U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 08:33 PM

736 posts, read 293,439 times

Advertisements

I don't know what happen, but today I received a called for a phone interview for next week and an email request for in person interview from another company. The in person interview wanted to have the interview today, but I did not notice the email until an hour ago, which is too late for today. He/she requested that I fill out a questionnaire and to write a one paragraph describing a hard problem I solved. These are all chemE jobs, one is working in a plant and the other as a researcher. The researcher jobs is temp contract with possibility to upgrade to full time after the the contract expires.

I'm good at in person interviews, but I don't have much experience with phone interviews. Any tips for phone interviews? Should I get those loudspeaker phones? I don't like holding my phone when speaking, it throws me off since I naturally want to gesture or use my hands.

I know how to interview in person, but any tips I would appreciate it. I'm fairly certain, I will have to interview tomorrow for the research position. The email gave me the impression like they need some one right away. I applied yesterday too. Hopefully, the pay is good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:08 PM

595 posts, read 1,105,913 times
For phone interviews a quiet area I had gardeners go by with leaf blowers and it did not impress favorably.

Let the interviewer have their full say. I thought the question was asked and was told that since I wanted to run the interview my way it was over. I think she was hungry but she recorded I interrupted her question.

If you do get a fair interview, most of your questions will be to verify things and do you have any questions. I have always gotten an in person interview when the recruiter seemed like a partner rather than someone who was trying to disqualify you.

Don't use your speaker on a phone call, they sound really unprofessional even if the recruiter is using one, it sounds like you're doing something else more important than the interview. Try some practice calls using one hand for gesturing since gesturing is natural for you.

Try to get a good nights rest and good luck!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 53,414,086 times
When it comes to phone interviews make sure you follow these tips below and you will get a face to face interview with no problem.

1. Stand up while you are speaking

2. Smile while you are talking to the interviewer

3. Let the interviewer do most of the talking.

4. Make it seem like a phone conversation instead of a phone interview

5. Ask the next steps in the hiring process before the phone interview is over

Old 04-10-2015, 11:52 PM

902 posts, read 1,016,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
When it comes to phone interviews make sure you follow these tips below and you will get a face to face interview with no problem.

1. Stand up while you are speaking

2. Smile while you are talking to the interviewer

3. Let the interviewer do most of the talking.

4. Make it seem like a phone conversation instead of a phone interview

5. Ask the next steps in the hiring process before the phone interview is over
Pretty spot on. Make sure you also do some research so you can bring up relevant topics! Phone interviews are screens - if you don't seem interested they just won't continue with you in the process.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:57 AM

928 posts, read 957,860 times
The initial phone interview is to usually screen you out. They will ask questions like why you want to leave your current job or why you are out of work, fishing for anything negative that you will say or anything that will disqualify you. Never say you were laid off, fired, etc., it's always "it wasn't a great fit so it was time to move on".

So be careful, have your answers rehearsed and ready to go. They may ask for compensation, like what you earned before and what you want to earn. Try to dodge these and say, I am more interested in learning about the position and seeing if it is a great fit. If we both agree that it is a great fit, I am sure that you will offer me the right compensation. Not always possible, but most phone interviews will try to get an answer out of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search