Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 06:41 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times

Advertisements

So asking for my son who is very introverted, he is going to start job searching for the summer. Any tips from those who have a hard time with interviews? We are practicing, but any other ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 06:57 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,489 times
I am not a very social person and dread interviews because how nervous I get. I would of course practice normal interview questions/answers. Have him come up with questions to ask, maybe about the job benefits or whats expected of him, this could just help conversation and make him look more interested. Also make sure he lists out his skills to mention. Knowing some things to say ahead of time can help. I hope he finds something!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
I think the most important things are to make eye contact when greeting people and throughout the interview, and to expand on answers as much as possible.

It isn't that people are introverted that is the problem, it's that the interview can become awkward and like pulling teeth that is the problem. Even if the interviewer asks a question that can be answered with a simple yes or no, expand on it a little and make it as conversational as possible. In other words, make the effort.

You're doing a great job by practicing with your son and I hope he knows how fortunate he is, because not all parents do that. I wish him the best of luck and hope you'll let us know where he lands.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:34 PM

Thanks you both. He is just 15, so headed to find his first job. Funny I am more nervous for him than I would be for myself!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM

123 posts, read 181,415 times
Have him find out a few things about the company that he is interviewing for. It is impressive to know a bit about the business and or product.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
It's never too early to start attending free career skills classes. When I am an very introverted and shy as a an adult, career skills classes were able to help with interview.

My mentors, said I was so shy and would barely speak in the beginning. They were happy with my progress. They said I came out of my shell, after a few months. I was more comfortable in my skin, during job interviews.

The hiring manager told the recruiter, that I was a fantastic interview. They offered $10k above the starting salary. I never made more than $12/hr, but I landed a $50k job offer with the classes.

I will always be an introvert, but I don't fail job interviews any more.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,937 times
Think of them as conversations.
The interviewer is just as nervous as you are.
Look at the interviewer between their eyes, in the center of their forehead. It looks like you're still looking at them in their eyes but removes the anxiety from looking at them dead on in their eye.
Do your research/memorize your work story - that way you won't get nervous over memorizing stuff.
Use your natural listening skills to hear what they want from you - and answer accordingly.
Smile, a lot, and nod enthusiastically... actively listen. Don't get caught in your thoughts, become passive, and try not to think too much. Say what you're thinking, when appropriate.
Don't drink coffee/tea before hand, unless it's decaf. Introverts are already at the optimal "attention" threshold, so drinking coffee pushes them over this.

These are all things that have helped me time and time again. Good luck to your son!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
What about getting him involved with church? I dont go for religious reasons but i go for the social aspect. They tend to like talking and are pushy so he'll learn to at least converse well even as an introvert. Church is a good networking place too

Being introvert doesnt mean you have to be shy or bad at conversations or social events. Might not be your cup of tea, but learn to drink it and it'll be fine, you can down it with coffee later when you are alone. Same as meeting the shy extravert, personalities doesnt have to define social skills but they tend to because social skills arent "taught" in schools outside of a very define definition

Old 03-22-2015, 09:21 PM

Eyeb great suggestion thanks! That is another step we are taking. Poor kid had a hard move and was bullied very badly a few years back. It really caused him to lose any self confidence he had. It's slowly building up.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:26 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
All I can suggest is practice and learn to put on a fake extrovert persona. HR and management discriminate greatly against introverts who are seen as poor communicators who don't work well on teams and just not fun to hang out with at the social club that is work nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search