Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 07:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
I would not use numbers, just

first name, middle initial, last name

first initial, last davis

First name, last name

Can't go wrong with either or those type of email addresses.
Is "davis" a catch-all generic last name? Oh, wait, that's YOUR surname. Think people should pass on that and use their own if this is the format they choose ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 11:39 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
If you're applying for jobs that would require a level of professionalism, never use anything other than your name as your email address, and know that some people view using aol, yahoo, hotmail, etc. as pedestrian.

I don't think the format matters. Some examples:

jdoe@gmail.com
john.doe@gmail.com
j_doe@gmail.com
john_doe@gmail.com
j.m.doe@gmail.com
doe_john@gmail.com
doe.john@gmail.com

You can almost always find some variation available to use.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:18 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,449 times
Though a prospective employers won't turn down job offer just because your email address but a professional address will definitely create a good impression.

I would go for first name with custom domain but again it's not required.

Last edited by deadcoder; 03-21-2015 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-21-2015, 11:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoder View Post
Though a prospective employers won't turn down job offer just because your email address but a professional address will definitely create a good impression.

I would go for first name with custom domain but again it's not required.
again, why would it matter? Once you get the job, you normally use the company's email address hence forth... I don't see how an email address "creates a good impression". It's almost the same as picking a "white" name... but stats have shown a whiter name helps so maybe the email/phone area code/address helps too if it sounds richer/white/male? Hows this for email? White_richguy@facebook.com?

Old 03-21-2015, 11:37 PM

268 posts, read 1,133,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
again, why would it matter? Once you get the job, you normally use the company's email address hence forth... I don't see how an email address "creates a good impression". It's almost the same as picking a "white" name...
It definitely matters when someone has email address "coolboy1980@gmail.com" instead of "johnsmith@gmail.com".

Old 03-22-2015, 03:02 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyab523 View Post
No, your email should contain your first or last name. Let's say your name is John Smith, see if j.smith@gmail.com is available. I wouldn't include any numbers.
well what if j.smith or john.smith is taken? I have to use numbers because my name is much too common. It's nearly a John Smith...

Old 03-22-2015, 04:11 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
well what if j.smith or john.smith is taken? I have to use numbers because my name is much too common. It's nearly a John Smith...
Try a different email server. You can get a free email address from gmail, hotmail, yahoo, Apple's iCloud, most ISPs, outlook, etc.

You can get a low cost email address from a bunch more places. For a few dollars a year, you can register your own domain and get mk.punk@mkpunk.com (or .me .org etc).

I am not saying numbers are bad, I am saying that there are a lot of ways around them.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Try a different email server. You can get a free email address from gmail, hotmail, yahoo, Apple's iCloud, most ISPs, outlook, etc.

You can get a low cost email address from a bunch more places. For a few dollars a year, you can register your own domain and get mk.punk@mkpunk.com (or .me .org etc).

I am not saying numbers are bad, I am saying that there are a lot of ways around them.
And you think that a John Smith wouldn't be taken on any of the different servers? The problem is there is a lot of John Smiths, John Jones, John Johnsons and John Kings in the world. I don't see the problem with numbers for that very reason. Numbers are miles above using breastlover68@aol.com for instance.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I think having a number after your name and using gmail or outlook comes across better than using hotmail, yahoo or aol, but that's because everyone had those as personal email accounts back in the day.

You really cannot get around a name that's so common someone already has every iteration of it, so using a number is something that some of you cannot avoid.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:50 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is minutiae that shouldn't have a significant impact by itself.

Ideally your job seeking email address should be some variant of your real name. Whether it is first.last, initial.last, includes a middle name or initial, uses a short form (Mike vs michael) or has a few numbers really won't influence things.

I don't really favor aliases, because it just looks weird. I would not eliminate anybody from consideration for using an alias, unless it was an inappropriate alias, such as sexykitten@....
Correct. I usually use my first initial then last name followed by the name of the city I am seeking employment in. I use each of those emails for the specific cities, then add them to my iPhone and my outlook client at home. It's fairly simple and encourages easy sorting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search