Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 PM

16 posts, read 13,221 times

Advertisements

With graduation right around the corner I'm getting stressed more and more with the job hunting. I've had several phone interviews and 2 in person interviews (same employer) that was relatively close (1 1/2 hour drive) with nothing promising thus far. My degree is in Computer Information Systems, so I'm looking for entry-level IT work.

I live in WV and I know I'm going to have to relocate most likely out of state, which I have no problem with, I've actually been looking forward to it. I still currently live with with parents and so does my GF who will be moving with me. We both work at Walmart so we can pretty move anywhere there's a Walmart and we could transfer to it. So we could have jobs while I'm still searching for something better but at the same time we'd both be making under $10/hour in the meantime.

Would this be a good idea to get to a better location with more jobs or would this be a bad call? My fear is either a) I still can't find a job in my field or b) I finally land a job but it's somewhere completely away from where we moved and we'd be stuck where we're at due to apartment lease and/or just insufficient funds to move again.

Any thoughts/opinions/experience is greatly appreciated, I need all the advice I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 PM

111 posts, read 179,246 times
Hi Steve,

I'm almost in this same situation. I actually just got a job offer (I think) and I'm graduating next month too. I can't begin to tell you how many jobs I've applied to only to hear rejection. Since you're living with your parents that makes things less stressful. Since you will have combined incomes from living together (I'm assuming...) then I would shoot for moving some place you know the IT industry is doing well at. I have limited knowledge in that arena, but my brother does the same thing and says there are plenty of jobs in that area in San Antonio, TX and I know Austin, TX is also good for that industry. If you guys can get a transfer to another area, I would do so and in the meantime apply like crazy for jobs in that area. Of course if you can save up as much as possible to have an 'emergency fund' that would be great.

Don't stress about it, you'll find something and it may not be great but you just need to get a foot in the door.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corymartine View Post
Hi Steve,

I'm almost in this same situation. I actually just got a job offer (I think) and I'm graduating next month too. I can't begin to tell you how many jobs I've applied to only to hear rejection. Since you're living with your parents that makes things less stressful. Since you will have combined incomes from living together (I'm assuming...) then I would shoot for moving some place you know the IT industry is doing well at. I have limited knowledge in that arena, but my brother does the same thing and says there are plenty of jobs in that area in San Antonio, TX and I know Austin, TX is also good for that industry. If you guys can get a transfer to another area, I would do so and in the meantime apply like crazy for jobs in that area. Of course if you can save up as much as possible to have an 'emergency fund' that would be great.

Don't stress about it, you'll find something and it may not be great but you just need to get a foot in the door.

Good luck!
Hope that job offer works out for you! That's what I've been starting to consider. I just feel like applying to out of state jobs at the entry-level is holding me back to just get my foot in the door somewhere. Why pick me when you could more readily grab someone who already lives there since it's just entry-level?

Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM

111 posts, read 179,246 times
Right! People will pick a local person over someone out of state. Good thing is that Wal-Mart is almost everywhere.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:26 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I would definitely consider transferring with Walmart to a bigger city with reasonable costs to try and get up and running. It's far, far better to be in a place where there are jobs and to apply locally, than to be hours away from any major job center applying remotely. A few cities with decent job markets and reasonable costs would be St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Charlotte, and Pittsburgh.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,113,399 times
If they are interviewing him, they don't care that he is not local. He's screwing up the interview every time. He has no idea why he is failing. He has no practice interviews with people that can give him feedback.

Practice Practice Practice.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
If they are interviewing him, they don't care that he is not local. He's screwing up the interview every time. He has no idea why he is failing. He has no practice interviews with people that can give him feedback.

Practice Practice Practice.
Generally agree with this.

And do your research. I cannot stress this enough. If the job/company is researchable, get to it. And bring that knowledge with you to the interview.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:59 AM

14 posts, read 39,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Generally agree with this.

And do your research. I cannot stress this enough. If the job/company is researchable, get to it. And bring that knowledge with you to the interview.
I think what you said is true, but I don't think the OP is screwing up the interviews. Let's don't just assume that. I am sure the OP is doing his best to get a job. It is a tough market out there with many talented people, and employers will look at your college grades, internship experience, and etc. They want to see what you can bring to the table.

To OP:

Since you are your girl friend will move together. I think it will be best for at least one of you to secure a better job in a area before you guys move there.

Living expenses will be high. There are also too many risks for you guys since you are both new to the area. You don't want to deal with other stress while job searching. I know you could find a Walmart job first, but I don't think that is good enough for you two.

My suggestion would be to continue your job search at where you are right now. Once you find a new job, then move together. That way, at least one of you will have a decent income, and the other one will have less pressure in job searching. I hope for the best!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,114,715 times
Relax. While some employers are hiring grads now, MOST college student, no matter what their major, do not have jobs lined up by graduation. Sure, it's nice, but in reality, it just does not happen all that often. Keep sending out resumes/applying. Focus on less popular areas, stay out of the big cities and you will get offers. There are some pretty big companies in the Midwest that are scrambling for workers. Cost of living is much lower too so you would be able to get a good start financially as well.

Jobs at The Schwan Food Company | Meaningful Careers on a Great Team | Home

https://www.rockwellcollins.com/Care..._Openings.aspx

Sioux Falls jobs at Citi

Just a few to start....

Old 04-08-2015, 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. Yea that's been my original goal Bluesky. I'll be sure to check those out Qwerty.

I just got requested to come back for the 3rd and final interview for the office tour, meeting the team, and to ask any more questions I may have so hopefully this is a good sign.

I will definitely admit I'm not a great interviewer. I'm more of an introvert and not that great at small talk and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search