Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:56 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times

Advertisements

The times that I did get hired, the employers chased me down and requested my availability. One manager expected me to vacate my existing apartment right away and relocate, even after explaining that I shared it with someone else. The times that I regularly contacted an interviewer or hiring manager about the selection update, it didn't go anywhere-- even after, in one case, regularly contacting the same manager for 3 years. It was a waste of emails and/or phone calls.

There was one recent interview that I felt went positively, and the interviewer said they would make a selection soon, and would let me know if I was hired. I haven't heard from them in about a month an a half.

Recently, I applied for a job, and I was requested to complete a pre-screening application-- that's similar to the other times I was a considered as a serious candidate for other jobs, which resulted in a hire. On the company's Taleo account for the job I applied for, it says "Scheduled for interview." Is it better to pursue them and check the selection status, or to just wait for them to contact me, while moving on to other job openings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:12 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,106 times
Yes. It shows enthusiasm/interest. I've been on many sides of hiring in a short time, and can tell you that it looks strange when you interview (and these companies know you're interviewing elsewhere) and then you leave the interview and they hear not a PEEP back from you.

They either assume you're not excited/interested or that you found another opportunity. You'd think that, too. And you best believe some candidate(s) did follow up, so those are the ones you'd put your energy towards.

They may not follow up with you, but always cover your bases.

As for your question: I usually don't bother with a job unless I get called for an interview. At which point I then follow up. For jobs I really wanted, sometimes I'll reach out and receive a response, even if I've just sent a resume through and filled out their application and then heard nothing back. What you decide to do is completely up to you.

Last edited by Jjury15; 03-19-2015 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:17 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,066 times
What about those places that say, do not call?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,185 times
So the priority isn't filling an important position, but expressing enthusiasm?

And what are indicators that I'm just bothering a stranger I don't know, who isn't interested in hiring me, but is being professional/polite? Because that's happened to me several times, when I was new to job-hunting.

Another manager recently asked about my availability for a job that isn't ready yet. I said that I was very interested in working for them, and if there are any updates, to please contact me for consideration. That sounds enthusiastic, but less annoying. But I'm only interested in what's effective in landing a job.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
So the priority isn't filling an important position, but expressing enthusiasm?

And what are indicators that I'm just bothering a stranger I don't know, who isn't interested in hiring me, but is being professional/polite? Because that's happened to me several times, when I was new to job-hunting.

Another manager recently asked about my availability for a job that isn't ready yet. I said that I was very interested in working for them, and if there are any updates, to please contact me for consideration. That sounds enthusiastic, but less annoying. But I'm only interested in what's effective in landing a job.
Sorry, I added a response below my original.

But I said I do not bother unless I really liked the position/ job. I've heard a few people used to call in and this impressed the HMs or whoever so much that they just asked them in for an interview. This was in the early 2000's, so times may have changed. I've never had this experience of getting an interview after reaching out, but I've heard it happens. Likewise, you never know who you're bothering, but they won't be so bothered by you reaching out that they put you on some weird blacklist.

And yes, keep your follow-up, however you do it, brief. They have 10 million other things in their inboxes - so if you're message gets right to the point, they'll most likely look at it. 1-2 lines versus 5-6... 1-2 would win the race. Your responses sound good, though. I see no issue with it.

But only if I get an interview or if they reach out to me, do I then make sure to follow up.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:49 AM

194 posts, read 222,006 times
Following up is viewed as desperation. Don't do it. They already know whether or not they are going to hire you before you leave the interview.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali504 View Post
Following up is viewed as desperation. Don't do it. They already know whether or not they are going to hire you before you leave the interview.
Don't agree. Every time I've followed up I've been hired. This isn't to say when I have I haven't been hired - but it's never hurt me.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,733 times
In my field I would say following up is sort of viewed as desperation, especially if its a corny "following up" type of email that looks like you just sent it for brownie points.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM

251 posts, read 257,567 times
I always follow up after interviews. Sometimes I'm hired, sometimes not. I think it's rude not to at least thank the people who met with you for their time.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,352 times
Following up for the sake of following up (getting an update) is not a great idea. You should strive to provide additional value whenever following up. If it is after your first interview, send a "thank you" e-mail. Mention things you discussed and share some additional ideas that you had about how the job could be performed better.

Don't be afraid to sit down and spend a weekend coming up with a short business plan of what you would do in the first 30-60-90 days being on the job. Lay it out and show them that you are an incredibly diligent employee and you bring value to the table (not just showing up to get a paycheck). Sent it to them and say "I was thinking over the weekend about what we discussed and wanted to share my business plan with you if I were to be hired for the position. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this. Your time is appreciated."

This will truly set you apart from others and you will be seen as a valuable resource rather than just another worker. Is it time consuming? Yes it is. But you move closer to getting the job you want. Always Be Adding Value. ABAV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search