idea to send a silly note just saying "Thanks for your time!" A follow up email is a much smarter idea.
To the OP questions, following up is also pointless. If they want you they will call you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search