U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 06:46 PM

305 posts, read 591,653 times

Advertisements

I'm trying my hardest not to get ripped off again. I applied for a staffing agency a week back, applying for a job in Jr. Motion Design. I got a call today and the recruiter left a message. I called her back and asked her what time she closes. She told me about the job itself and asked me if I could do a program. The call dropped, but she managed to give me the name of her company so I can research her. My phone froze and shut off so I can't call her back. Turns out it's a staffing agency and not a genuine company. I don't know if staffing agencies are legit or not so I wanted to ask if it's a good idea. I might have just blew it with that phone call.

Here's the link to the ad.
http://webconnect.sendouts.com/CN_Fr...&ApplyNewCan=0
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 06:52 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,120,751 times
This makes zero sense, like many of your posts. You applied with a staffing agency, they called back, now you're asking if they're legit? Come on.

Of course staffing agencies are legit. There are tons of them. Ranstad, Manpower, and a hundred (thousand) more.

And how do you think the agency you applied with is not a genuine company?

Just look at their website and glassdoor, etc.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:02 PM

305 posts, read 591,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
This makes zero sense, like many of your posts. You applied with a staffing agency, they called back, now you're asking if they're legit? Come on.

Of course staffing agencies are legit. There are tons of them. Ranstad, Manpower, and a hundred (thousand) more.

And how do you think the agency you applied with is not a genuine company?

Just look at their website and glassdoor, etc.
If you looked at my previous posts, you'd see that I ran into a similar situation with another staffing agency and ended up enrolling in the Art Institute thinking the company would help me find a job I spent forever looking for.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:06 PM

38,727 posts, read 29,120,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
If you looked at my previous posts, you'd see that I ran into a similar situation with another staffing agency and ended up enrolling in the Art Institute thinking the company would help me find a job I spent forever looking for.
I saw that post and it made no sense whatsoever. None. Zero. Zilch.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 981 times
You should be very careful with the staffing company you pick. I have both very and very bad experience with staffing agencies. I got one job from a agency called ledgent, it is a very nice staffing, good reputation, good service and very fast placement. My agent who work with me is very friendly and helpful. The company I work with is also top rated.

But I also have very bad experience from another agency call AM solutions. They placed me a job called" temp to perm", but it turned out just last one week. When I was there on my first day, I was not even provided a workstation, but use someone else's instead. Computer, desk and everything else are all others, by the end of day, I asked my supervisor if it is a "temp to perm" " are you still gonna hire me next week?'" they said "yes" but it just last one week, the real thing they need is helping them on a excel data processing project. The supervisor kept asking me to teach him how to use the vlookup, after my project is finished and training him, they just let me go without any reason, even did not give me time to get my personal stuff. The most ironic part is, one night the agent called me to confirm that is position is "temp to perm" and I asked to her then why I do not have a own desktop, she said because they are so busy to do that and my behavior is "insuborinated". When they terminate my assignment, the agent threaten me over the phone like" I am the employer and I have the right to call you during the midnight!"

Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM

9,893 posts, read 14,857,786 times
Although many are legit, they are typically sleazy and cater to companies that are sleazy. I have not found them to be a good source for decent jobs and decent companies. As the previous poster said they always claim temp to hire. However, only 27% are actually hired. What temp to hire really means is there is a clause in the contract between the client and agency that if you work temp for a specified period the company can hire you directly with no or a reduced fee. It does not indicate that the company has the intention of actually doing so.

Staffing agencies have been commented on extensively on this forum but they are notorious for all kind of very dubious and sleazy practices.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 05-28-2015 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 11:31 AM

29,334 posts, read 22,169,500 times
I get calls routinely from them. The bigger ones are legit, but there are a lot of fly by night shops that come and go. Also, if you work for an agency and that agency goes under, your employment with the client is terminated. I've seen that happen on occasion. I would avoid dealing with an agency unless I had no other option for employment.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:03 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,188,195 times
Staffing Agencies are VERY legit. However, these positions are not very glamorous. Usually no benefits, low pay, perma temp situations. Unless you have tons of experience in a career and have specialized headhunters coming after you, I wouldn't expect anything jaw dropping to come from a staffing agency.

That being said, a job is better than being unemployed, and sometimes the temp positions DO lead to full-time employment with the company you get assigned to. Staffing agencies have definitely helped me in my career multiple times.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:40 PM

239 posts, read 327,011 times
lets get the terminology correct, they are "temp-to-fire" positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search